University of Washington?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
bump. Keeping this alive.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree that UW immediately accepts applicants that they are very pleased with, however, for those who were interviewed before Dec 1st (thus could not be officially accepted), I believe are at a slight disadvantage. just a thought. if i had know this, i would have scheduled an interview post-Dec 1st.

either way, congrats to all who have been accepted!!!

i might be reading this wrong, but i was officially accepted...on Dec 1st. I'm not sure how many they actually accepted on Dec 1st, and I'm sure nobody does but the adcom, but we all know it was nowhere near the magical date that it was at all other schools. I do agree with you that the UW doesn't necessarily reward you for applying super early like other schools (mainly the private schools imo). I believe they like to have the opportunity to evaluate and assess the entire applicant pool before making too many decisions. So in short, the upside to UW is that late(r) acceptances are very common and almost normal in a way. Everyone keep their heads up and just hope that all the remaining apps aren't as qualified as you who have had the opportunity to interview:) I know people with great stats and apps who were accepted Dec 1st at multiple schools who haven't even interviewed with the UW and had their apps in early. Try and be positive.

Members don't see this ad :)
just wondering, I know UW interviews about 15% of the applicants, and since i've heard # around 1300-1700, that means around 200 gets to interview, and someones said here that about 120 were interviewed couple weeks ago, doesn't this mean there's only about a month left for the number to reach around 200? What happens then? I know you can get into one of thse three status: accepted, alternate status, and rejection, but when are you supposed to know? I mean esp for people who were interviewed pre dec1, and haven't heard back, i would think ultimately how you wrote the essays, your stats, and hopefully you've made enough iimpression for them to remember you, to decide your status. I think it's great that they interview everyone, but I just wish they'd have a way to remember everyone. :)

just wondering, I know UW interviews about 15% of the applicants, and since i've heard # around 1300-1700, that means around 200 gets to interview, and someones said here that about 120 were interviewed couple weeks ago, doesn't this mean there's only about a month left for the number to reach around 200? What happens then? I know you can get into one of thse three status: accepted, alternate status, and rejection, but when are you supposed to know? I mean esp for people who were interviewed pre dec1, and haven't heard back, i would think ultimately how you wrote the essays, your stats, and hopefully you've made enough iimpression for them to remember you, to decide your status. I think it's great that they interview everyone, but I just wish they'd have a way to remember everyone. :)

at the interview, they told me that they would make their decisions by the end of february/early march. but then you can still get accepted by being on the wait list. i also heard that they are waiting to offer acceptances because they have a lot of strong applicants towards the end of the cycle, so they are waiting till they interview as many people as possible before offerring too many places. good luck guys:luck:

so is it true that the ADCOM are meeting every week now?

every other week i believe. Also I think they only interview like 150 according to my sources

i'm pretty sure that for the remainder of the month they are meeting every thursday

i'm pretty sure that for the remainder of the month they are meeting every thursday

That would be nice. Now I can wait by the phone once a week instead of every other! BTW, last year I interviewed in October and got a rejection letter on March 13! How's that for waiting?! This year I interviewed on Jan 22 and am waiting like a lot of ya'll. I do feel better having interviewed later in the cycle- I had a buddy interview last year in Feb and he got a spot that week (similar story for some on here). Anyways, I'm expecting the first week of March will be the latest they make decisions.

for those of you who have had interviews, but not heard back yet, what does it say on your aadsas status page?

for those of you who have had interviews, but not heard back yet, what does it say on your aadsas status page?

"Invited for interview: Applicant has been reviewed, blah blah blah"

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine aadsas status is still blank

Sometimes AADSAS updates fast, sometimes it doesnt. When I got my interview, it was updated, but never before that... Anyways, Thursdays are the day to look forward to now.:D

I just interviewed at UW yesterday. They said that they will interview about 200 total applicants. There are still several interviews left throughout February (Mondays and Thursdays I believe). My interviewer also said that ADCOM is meeting every Thursday now. He said that when they meet they send out rejections to those at the very bottom of the list and acceptances to the very top % (4.0 GPA, 25 DAT, etc). He said that no news is good news because unless you're in the top % you'll only be receiving a rejection. He went onto say that there are still a lot of seats open. He didn't give an exact number, but he did say that there are more open than he's ever seen at this point in the app cycle. Finally he said that everyone should know where they're going by March 1. Just 3 weeks away!

