University of Washington Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveableCoconut

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Future Classmates!!

Let's get this started!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Future Classmates!!

Let's get this started!!

I am so excited that someone started this thread! :D

Are you in WA right now LoveableCoconut? I am in Chicago until August, unfortunately. I miss Seattle tremendously and going to the interview just made it worse...

Hey ilovelucy!

I actually live in Philly. Although I'm from California (I grew in the Central Valley and lived in San Francisco for a few years), Seattle seems like a great place and I can see why you'd miss it so.

I haven't received my acceptance packet yet (only emails from one of my interviewers and the admissions office), have you? If so, what are the goodie inside?

Members don't see this ad :)
hello! i havent received my packet yet either. I live in NYC right now but grew up in Seattle and am excited to be there for a few days next week! ilovelucy, where in WA are you from?

Hey ilovelucy!

I actually live in Philly. Although I'm from California (I grew in the Central Valley and lived in San Francisco for a few years), Seattle seems like a great place and I can see why you'd miss it so.

I haven't received my acceptance packet yet (only emails from one of my interviewers and the admissions office), have you? If so, what are the goodie inside?

I received my packet about two weeks after I was accepted. It is actually quite a boring packet. Just some infor about WAMI and the school and the acceptance form that requires you to tentatively or firmly accept the offer. Then you have to fill out a background check form which will initiate the process you start online (the link was in the acceptance offer).

The best part of the packet is that there is not a deposit for the school. The background check costs $69 so maybe they decided to wave it.

hello! i havent received my packet yet either. I live in NYC right now but grew up in Seattle and am excited to be there for a few days next week! ilovelucy, where in WA are you from?

I grew up in Shoreline near the lake, just a little North of Seattle.

Is UWSOM your first choice? I just withdrew from all of my schools this week, and even though UW is my first choice I still found it tough withdrawing after putting so much work into this whole process.

how long after your interview did it take to hear back from UWSOM? How did you hear?

I heard back the day of the EXCOM meeting (one of the interviewers from my panel interview emailed me). I also received an email from the admissions office the next business day.

Specifically, my interview was on Thursday, November 29th and I was notified on Friday, December 7th (interviewer's email) and again on Monday, December 9th (adcom's email).

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

how long after your interview did it take to hear back from UWSOM? How did you hear?

I received a handwritten letter for an EXCOM member on Sat. after their Friday meeting. I was officially notified by email on the following Monday.

I also heard by email on Monday Dec. 10th. I have not totally made up my mind yet so I may have to tentatively accept I suppose! I am in the process of withdrawing most of my other apps. I agree its hard to do...although in the end what would I do with more than 1 acceptance anyway. I thought I had heard of a UW second look but can't seem to find any more info on this...there's nothing in the packet is there?

I also heard by email on Monday Dec. 10th. I have not totally made up my mind yet so I may have to tentatively accept I suppose! I am in the process of withdrawing most of my other apps. I agree its hard to do...although in the end what would I do with more than 1 acceptance anyway. I thought I had heard of a UW second look but can't seem to find any more info on this...there's nothing in the packet is there?

Not that I remember....but I can take a look later (at work right now ;) ).

Lets get this going again! I think there's another excome meeting this week so hopefully more people will find out soon. So are you all definitely going to UW? Where else would you be considering if not?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm definitely going! I even got a seattle cell phone number (I just completed my old contract)! I will probably move to Seattle in late June or early July. Still debating, though, if I should apply for the pre-matriculation course.

Any updates from anyone else?

I am definitely going to be there next year as well. cant wait.

I am so excited that everyone is deciding on UW. I am definitely enjoying my time off from school but excited to start nonetheless.

I just invited a few people that said they just received an acceptance to join this thread.

Congrats everyone!

Did everyone put Seattle as their #1 choice? I did, but I am still debating on puting in a request for Spokane -- smaller class (around 30 people) and much cheaper for rent, living expenses, less distractions, etc....

What are your thoughts on this???

I put Seattle as my first choice, Pullman as my second, and didn't list Spokane. The Spokane site makes me a little nervous since it will be its first year. I really hope that I'm in Seattle though--after 7 years of being away for college and then a research position, I'm ready to be back near home.

hi all!!

so i think i'm about 70% leaning towards UWSOM over staying in Texas. Like most Texas residents, it's hard to pass up the cheap tuition for 60K extra in loans, but I just absolutely loved UW.

does anyone know when the pre-mat program starts this summer? i know its months away, but i'm trying to plan around going to a friends wedding.

also, i'm thinking of starting a facebook group, but i wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts on that.

if anyone is interested i've started a group for us on facebook. search for UWSOM Class of 2012...don't leave me by myself for too long ;)

Hello all -

1) I tried to find the facebook group since I'm on there more often than SDN now that I'm done with the application cycle but couldn't find it anywhere.

2) Does anyone know if the dates for orientation have been set yet? My family wants to come up for the occasion but the website still has dates for fall 2007.

Thanks!

Hello all -

1) I tried to find the facebook group since I'm on there more often than SDN now that I'm done with the application cycle but couldn't find it anywhere.

2) Does anyone know if the dates for orientation have been set yet? My family wants to come up for the occasion but the website still has dates for fall 2007.

Thanks!

As far as I know, the dates have not been set. As soon as someone knows, please post. :D

the group comes up when you search now. apparently it takes a few days to enter the system. join us!!

Recently accpeted to UW SOM!!!!!

Congrats to everyone!

Im just having a little trouble deciding whether or not I should go to my u chicago interview...i really liked washington! :love::love:

if anyone is interested i've started a group for us on facebook. search for UWSOM Class of 2012...don't leave me by myself for too long ;)

I just joined! How exciting!:hardy::hardy:

Congratulations on your acceptance!! :D

Hey all!

