University of Washington SOD Class of 2012 (RIDE)!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MONKEYBOY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Very amped to be accepted at this excellent school. Anyone on this site accepted to the RIDE program (like me)? Going to be a good time!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey MONKEYBOY,

Congrats, I'll be attending UW this fall as well but have not been accepted to RIDE. When did you get notified of the RIDE acceptance?

did they notify you that you are accepted to RIDE program when you recieved your acceptance call from Kathy?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any future classmates on here?

Last edited:
So they told you were accepted to UW and RIDE when they called huh. I'm sure it's going to be an awesome experience.

I am surprised to hear you were accepted to RIDE, because according to my interview yesterday, they said they would not determine RIDE students until after they have filled the class. So what exactly are you talking about?

I am surprised to hear you were accepted to RIDE, because according to my interview yesterday, they said they would not determine RIDE students until after they have filled the class. So what exactly are you talking about?

Well I have an acceptance letter here for the RIDE program. Argue with that.

Admissions is a complex thing, and I am certainly not claiming to know anything special about their admissions practices. Good luck and I look forward to studying with you.

Do you know where to find a complete listing of the required and recommended texts we'll be using in the first year? Here is the best I could find:
[SIZE=-1]
Introduction to Operative Dentistry
(Syllabus), Powell, 2000[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

The Art and Science of Operative Dentistry
, Sturdevant, 1985 (2nd edition)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Applied Dental Materials
(Syllabus), Jack I. Nicholls and Glen H. Johnson Dental Materials Science (Syllabus), Glen H. Johnson and Jack I. Nicholls[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Fundamentals of Operative Dentistry
, second Edition, by Summit, Robbins, Schwartz

Fundamentals of Fixed Prosthodontics, 3rd Edition, by Shillingburg, Hobo, and Whitsett.[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Dental Materials Science
(Syllabus), Glen H. Johnson and Jack I. Nicholls[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Clinical PERIODONTOLOGY by Newman, Takei, Klokkevold, and Carranza, 10th ed. 2006[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Restorative Dental Materials
, 11th Edition, Robert G. Craig and John M. Powers (ed.)[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]

Applied Dental Materials
(Syllabus), Jack I. Nicholls and Glen H. Johnson Dental
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Basic Pathology, V. Kumar, R. Cotran, and S. C. Robbins, 1997 (6th edition; W.B. Saunders Company)

[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]A Guide to Physical Examination and History-Taking by Barbara Bates, 6th edition or later, JB Lippincott Company, 1995
[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
Oral Histology: Development, Structure, and Function
, A.R. Ten Cate, 1994 (4th ed.)

The Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology, K. L. Moore, 1993 (5th ed.)[/SIZE]

Hey there Monkeyboy,

I'm pretty surprised to see something on this website about the RIDE program. Yes, I will be one of the eight students starting this August in Spokane. Can't wait to get there. I must admit I am a little bit nervous. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dental school. I'm sure it will go really fast though. Hey were you at the tour of the school on May 8? Anyway, take it easy brother, and I'll see you there in a couple of months.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Hey there Monkeyboy,

I'm pretty surprised to see something on this website about the RIDE program. Yes, I will be one of the eight students starting this August in Spokane. Can't wait to get there. I must admit I am a little bit nervous. I've heard a lot of horror stories about dental school. I'm sure it will go really fast though. Hey were you at the tour of the school on May 8? Anyway, take it easy brother, and I'll see you there in a couple of months.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Out of curiousty Sideburns, where are you from? I live in Spokane, but was accepted too late to UW to make it in the RIDE program. I will be going to Seattle though. So I guess I will see you there in year 2!

I was curious so I read a page on the UW website about the RIDE program. I see that you do a lot off site but what are the real benefits of this program?

I was curious so I read a page on the UW website about the RIDE program. I see that you do a lot off site but what are the real benefits of this program?

The best option comes in the 4th year for these students. They come back to spokane after spending 2nd and 3rd year in Seattle. They will then do rotations in actual dental offices in the underserved communities around spokane. I think it is great!

Out of curiousty Sideburns, where are you from? I live in Spokane, but was accepted too late to UW to make it in the RIDE program. I will be going to Seattle though. So I guess I will see you there in year 2!

I'm from Walla Walla. I don't know when everyone else was accepted but I got my cal on January 11. I'll never forget that day. I didn't find out about going to Spokane until I think March. I'm excited to be a Husky!!!

congrats on acceptance, see you in the fall! and about the person who was questioning on books...don't buy them. talk to people in the class above you to find out what books to buy or not buy and also if they are selling their old books (for a lot cheaper than the bookstore).

The University is delivering more in its mission to serve Washington--getting dentists to go to eastern Washington.

So this is a big step in UW serving the people of Washington.

Last edited:
Someone posted this earlier and I don't know where it went, but wanted to respond:

"I've been asked be a fellow applicant, "what do we do if we do not want to go back to Spokompton in the 4th year?" Any way to weasel out of this 4th year in Spokanistan?"

The purpose of the RIDE program as was just said is to increase the dentists in Eastern Washington in Rural areas. Those admitted to the program should have priority interest in serving those communities in eastern washington. Returning your forth year is a great way to become acquainted with these areas and determine where you would like to set up practice. So really if this fellow applicant isn't interested in this option, he or she may want to rethink the RIDE program, because it isn't the best option for everyone.