dnickers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Wyoming
Status
Anyone here going to be starting med school in Laramie with me next year? UWash and the WWAMI program seem absolutely awesome. I'm really excited! I'm the guy that brews his own beer and throws the parties that you feel guilty for going to because you should be studying. We're gonna have a blast! :thumbup:

jj22

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status
I will be there as well. Where are you going to live? Let me know. I am very excited too.

JimmyPopAli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
dnickers said:
Anyone here going to be starting med school in Laramie with me next year? UWash and the WWAMI program seem absolutely awesome. I'm really excited! I'm the guy that brews his own beer and throws the parties that you feel guilty for going to because you should be studying. We're gonna have a blast! :thumbup:
Hello. I'll be there too. I have no clue where I'll be living... I really don't want to live on campus at all.. so I'll probably head out to Laramie to look for a place this summer. Do either of you live there? or know much about the housing situation in Laramie? (ie.. cost, location, quality)

JimmyPopAli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
Also.. when do classes start? I assume the 8th since orientation is the 6-7th.

OP
D

dnickers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Wyoming
Status
I'm from Big Horn originally, but I lived in Laramie last summer for a couple of months. I would suggest looking for a house near campus. There are a lot of them sorrounding campus, especially on the West and North sides. You could easily live within walking distance. Compared to other places I've lived (IA, MN, CA, & TX) housing is fairly cheap. Just stay away from West Laramie. It's not like East Oakland or anything but it's noisy cause it's where all the dudes who go to WYOTECH and spend their lives souping up their trucks live. There are plenty of apartments if you're looking to live by yourself, but I don't know too much about the different places. I do know that there is a giant complex down south at 20-somethingth street where tons of UW students live that tends to be a little like animal house. I'm looking to get a house with my brother who's an undergrad there and some other friends. I think that will be a nice way to have a non-med school place to come home to sometimes.

I wish I knew when classes started too. You're probably right about the 8th. Don't we do 4 weeks of Gross Anatomy before we get started with everything else? I think I heard someone say that it starts sometime around then.

Congrats on your acceptances! I was glad for the email on Friday. I didn't get my letter until the next day and it was looking awfully thin and devoid of promise before I opened it. BTW did either of you interview at UW on Monday?

OP
D

dnickers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Wyoming
Status
From Silvia Moore:

Yes, classes will begin on August 8th. Like Seattle, we teach
Anatomy as a block course prior to the rest of the semester classes.
Unlike Seattle, we split the course into two parts - teaching the trunk
course for 3 weeks in August and the Head & Neck course for 2 weeks in
January. At the WWAMI contract meeting, we will bring a draft schedule
for all of you.
Regards,
Sylvia

Anyone know how many cadavers there will be? I thought I heard someone say maybe only two...

JimmyPopAli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
Where and When is this contract meeting? .. and I don't know anything about the cadavers.

dnickers said:
From Silvia Moore:

Yes, classes will begin on August 8th. Like Seattle, we teach
Anatomy as a block course prior to the rest of the semester classes.
Unlike Seattle, we split the course into two parts - teaching the trunk
course for 3 weeks in August and the Head & Neck course for 2 weeks in
January. At the WWAMI contract meeting, we will bring a draft schedule
for all of you.
Regards,
Sylvia

Anyone know how many cadavers there will be? I thought I heard someone say maybe only two...

jj22

10+ Year Member
Aug 4, 2004
Status
I interviewed on Monday at UW too. Also, thanks for the info.

OP
D

dnickers

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 21, 2004
Wyoming
Status
I guess everyone has gotten the email on the contract meeting, but in case you haven't, it's Tuesday, April 19, from 1-3. They said it's mandatory, so I guess we'll all have to be there. See you then!

NeuroSync

Every day is a good day
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2005
Puget Sound
Status
Attending Physician
Hi, everyone. I'm a WA applicant, so I'll be in Seattle the first year, but we'll all be here for year two. I just wanted to say hello.

As for brewing beer, maybe we could have a "brew-off" before we start the clinical rotations! :D

CanuckRazorback

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2004
Hog Heaven
Status
I won't be in Laramie since I'm not a WYO resident, but I went there for undergrad. I dissected lower extremeties as an undergrad and we had 4 cadavers that year. I don't know if that has changed though.

For housing, you guys should seriously consider on-campus apartments. I lived there my last year and loved it. I paid just over $300 for a 1BR apartment, everything included (cable, phone, electrics, gas, etc.) It's nice not to get a single bill. If you think you might be interested, you should call ASAP because sometimes there is a waitlist. You can also call Century 21 in Laramie and they have a list of apartments for rent. That's how I got my apt. when I first moved there. A lot of my friends rented houses too and it was very affordable. If you can, avoid 2800 Garfield St. The heater is in the middle of the living room and it gets really cold in the winter. One more thing, it would be a good idea to scope out apartments in Laramie before you move. I got in town a couple weeks before school started and most of the places that were left were, well, not that great.

By the way, Dr. Culver is the best :)

You can PM if you want more info.

JimmyPopAli

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 28, 2004
Status
Hello CanuckRazorback.. You mentioned that you had a one bedroom apartment in Laramie for roughly $300+/month.. I'm looking at their campus apartment site and the cheapest I see is $432/month unfurnished.

http://uwadmnweb.uwyo.edu/reslife-dining/Apartments/cost.htm

I haven't spent more than 2 days straight in Laramie much less inquired about their campus apartments. Where is it that you lived? And do you know if the WWAMI students have class on campus? A friend of mine said most of the classes were off campus somewhere.

I was just wondering and any info would be helpful.
Thanks