University of Washington (Seattle) Residency Director Ranking

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know where UW ranks by residency directors? For example, I know that U Mich ranks 4th by residency directors. I can't find the same info on UW. Thanks.

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Maybe, haven't decided yet...

Mar 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
You should check out their match list posted somewhere in the allo forums. May answer all your questions.

There's also aProgDir who has his/her own forum.

Dec 26, 2009
Status
Medical Student
there is no real answer to that. Every PD will have a different opinion. But more often, their opinion is of the student, not the school.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
trust me, Udub ranks very highly by whatever scale you look at albeit (also i don't you can say that a school is ranked according to residency directors unless you're talking about specific specialty).... it may have a slightly lower oooh factor at some of your east coast ivory towers but you will not be closing any doors by any stretch for whatever residency you pursue by going to Udub.... if you have the opportunity to attend that school, then I would

randombetch

Removed
Sep 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
Someone posted this:

"Internal Medicine rankings would differ; Top 20 by groupings:

Hopkins
Harvard

UCSF
Duke
Penn

Wash U.
Michigan
Washington
UCLA
Baylor College

Yale
Stanford
UTSW
Columbia

Cornell Weil
Vanderbilt
Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Pitt
Emory"

psipsina

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2005
N'awlins
Status
Medical Student
Its not that simple. Its more about who you know than brand name. If you're LOR is from a physician that the program director for the residency knows and trusts thats way more important than brand name. I'm at an unranked (US news) medschool and know seniors who matched in extremely competitive spots based on LORs from big names with good connections in that program. None of this is unfortunately predictable as 1) you have no idea what you're going to want to match in 4 years, 2) faculty changes and the big name you're betting on may leave before your 4th year sub-I, 3) you have no idea who their friends are until you're sitting down with them chatting about matching and they say "hey I'm bff's with this guy at X program, let me call him for you". Just go to the school that feels right (location, curriculum, great hospitals) and it will all work out.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Someone posted this:

"Internal Medicine rankings would differ; Top 20 by groupings:

Hopkins
Harvard

UCSF
Duke
Penn

Wash U.
Michigan
Washington
UCLA
Baylor College

Yale
Stanford
UTSW
Columbia

Cornell Weil
Vanderbilt
Chicago Pritzker
Northwestern
Pitt
Emory"
Looks like the internal medicine tier rankings made it to the pre med threads.... but please disregard that list because there are some glaring inaccuracies with that list which I won't elaborate because you guys can go to the internal medicine forums for that

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So when U Mich says they are ranked 4th by residency directors what does that mean exactly?

bobsmith

10+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2008
Status
So when U Mich says they are ranked 4th by residency directors what does that mean exactly?
I think they're referring to a specific part of the USNews rankings. As part of their methodology, US News sends out surveys to residency directors and asks them to rank schools on a 5 point scale (you can read about their methodology here: http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/best-medical-schools/2009/04/22/medical-school-rankings-methodology.html).

There's a copy of the residency director rankings on SDN here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=6189643&postcount=7 . This is from two years ago, but I imagine things are mostly the same.

Anyway, part of the issue with this is that perceptions are highly specialty specific, so this one number doesn't tell the whole story (another issue is that only a select number of residency directors are surveyed, so it's hard to know how accurate this is).

Anyway, the take home point is that both Michigan and Washington are solid schools and I really doubt that you'll be losing any ground academically/reputation-wise by choosing one over the other.

obiwan

10+ Year Member
Mar 26, 2006
Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Unless you have the specific survey or ranking list, then I wouldn't put much stock into that.... of course though UMich is an amazing medical school and the students coming out of there have that brand name of going to Michigan

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student

DrSmooth

Secret Recipe Soda
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status
Medical Student
The rankings actually make a lot of sense. I've asked 4 or 5 different doctors what they thought about UW vs. U Mich. Every one has said something along the lines of, "they are both excellent schools, but Michigan has a slightly stronger reputation / more prestige." I thought that sounded strange, since UW is a bit higher ranked. But it is reflected in the residency director rankings.

mmmcdowe

Duke of minimal vowels
Staff member
Administrator
Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Residency director evaluation: 4.2 out of 5

Johns Hopkins 4.8
Harvard 4.7
Duke 4.6
WashU and Stanford 4.5
Columbia UCSF Penn and UMich 4.4
Yale and Cornell 4.3
That puts it 12th along side U Chicago. Peer evaluation puts its at 7th with a 4.3. Tied with Columbia, Yale, U Mich.