So I'm assuming that all the OOS kids received the e-mail today about selecting Washington sites...I was a little confused since I thought we all stayed in Seattle. I called Stella and she said that they had received some requests for OOS students to be placed at the Spokane or Pullman sites. However, we aren't part of the actual match that happens for the other Washington students, so if you want to stay in Seattle, then just say so in your reply to Pat.

Hope this helps anyone who was confused like i was. :)

I can't even say how happy I am to be posting on this...

Congrats to everybody. Really, really happy to be a part of this school

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Congratulations on your acceptance!!

Grazie. You too!

I'm almost as excited to withdraw from everywhere else as I am to be accepted to UW. I can see why schools have such a thing for rejecting people- I'm feeling like I get to reject them now and it feels awesome

Congrats to everyone! I just got my email yesterday and I'm still in shock.

I just turned down the UCSF interview, so it looks like I'm coming to UW as well!

Anyone else want to find a nice place on Lake Washington to rent? My philosophy is that the good life shouldn't have to wait ten years. I think waterskiing before class would take some of the stress out of school...

This one was listed on craigslist, I'm sure more will come.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/550185046.html

I just turned down the UCSF interview, so it looks like I'm coming to UW as well!

Anyone else want to find a nice place on Lake Washington to rent? My philosophy is that the good life shouldn't have to wait ten years. I think waterskiing before class would take some of the stress out of school...

This one was listed on craigslist, I'm sure more will come.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/apa/550185046.html

Like the idea, but over 4 years, that place would be 25k more than where I'm living now in cap hill.

How do you feel about robbing banks?

Like the idea, but over 4 years, that place would be 25k more than where I'm living now in cap hill.

How do you feel about robbing banks?

Where in capital hill do you live? Some of my favorite restaurants are up there....honey hole, pho cyclo, julias.....oh I can't wait to come back to Seattle!

Anybody signing up for the pre-mat programs or know anything about them? I remember something being mentioned about them on the interview day - biochem, etc. in the summer so that you can have a little refresher before the real work begins.

I was wondering if the pre-mat program is pretty competative?? how do they select candidates? thanks

Where in capital hill do you live? Some of my favorite restaurants are up there....honey hole, pho cyclo, julias.....oh I can't wait to come back to Seattle!

I'm @ 23rd and Roy, on the 43/48 lines. I like the location and it is cheeeeeeeap.

How cheap are we talking?

<$2k for a four bedroom house.

Which is weird, because I recently moved here from San Francisco, where friends of mine paid that for one bedroom apartments. I'm still thinking there's a chance our landlord smokes rocks.

<$2k for a four bedroom house.

Which is weird, because I recently moved here from San Francisco, where friends of mine paid that for one bedroom apartments. I'm still thinking there's a chance our landlord smokes rocks.

Get out of here...last time I was in Seattle I couldn't find a decent studio for under $650 in that area....you are sooo lucky. :D

Get out of here...last time I was in Seattle I couldn't find a decent studio for under $650 in that area....you are sooo lucky. :D

You can live in our basement with all the bikes, skis, and snowboards for, say, 60 bucks.

I'm thinking I'm gonna be here for the next 4 years... we have a solid backyard for BBQs in the summer, and we're working on getting a hot tub.

Do you feel like we are the only ones that check this?

If anyone wants to talk about anything other than my house, feel free to chime in...

All I have to say is after living in the armpit of WA that is Tacoma for the last 6 years...I'll live anywhere Seattle has to offer, even a basement full of someone else's crap :)

All I have to say is after living in the armpit of WA that is Tacoma for the last 6 years...I'll live anywhere Seattle has to offer, even a basement full of someone else's crap :)

Tacoma. Livin' the Dream...

Come on over. Bring arrested development.

Last edited by a moderator:
I need help trying to find a place in Seattle. I'm not familiar with the area (I'm from CA and I currently live in Philly), so looking for a place to live is proving difficult.

Can anyone direct me to a person, rental agency, etc. that's cool with UWSOM student renters? I've already checked out craigslist and the UW housing website, but I'm thinking there may be other, better options that I don't know about.

Many, many thanks in advance for any help.

I need help trying to find a place in Seattle. I'm not familiar with the area (I'm from CA and I currently live in Philly), so looking for a place to live is proving difficult.

Can anyone direct me to a person, rental agency, etc. that's cool with UWSOM student renters? I've already checked out craigslist and the UW housing website, but I'm thinking there may be other, better options that I don't know about.

Many, many thanks in advance for any help.

I don't know of any agencies, but if I remember correctly, the school is going to send out information about housing, and links to some kind of med student message board that could probably get you well on your way.

I am in Seattle now, so feel free to PM me if you have any ?s about parts of town, etc. I moved here from the bay area a few months back so I am by no means the expert, but I'll try to help. Good luck with the house hunting.

Craigslist is probably the best place to find an actual house in Seattle. There is also roommates.com, etc.

However there are also many townhomes and apartment complexes that you might be interested in renting. In which case it simply helps to know which area you want to live in then search from there i.e. U district, freemont, green lake, wallingford, capital hill, queen anne, belltown, etc. All of these areas are fairly close to UW, but they differ greatly in price and relative perks. I grew up in Seattle, so I can give you a quick breakdown of the areas if you're interested otherwise I would recommend finding out what you can on the internet or making another trip out west.

Chinese food...check. Seasons 1 and 2 of AD...check. Sounds like you've got a new stealth basement dweller :)

In all seriousness, when are ya'll planning on trying to find housing given the Spokane/Pullman factor?