University of Washington vs University of New Mexico

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dp2017cr

Reaction score
University of New Mexico
Pros
  • Affordable (Tuition ~$18,000 and cost of living is very low)
  • Close to family
  • Seems to have a supportive faculty, relatively low stress
  • Nice facilities, new building
  • Very diverse

Cons
  • Ranked less well, I do not know how much that really matters. I have heard conflicting things.
  • Not many research opportunities. I would like the option of doing research.
  • Foundations phase is ranked
  • Going through a lot of curriculum changes. I believe I would entering in a class with an entirely new curriculum. Have heard not great things about teaching style, but I think they are trying to improve.
  • Very focused on rural/primary care. I am open to exploring those possibilities in my career, but I do not want to feel forced into it/not have the option to explore academic medicine and specializing.

University of Washington
Pros
  • I got a really good feeling on interview day. Students seemed generally happy with the school, really liked my interviewers and the staff that I interacted with
  • I really enjoyed the lecture I sat in on. It was engaging.
  • WWAMI--I really like the fact that you get to rotate throughout the region
  • Ranked well
  • I like the way they have their curriculum in the foundations phase set up. It makes sense to me and I think that it would work well with my learning style.
  • Foundations phase is pass/fail unranked
  • A lot of research opportunities
  • Have heard from some going here will "open doors"

Cons
  • Very expensive. Even with in-state tuition I would be paying 35,000-45,000 a year and the cost of living is very, very high
  • Have heard from some that the student body can be overly competitive? I have no idea if this is actually true
  • Facilities are not very nice. This doesn't actually mater to me that much.

Summary: I guess it comes down to cost. They're both state schools, but one is so much more expensive than the other. Is it worth it?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That is a tough decision. You're looking at $150,000 difference between the schools. I always advocate going where you will be happiest, but that curriculum change and ranked grading is a ding against New Mexico, despite having friends and family close by.

Costs being equal or even within $20,000 I would choose Washington. See if you can negotiate with them?

Reactions: 2 users
I think you should really try to get Washington down. Washington is a top tier school and while I definitely don't think rank is everything - I do think Washington will have some better opportunities and you seem like you really liked it. I would try to see if you can get it down some. If you are trying to go into primary care or something and you cant get it down then I would go for New Mexico. You'll be near your family and you will be 150k less in debt.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for the the input! I honestly had no idea it was even possible to negotiate with medical schools. How would I go about doing that? I haven't actually gotten my official tuition statements yet, so I'm guessing that it would have to wait for that?

Thanks so much for the the input! I honestly had no idea it was even possible to negotiate with medical schools. How would I go about doing that? I haven't actually gotten my official tuition statements yet, so I'm guessing that it would have to wait for that?
Get all of your financial aid/merit scholarships together. Calculate the difference in the cost that it would be for you to attend UW. Call the UW financial aid office and tell them that you would really, really like to attend but that you have a scholarship elsewhere and would it be possible to re-look at your financial aid award to bring it a little closer so you can attend UW. Be nice and friendly so they want to help you. This is a normal thing that people do. Nothing to feel awkward about. I wouldn't wait too much. Better to talk to them before they have given out all of their money.

Washington. - even though it will be more money. Certainly call financial aid office, but a lot of schools can not do a whole lot in a situation like this.
Wash much higher ranked. would allow you to enter any specialty.
Better research opportunities.
Better places to rotate
Mentors at Wash will have strong, life-long contacts at residencies (and beyond) all over the US - not as true at University of New Mexico

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for everybody's responses.

I got a really late interview invite from Einstein and I am wondering if I should even go. Since getting into UW and UNM already with in state tuition, I think the chances we me going there even if I do get in are slim, but part of me thinks I should explore every possibility and opportunity offered to me. Any thoughts?

Would you go to Einstein over either of these options? If yes, then go. If not, then don't. I guess maybe ask yourself what Einstein can give you that these other two institutions can't. Also, do you get in-state tuition at UW? If so, then Einstein is going to likely be even more expensive than it unfortunately. I know declining an interview feels weird, but sometimes it's the best decision when you already have great options to choose from :)

Thanks so much for everybody's responses.

I got a really late interview invite from Einstein and I am wondering if I should even go. Since getting into UW and UNM already with in state tuition, I think the chances we me going there even if I do get in are slim, but part of me thinks I should explore every possibility and opportunity offered to me. Any thoughts?
Was Einstein a school you were interested in? If you can afford the flight then you could consider if you are curious, but it seems doubtful you would go there. I would probably not go but that's just me. I don't think Einstein is particularly giving with the financial aid (I am assuming you aren't super low SES considering UW didn't help you - or did you speak to them yet?)

Was Einstein a school you were interested in? If you can afford the flight then you could consider if you are curious, but it seems doubtful you would go there. I would probably not go but that's just me. I don't think Einstein is particularly giving with the financial aid (I am assuming you aren't super low SES considering UW didn't help you - or did you speak to them yet?)

UW might offer a little bit of help...I won't know for sure until April when they give out award letters, but they said it probably won't be much. Maybe in the area of 5,000 per year, or possibly nothing. I'm in a little bit of weird situation because even though I am in state, my parents don't live in Washington, so even if my parents were willing to help me pay tuition, the school wouldn't allow them to. I am going to call again once I get the information. The feeling I got when I called the first time was that they couldn't really help because I didn't even know the full situation yet.

Last edited:
UW might offer a little bit of help...I won't know for sure until April when they give out award letters, but they said it probably won't be much. Maybe in the area of 5,000 per year, or possibly nothing. I'm in a little bit of weird situation because even though I am in state, my parents don't live in Washington, so even if my parents were willing to help me pay tuition, the school wouldn't allow them to. I am going to call again once I get the information. The feeling I got when I called the first time was that they couldn't really help because I didn't even know the full situation yet.
They won't let your parents pay even if your parents want to? I don't think I quite understand this... I don't think they can decide whether your parents contribute money or not - a check is a check

They won't let your parents pay even if your parents want to? I don't think I quite understand this... I don't think they can decide whether your parents contribute money or not - a check is a check
Sorry, I wasn't clear. If my parents contributed, it would jeopardize my "in state status" because I would no longer be "financially independent." It is not going to happen because my parents aren't contributing anyway, but it just complicates the process since they take family income into account.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. If my parents contributed, it would jeopardize my "in state status" because I would no longer be "financially independent." It is not going to happen because my parents aren't contributing anyway, but it just complicates the process since they take family income into account.
Ohhhh gotcha. Well that's annoying of them. Hopefully when they give you the final numbers they are favorable