University of Washington Class of 2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The 2008 Orientation Dates have been posted. This is from the website:

First Year Orientation Dates
Wyoming: August 1-2
WSU/UI: August 8-9
UAA: August 16-19
MSU: TBA
Seattle: August 25-29

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, so, this might not be the best place to ask this, but I figure you all would know. Did you all get e-mails/phone calls if you got waitlisted/accepted? I interviewed last week and just saw a "Action has been taken on your application" on my status page but received no e-mails/phone calls. Should I be bracing for a rejection letter (on Valentine's Day no less).

Hey, so, this might not be the best place to ask this, but I figure you all would know. Did you all get e-mails/phone calls if you got waitlisted/accepted? I interviewed last week and just saw a "Action has been taken on your application" on my status page but received no e-mails/phone calls. Should I be bracing for a rejection letter (on Valentine's Day no less).

The acceptance comes by email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did everyone put Seattle as their #1 choice? I did, but I am still debating on puting in a request for Spokane -- smaller class (around 30 people) and much cheaper for rent, living expenses, less distractions, etc....

What are your thoughts on this???

I am a current 2nd year student who did his first year out at WSU. I would put Pullman as your 2nd choice. The education out there is superb... I feel the anatomy was definitely stronger than that provided in Seattle plus I know for a fact that the performance of the students in the 2nd year is on par if not better. The smaller class sizes allows you to get a unique medical school experience. Also the preceptorships are a lot better... you might even get to close on patients (surgery lingo) as did many of my classmates out at the site.

Hit me back if you have further questions.

I am a current 2nd year student who did his first year out at WSU. I would put Pullman as your 2nd choice. The education out there is superb... I feel the anatomy was definitely stronger than that provided in Seattle plus I know for a fact that the performance of the students in the 2nd year is on par if not better. The smaller class sizes allows you to get a unique medical school experience. Also the preceptorships are a lot better... you might even get to close on patients (surgery lingo) as did many of my classmates out at the site.

Hit me back if you have further questions.

Thanks for the info. tazaman! What are your thoughts on the new Spokane site?

Hey, congratulations to everyone so far! You're going to love UW, though winter quarter has been kind of bear so far. Still, I can't believe how much I've learned in such a short time. Feel free to hit me with any questions.

Hi everyone, Congratulations!!

I was accepted to UWSOM in November and have been wanting to meet some of my future classmates - would anyone here in Seattle want to get together for coffee or something? I only know of one other person so far who's also been accepted at UW (I heard they wait till April with most applications).

Then again, I was an anthropology major and don't know many other pre-meds, so maybe there are more future classmates wandering around campus than I realize...

Can't wait to meet my future colleagues! ;)

The acceptance comes by email.

I interviewed at UW last year and this year (turned out better this time).

They send you a routine email 1 - 2 weeks after the interview saying whether you've been accepted or waitlisted (rare) or rejected or kept under consideration while they consider the next round of applications. My understanding is that they keep most application till April. So it's probably just the still-under-consideration email.

They send you a routine email 1 - 2 weeks after the interview saying whether you've been accepted or waitlisted (rare) or rejected or kept under consideration while they consider the next round of applications. My understanding is that they keep most application till April.

They don't waitlist anyone until the final ex-comm meeting at the end of march. It's all acceptances, rejections, and that damn competitive pool until then.

I am an Alaska WWAMI student, about to graduate. You will love UWSOM and Seattle! Congrats to all! :clap: :clap:

Any UW upperclassmen here? I'm trying to figure out dates for some possible away electives in July, August, or September. The UW site doesn't list anything beyond June 2008, as far as I can tell, anyway.

Thanks. :D

hey everyone. congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. i was accepted back in november and don't think i've indicated my preference for location for the first year (seattle, pullman, spokane). It's possible that I did and just forgot in all the excitement. For those who have also been accepted, at what point did you indicate your preferences?

hey everyone. congrats to everyone who has been accepted so far. i was accepted back in november and don't think i've indicated my preference for location for the first year (seattle, pullman, spokane). It's possible that I did and just forgot in all the excitement. For those who have also been accepted, at what point did you indicate your preferences?[/quote

Preferences had to be indicated as part of the secondary application in order for it to be complete. I am sure that if you called admissions they could let you know what you selected. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
First off, many thanks to all of you for your advice on finding a place. Thankfully, I'll be living with one of my best friends. He's been living in Seattle for a couple years now, so I'll let him deal with finding a place for the two of us (actually 3 cause he has a dog).