I just interviewed at UW yesterday. They said that they will interview about 200 total applicants. There are still several interviews left throughout February (Mondays and Thursdays I believe). My interviewer also said that ADCOM is meeting every Thursday now. He said that when they meet they send out rejections to those at the very bottom of the list and acceptances to the very top % (4.0 GPA, 25 DAT, etc). He said that no news is good news because unless you're in the top % you'll only be receiving a rejection. He went onto say that there are still a lot of seats open. He didn't give an exact number, but he did say that there are more open than he's ever seen at this point in the app cycle. Finally he said that everyone should know where they're going by March 1. Just 3 weeks away!

when they say bottom of the list, you mean by scores only? It seems like you're implying that for the top%. Pretty depressing for people like me, who thought experience was much more important than grades.:( I still have faith that UW will be an EXCEPTION and look beyond the numbers, but it seems like some of the other schools do not.
I didn't realize waiting would be this hard, but then again, it's pretty humbling when someone tells me they haven't heard since october... :(
I guess what I hope is that everyone stay positive!

uck. my heart just dropped.

did he say that they have been sending out rejections or that they will now begin sending out rejections?

They did the same thing last year where they started handing out rejections throughout feb and into March. Like Jilicious I wasnt rejected until the bitter end. It makes you wonder how close you were.

UW is not a school that looks solely at the numbers. Check out their 2006 profile stats they give and you can see there are a wide range of people/scores that are admitted. I'm sure they have some sort of ranked list built up throughout the interviews that they begin to sort out starting now and I am sure that it is not solely based on scores. If it is, than we all know UW would be missing out on a lot of great applicants.

:luck: Best of luck to everyone.:luck:

They did the same thing last year where they started handing out rejections throughout feb and into March. Like Jilicious I wasnt rejected until the bitter end. It makes you wonder how close you were.

UW is not a school that looks solely at the numbers. Check out their 2006 profile stats they give and you can see there are a wide range of people/scores that are admitted. I'm sure they have some sort of ranked list built up throughout the interviews that they begin to sort out starting now and I am sure that it is not solely based on scores. If it is, than we all know UW would be missing out on a lot of great applicants.

:luck: Best of luck to everyone.:luck:

I agree wtih jorUW...i don't think the UW looks solely at numbers, but imo they do value high marks in both gpa and DAT as is evident by their average scores and gpa for past entering classes, this just can't be ignored. They are in the top 5 in both GPA and DAT consistently, and the people who I am aware of getting in so far have very good "numbers". (although like jorUW said there is a wide range for last years entering class, like 17-25 for the DAT and 50% of the class had a gpa below 3.6)... numbers aren't everything, as they shouldn't be, but the UW does like intelligent, well rounded people...numbers and all. I believe they are looking for very unique individuals given the low number of seats. It is definitely a difficult school to get into given this and the fact that there are only 55 spots. you are all very qualified and both you and the adcoms know this, or they would have already sent you a rejection and/or not even interviewed you. Keep your heads up and know that you are all very competitive and that our state school whether we like it or not is tough to get into. Like I've said before, there are many good applicants who don't even receive an interview from the UW...
Good luck everyone, it is apparent you would be great classmates given the opportunity

I agree wtih jorUW...i don't think the UW looks solely at numbers, but imo they do value high marks in both gpa and DAT as is evident by their average scores and gpa for past entering classes, this just can't be ignored. They are in the top 5 in both GPA and DAT consistently, and the people who I am aware of getting in so far have very good "numbers". (although like jorUW said there is a wide range for last years entering class, like 17-25 for the DAT and 50% of the class had a gpa below 3.6)... numbers aren't everything, as they shouldn't be, but the UW does like intelligent, well rounded people...numbers and all. I believe they are looking for very unique individuals given the low number of seats. It is definitely a difficult school to get into given this and the fact that there are only 55 spots. you are all very qualified and both you and the adcoms know this, or they would have already sent you a rejection and/or not even interviewed you. Keep your heads up and know that you are all very competitive and that our state school whether we like it or not is tough to get into. Like I've said before, there are many good applicants who don't even receive an interview from the UW...
Good luck everyone, it is apparent you would be great classmates given the opportunity
Well said, I was in the prosess of saying something along these lines, but you beat me to it.
(See you in Aug!)

At my interview it sounded like they send rejections and acceptances every week. Waiting really stinks! The only good thing is that the end is now in sight... either way we all should know in the next month. Best of luck!

so what is the method of notification. Is it always a phone call? No phone call then a letter? AADSAS?

Tell us how you heard back.

