University of Washington Seattle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

BlackPuma

Why are pple applying to Washington

when it clearly states they don't accept non Washington residents? this is what is said on their website?

are pple aware of this? you have to be a resident of those states before you can apply? i heard somebody was doing an md/phd for washington? they dont accept pple out of their states, except those few specified states below? what is goiong thanks

10. RESIDENCE CERTIFICATION: Certification of declared legal residence is required of all Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, and Idaho applicants. It may be required of some Washington applicants as well. All Washington residents should be prepared to prove their residence status at any time. If you are uncertain of your Washington residence status, call the Residence Classification Office at (206) 543-5932 or send e-mail to [email protected]. Certifications from past applications are not valid for the current year. In addition to the above, applicants who apply with a permanent resident's visa must provide a photocopy of the visa.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought the U-dub took a couple out of staters every year. Chances are slim, I know but slim is better than none.

You can apply to their MD/PhD program though. I'm sure there are no geographical quotas for that.

that quote you put up from the website is just to verify your residency--it is most definitely a plus to be a resident from washington or those neighboring states, but they do take people that are not residents of those states. If you read more on their website they say they'll accept applicantions from people with very strong interests in primary care, regardless of residency, but they do emphasize that this has to be your priority. I don't think there are any residency requirements on MD/PhD applicants.

Members don't see this ad :)
UW is one of my reach schools. I was going to delete it from my list, but I received more financial aid than I thought, so I figured I could afford the extra cash to apply somewhere that I have little chance of geting accepted. It is one of my top choices (#2 actually, which obviously could change as I get to see different campuses) because of their primary care reputation and I love Washington. My wife grew up in Seattle, and I would love to end up there permanently.

Just a note to all fellow out of state MD/PhD applicants to UW.

DO NOT send them any secondaries or letters until they specifically request it.

Turns out that they screen all out of state applicants and they sent me the following email (after I had already sent them my primary AMCAS and secondary with other associated documents):

"Thank you once again for your interest in the University of Washington School of Medicine. As an out-of-region applicant,
your preliminary AMCAS file will be screened to determine whether or not you will be invited to complete a secondary application.
Because of the unusual nature of the application process this year and the excess of paper it has created, we would like to request that you do not send supplementary materials (this includes letters
of recommendation) unless you are requested to do so.

Sincerely,

Patricia Fero
Admissions Officer"

I directly violated these rules so I guess my chances are shot at UW now.

Oh well.

I got the same e-mail (regular applicant out-of-state)...I had mine ready to be mailed out today...I guess i'll hold onto it :cool:

U Dub is VERY picky about how you submit your application. There are LOTS & LOTS of forms and they want them arranged in a particular way, down to telling you to attach stuff with paper clips (guess they don't like staples) and with the FEE ON TOP! I would follow all of their instructions to the letter.

I am applying to UWash as an out of stater too and I have checked the website status check where it says,
"APPLICATION STATUS

Action was taken on your application 10/02/2001. You should receive a letter from our office by 10/12/2001"

Have you or anyone you know received anything from UWash and if so is this what the website status check said before you got any correspondence from UWash? Were they rejected?

Thank you in advance.

I'm kind of an in-state, out-of-stater applying to U Dub (Alaska). I didn't know there was a status check. I've received a couple e-mails from them. One very early on asking me to submit AMCAS, submit a paper copy of AMCAS, send my AMCAS scores in a letter, and submit the supplemental app. The next one dated 8/23 asked me to verify my Alaska residency. I just mailed off the AK residency verification forms and will submit the secondary soon. Good luck to all. I'm going to look at that status check right now.!