Now I'm diverting my attention to financial aid. My FAFSA has been processed and now I just have to wait to get my financial aid packet. Does anyone have any insights regarding this process (timeline, etc.), especially regarding out-of-state applicants?

By the way, I'm so excited about next year!!! Sometimes I just stop whatever it is I'm doing (working, eating, posting on SDN, etc.) and just smile for a good while. I really can't believe I'm going to UW!!!!

By the way, I'm so excited about next year!!! Sometimes I just stop whatever it is I'm doing (working, eating, posting on SDN, etc.) and just smile for a good while. I really can't believe I'm going to UW!!!!

You have no idea... the bus I take to and from work everyday goes by the med center. Then, for the rest of the bus ride, I think about how far away August seems.

Working sucks.

Hi All,

So I spoke with Amen yesterday about the Second Look weekend that is sponsored by OMCA and I just thought that I would share what I found out. All non-MSTP Out of Region people are invited as well as some people from WWAMI. It will probably be the 2nd or 3rd weekend in April and the school covers your flight, hotel and food. More to come mid to late March.

Hi All,

So I spoke with Amen yesterday about the Second Look weekend that is sponsored by OMCA and I just thought that I would share what I found out. All non-MSTP Out of Region people are invited as well as some people from WWAMI. It will probably be the 2nd or 3rd weekend in April and the school covers your flight, hotel and food. More to come mid to late March.

WORD?!

Hi All,

No way! That is awesome. Keep us updated!:D

Congrats to everyone!!

So--I am coming from Cali-
Im just wondering what everyone is doing for housing- are you waiting until 2nd look to find roomies/apartments???

:hardy:

Does anyone know when the first wwami drawing is? I am curious about when we might start hearing about our first year site placement.

Does anyone know when the first wwami drawing is? I am curious about when we might start hearing about our first year site placement.

Not sure if this applies to what you're referring to (I'm from CA, thus not a WWAMI resident), but I received an email on 1/22/08 from the admissions office requesting me to list (and rank) 3 sites and email that list back to them; I emailed my list the same day. I was notified on 2/1/08 of my placement (Seattle) via email.

It works differently because you are OS. You get to choose your site, unlike us Washingtonians we get selected through a matching process. I was wanted to know if anyone knew of when the first wwami drawing was taking place.

It works differently because you are OS. You get to choose your site, unlike us Washingtonians we get selected through a matching process. I was wanted to know if anyone knew of when the first wwami drawing was taking place.

The acceptance email says, "The process of matching Washington sudents to the Pullman, Seattle, or Spokane sites should be completed by the first part of April. We will inform you immediately thereafter concerning which of your preferences has been met."

I was aware of what the email says but when i was picking through some of last years threads it looked like they did one match at the end of feb and a second one in april. Just wanted to see if anyone had heard if they were doing the same this year. Last year people accepted early in the cycle knew of their placement by the first week of march. Bummer if we have to til april.

Are there any other Alaska WWAMI students interviewing next week? I am wondering if the interview will include questions that are specific to Alaska Health issues? Anyone who has last minute interview advice at UW is much appreciated.

Are any of the WA people requesting Spokane or Pullman?
I put Seattle as my first choice, but I am still considering volunteering for Spokane....
It would be nice to be in a small class, but my support system is in Seattle. I am torn.
What about you?

I can tell you that if I get in, I'll go to Spokane. Am still waiting for the final EXCOM though...

I put Seattle as my first choice, but I am still considering volunteering for Spokane....
It would be nice to be in a small class, but my support system is in Seattle. I am torn.
What about you?

Ditto. I just moved here over the summer, am enjoying learning the city and don't really want to uproot and start over somewhere else.

But it would be nice to have the smaller group, Kumbaya kind of first year experience.

We'll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys! Congratulations on your acceptances!

Last edited:
In the spirit of having a social life while we still have the time, some fellow future classmates are trying to put together an evening of comically awkward drinking with strangers (future best friends, rest assured). We are thinking happy hour on Friday at Hopvine in capitol hill. For all of you in Seattle who want to play the name game, I will be there Friday around 5:30.

Anyone interested?

I would but I am in Chicago until August *sigh*

same here. sounds like fun but i'm stuck on the east coast for the next few months.

