University of Washington Eligibility

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IAMS

in the scheme of things
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The University of Washington Admissions website says that only residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho are eligible, unless an applicant can demonstrate they will be serving an underserved area.
How does one demonstrate this?
Does anyone know if they hear out of this area applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

ingamina said:
The University of Washington Admissions website says that only residents of Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana and Idaho are eligible, unless an applicant can demonstrate they will be serving an underserved area.
How does one demonstrate this?
Does anyone know if they hear out of this area applicants?

you demonstrate this in your secondary essay and i did a pretty good job i think and still got rejected in a matter of just a couple of weeks (ca resident with pretty good stats and ec's). no offense, but you're going to get rejected if you're not from one of those states. i suggest you save the money although it's only like 35 bucks or soemthing. i'm not aware of a single resident not from one of those states who got an interview.

constructor said:
you demonstrate this in your secondary essay and i did a pretty good job i think and still got rejected in a matter of just a couple of weeks (ca resident with pretty good stats and ec's). no offense, but you're going to get rejected if you're not from one of those states. i suggest you save the money although it's only like 35 bucks or soemthing. i'm not aware of a single resident not from one of those states who got an interview.

That really sucks. This was my first choice. They are a very well ranked school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a first year at UW, and I think I know of 1, maybe 2 students who aren't WWAMI residents. That's not counting MSTP, of course.

I'm out of state - got an e-mail about 3 weeks ago saying they are still considering my application. Don't have a rejection letter yet, but don't know what that means at this point. I can still hope!

cathyg said:
I'm out of state - got an e-mail about 3 weeks ago saying they are still considering my application. Don't have a rejection letter yet, but don't know what that means at this point. I can still hope!

hrm, maybe alabama being an underrepresented state in UWashington?

Yeah, they definitely rejected me quickly as an out-of-state (NV) with a committement to underserved areas and reasonably good stats/ECs. I figured they would, but when you're spending thousands on apps, why not an extra $35 on the off-chance they might accept me?