I got a letter instead of a phone call. I think it varies from person to person. But, I wasn't supposed to hear back about my status until the end of Feb, at least that's what the interviewer told me. I was really suprised when I got the letter a week after my interview :) . So, I guess if it's the time when you supposed to hear back, then they'll call. If they accept you right away, you'll receive a letter. Good luck HR.

i THINK that they call people who live in the seattle area and send out acceptance letters to those who live outside seattle or out of state.

btw, i'm only basing this on what i have observed off of sdn and friends. correct me if i'm wrong.

I got a letter instead of a phone call. I think it varies from person to person. But, I wasn't supposed to hear back about my status until the end of Feb, at least that's what the interviewer told me. I was really suprised when I got the letter a week after my interview :) . So, I guess if it's the time when you supposed to hear back, then they'll call. If they accept you right away, you'll receive a letter. Good luck HR.

Thanks Rennoz. Ever since the interview, I have been pretty obsessive about SDN and AADSAS.... But you know it's because I really want this. Hopefully the outcome is good :)

Well another Thursday has passed and no word... I hope we all get word next week. I can't take this much longer because this would be my longshot dream come true. Good luck all, thanks for sharing my pain.

P.S. Sumluck, if I get in I'll call you bro.

Out of curiosity, how many people are holding a seat somewhere else while waiting for UW?

Well another Thursday has passed and no word... I hope we all get word next week. I can't take this much longer because this would be my longshot dream come true. Good luck all, thanks for sharing my pain.

P.S. Sumluck, if I get in I'll call you bro.

I'm pulling for you man...

and I got a phone call, followed by a letter...and I am not in the Seattle area, but fairly close

Good luck Hotrod and everyone else...especially me I'll need it to get in!:thumbup:

I forgot to ask...does anyone know of any applicants being rejected yet? It just seems like a whole lot of people are waiting and no one has been rejected.

I saw that Tannlege on Predents.com was accepted today. Anyone else get any news from UW?

Congrats everyone who got accepted today!!:D
Now I really can't wait for my call/ AADSAS update/ acceptance letter in mail.:laugh:

Congrats everyone who got accepted today!!:D
Now I really can't wait for my call/ AADSAS update/ acceptance letter in mail.:laugh:

oh man. i really want an UW acceptance.
i'm still unsure where i will end up next year. i'm thinking of reapplying even.

fingers crossed even though i'm losing major hope. the class is filling up quickly now.

Well for those of you waiting, perhaps this can give you some peace of mind. I was told over the phone that they still have a little ways to go before the class is filled. I don't know specific numbers though.

i'm still unsure where i will end up next year. i'm thinking of reapplying even.

fingers crossed even though i'm losing major hope. the class is filling up quickly now.

Didn't you get into Columbia? Why would you want to reapply next year? Columbia is an excellent school...

sorry for the three consecutive posts...I couldn't figure out how to put quotes from multiple posts in into one.

Didn't you get into Columbia? Why would you want to reapply next year? Columbia is an excellent school...

yea, i got into columbia and usc. but my fiance will be moving to washington for his job in april so i decided on usc so we can be closer. i loved columbia (and columbia is WAY better than usc) but nyc is just too darn far!

i hope i hear from UW...it seems that there have been a couple of recent out-staters that just got accepted...i hope i'm next. i think it would be worth reapplying so that my fiance and i could be together (we're getting married in june).

i hope i hear from UW...it seems that there have been a couple of recent out-staters that just got accepted...i hope i'm next. i think it would be worth reapplying so that my fiance and i could be together (we're getting married in june).[/quote]

from what i hear it is extremely hard to get in out of state, so unless you're getting residency in WA next year it may not help much to be waiting another year, but hey some stellar out-of-staters do get in.

yea, i got into columbia and usc. but my fiance will be moving to washington for his job in april so i decided on usc so we can be closer. i loved columbia (and columbia is WAY better than usc) but nyc is just too darn far!

i hope i hear from UW...it seems that there have been a couple of recent out-staters that just got accepted...i hope i'm next. i think it would be worth reapplying so that my fiance and i could be together (we're getting married in june).

If you are seriously considering waiting another year and applying, I would strongly recommend trying and becoming a WA resident for the next application cycle...that would GREATLY improve your chances at admissions. On the other hand, since you are already admitted to a dental school it is a tough decision to make, because you are already in. From the schools you have been accepted to and interviewed at, you are obviously a good applicant. That is quite the sacrifice to go to USC over Columbia (hopefully your fiance knows this;) ). Congrats on your upcoming marriage btw:) and good luck in your decisions.

I thought you decided on Harvard? If not, good choice on UW...see you in august

I decided to go to UW.. It comes down to the curriculum and price.. I love the program at UW and everybody seems to have a good time down there.. See you all in the fall!:D