University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmer_tami

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking into applying to University of Washington, and one of its supplemental question is, "why do you want to attend here?". Does anyone have any feedback or go to the school? I like the school because Seattle seems like a great city to live in, but beyond that University of Washington has a great reputation in pharmacy.

Thanks!
Tami :)

Members don't see this ad.

pharmer_tami said:
Hey everyone,

I am looking into applying to University of Washington, and one of its supplemental question is, "why do you want to attend here?". Does anyone have any feedback or go to the school? I like the school because Seattle seems like a great city to live in, but beyond that University of Washington has a great reputation in pharmacy.

Thanks!
Tami :)
University of Washington is the best, a well known, one of the top rated university. I know freinds who graduate from UW works with full confidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
bananaface said:
I am a second year student at UW. If you have any questions, I would be glad to answer them.

Can you tell us more about UW? I'm considering sending in the app by January 1st as we speak. (BTW, UW has one of the most difficult apps out there, and they seem to be extremely strict about everything)

I've heard that UW is a really strict school, but that perhaps that it's really supportive for students.

You don't need biochem to get into UW. :) I think WSU's application is more rigorous, because you need biochem, statistics, a CPR card, a writing sample, and some other things that are not required by UW. Those things are in the UW curriculum, so they aren't required ahead of time.

There is a high entering GPA at UW. But, many students who are in my class are locals who got a 4.0 at local community colleges. I wouldn't let the high stats intimidate you. One of my classmates got in the 30s on the chemistry portion of her PCAT. They will look at your overall application. Also, you should be aware that a high GPA and PCAT score is not a guaranteed offer of admission. I had a 3.67 GPA, my bachelors degree, pharmacy experience, scored 99th percentile on the PCAT, and didn't get in until the second time I applied, because my interview wasn't good enough. They will ask you all kinds of questions that seem very different, but will all give them a chance to see what attitudes you hold. It sounds strange, but in retrospect I am actually glad that I didn't get in the first time, because my experience over the next year really made a big difference in my skill set and how I view the profession.

Although admission is definitely competitive, students are encouraged to let go of this. The faculty, staff, and students are a great support network. We have had no drop-outs. My class of 88 students is the tightest at our school. We are really like family. We share everything. People offer each other food all the time. Two weeks ago my stomach was growling and one of my classmates offered to share his lunch. If one person has study materials, they get passed on to everyone else. If you come to an exam and forget your scantron someone will give you one. Everyone knows each other and supports each other. I have an openly gay classmate who is completely accepted. We have alot of parties where everyone is invited. Anyone can organize an event, not just a select few.

One benefit of attending UW (or WSU) is that is that WA very progressive in terms of legislation and scope of practice. An intern here can legally do anything a pharmacist can, except supervise/be alone in the pharmacy. This state allows pharmacists to establish a protocol with a physician and dispense emergency contraception. Not all pharmacists int eh state choose to do it. But, most graduating students will leave school certified. We are also able to be certified and administer flu vaccine, if we choose. In Seattle, there is a clinical trial being performed evaluating the dispensing of prescription birth control methods on procol (the Direct Access Project). If that goes well, we may very well end up having birth control available via protocol in this state. The attitudes about evolution of the profession are very different here than in other places. To be honest, I think many of our students moving out of state may be in for some culture shock.

There are advantages and disadvantages to UW by way of being in Seattle. Internship opportunities are available widely to us during the school year, so we are able to go out and practice during class time, rather than being restricted to breaks. About 30% of my class had an internship after the first quarter of school. Now, about 70% are working during the school year. We get a ton of guest speakers, because so many graduates have stayed local and gone on to positions of influence. There is alot to do in Seattle, which can be either good or bad, depending on whether you want to have the opportunity to get away from your schoolwork. Housing costs are high, especially right in the U-district.

bananaface said:
...There is a high entering GPA at UW...

Yes that is true... but for those applying, please don't be discouraged. I applied last year and got in with a GPA of around a 3.3-3.4. So it's not impossible if your overall GPA is lower than the "entering GPA" posted on the school Web site.

Bananaface pretty much said everything there is about the school... she's a great source~ (as a matter of fact, she's my mentor at the school! :D )

Good luck, people!