Sounds like this was a bit premature :rolleyes: Maybe we will do it again in the summer...at a bar on the water once the sun is out for good. :cool:

Just an update from my conversations with the OMCA office: Second Look weekend will be April 17-20, with official invitations and travel arrangements to be made after the 1st. Perhaps we can set up a bar night over that weekend.

Also, does anyone know if UWSOM publishes their match list?

Just an update from my conversations with the OMCA office: Second Look weekend will be April 17-20, with official invitations and travel arrangements to be made after the 1st. Perhaps we can set up a bar night over that weekend.

Also, does anyone know if UWSOM publishes their match list?

I have also been trying to find this match list.....has anyone been able to find it on the website??

Thanks!

Hi Guys!

I'm excited to find this thread! Congrats to all! UWSOM is a dream come true for me. I can't wait to meet everyone ;)

Quick question: is the second look day only for folks directly affiliated with the OMCA?

hope that spring has sprung where you are.
We're still waiting here in NY....

Hi Guys!

I'm excited to find this thread! Congrats to all! UWSOM is a dream come true for me. I can't wait to meet everyone ;)

Quick question: is the second look day only for folks directly affiliated with the OMCA?

hope that spring has sprung where you are.
We're still waiting here in NY....

Second look is sponsored by OMCA and from what they've told me all out of region prospectives are invited as well as some people from the WWAMI region, but not everyone. I don't know who from WWAMI gets invited, maybe people are still "Tentative" and not "Firm"

Has anyone gotten news about which first-year site they will be at? I know they said "early April" but I am really anxious to know where I will be (I put "no preference" on my secondary - it seemed like a good idea at the time ...)

Has anyone gotten news about which first-year site they will be at? I know they said "early April" but I am really anxious to know where I will be (I put "no preference" on my secondary - it seemed like a good idea at the time ...)

I wish i knew the answer to this as well. Ive called and emailed a couple of times but no one will give me a date. They just keep saying sometime after all the excom decisions from the final meetings are sent out. If you get more info please let us know.

No preference? I like your style... that's pretty ballsy.

I've never been to Spokane or Pullman, so I'm not sure if I should be dreading getting WWAMI'ed...

Just got a waitlist acceptance to Wash U... and I'm taking it. So that should open a spot up for someone! Good luck, everybody!

I'm really excited to find out when we will be placed also! I guess early April is pretty ambiguous...hopefully soon! whats everyone up to these next few months?
i'm still working my "glide year" job at a special ed preschool in manhattan...and so excited for UW in the fall!

I just got the email - I'm going to Pullman/Moscow!!!! Sunshine and Idaho potatoes, yippee!

Anyone who gets placed there, let me know - we should get together!

Congrats to those accepted to UW. I live in Seattle but was rejected and will be moving away at the end of June to another school. Anyway, I will be vacating a two bedroom apartment that is perfect for UW students in case anyone will be looking for apartments at that time. It's big enough for my wife and I and a home based business. The building is quiet with only minor complaint of that the landlord lives upstairs. It means immediate problem solving but sometimes he may seem nosy. All in all, not too bad.

It is 5 blocks east of Greenlake, just off I-5, and directly on a busline to campus (about 2-3 miles from the med facilities). I did my post-bac work at UW and loved how easy the bus and bike commute were. Plus, you can't beat Greenlake on a sunny day.

Currently the rent is $950/month but I wouldn't be surprised to see the landlord try to bump it up a little.

Anyway, just throwing it out there if anyone's interested and is around in May/June. I have no say in setting up the lease but I could introduce to the landlord before it is advertised.

Congrats! I'm a 1st year WSU/UI WWAMI student, and just wanted to tell anyone that is disappointed by being "WWAMI'd" that its not so bad. I actually am really grateful that it turned out that way for me (despite the fact that my fiance is in Seattle and I think I cried when I first found out, haha). You really get a unique small-class experience in Pullman, and I think most people in my class really appreciate that alot.

Anyways, again, congrats!

I am going to Spokane! Who is joining me?

I'm going to Spokane too! I wasn't thrilled when I found out, but after a lot of research and talking to people from the area I think it will be a good year. Are any of you Spokane WWAMI people going to the visit day in May?

I didn't know there was a visit day in May! I am still in Chicago, so I don't think that I will make it. :( I am actually excited to be going to Spokane. I changed it to my #1 choice a couple of weeks ago.