University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oh2051

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking prereqs at the University of Washington through non-degree enrollment? If so, how easy has it been to get into the classes you need?

Members don't see this ad.

I did my postbac at UW starting nonmatric, then admitted. There's no way I'd do it again. UW is HUGE, crowded, isolating, impersonal, soul-crushing, and you'll kill yourself to stay over a 3.5. Very difficult to get LORs from professors. There's no benefit to a UW postbac when you try to get into UWSOM. If I could do it again, I would have done a structured postbac like Bennington or Mills.

I applied for postbac admitted status after summer '05 as a nonmatric, and got in for winter. At the time, it seemed like everybody I knew who tried this got in. But given the current admissions environment, it's got to be tougher now.

For a nonmatric, genchem and non-calc physics are no problem. You'll probably have to take night labs. For ochem you'll need to take it off-cycle, and you'll probably have to take lectures at night.

Your only chance at bio is during summer, which means 3 summers. No way you're getting in during the school year. There are always at least a dozen regular students trying to get in ahead of you. And if you try, that means you're investing 2 weeks before you find out if you have a seat - 20% of the quarter, gone.

You have no chance at genetics or neurobio. The lower-level biochem is no problem, and upper-level is possible. Any of the biomed major classes require you to wait for all majors to register first.

I suggest that you go to Portland for PSU's program, or maybe do UPS in Tacoma. I don't recommend Seattle U or SPU, but either is better than UW. Or, you can take prereqs at a CC here, and then take a year's worth of upper div science at UW.

Best of luck to you. PM me if you need more info.

I did my postbac at UW starting nonmatric, then admitted. There's no way I'd do it again. UW is HUGE, crowded, isolating, impersonal, soul-crushing, and you'll kill yourself to stay over a 3.5. Very difficult to get LORs from professors. There's no benefit to a UW postbac when you try to get into UWSOM. If I could do it again, I would have done a structured postbac like Bennington or Mills.

I applied for postbac admitted status after summer '05 as a nonmatric, and got in for winter. At the time, it seemed like everybody I knew who tried this got in. But given the current admissions environment, it's got to be tougher now.

For a nonmatric, genchem and non-calc physics are no problem. You'll probably have to take night labs. For ochem you'll need to take it off-cycle, and you'll probably have to take lectures at night.

Your only chance at bio is during summer, which means 3 summers. No way you're getting in during the school year. There are always at least a dozen regular students trying to get in ahead of you. And if you try, that means you're investing 2 weeks before you find out if you have a seat - 20% of the quarter, gone.

You have no chance at genetics or neurobio. The lower-level biochem is no problem, and upper-level is possible. Any of the biomed major classes require you to wait for all majors to register first.

I suggest that you go to Portland for PSU's program, or maybe do UPS in Tacoma. I don't recommend Seattle U or SPU, but either is better than UW. Or, you can take prereqs at a CC here, and then take a year's worth of upper div science at UW.

Best of luck to you. PM me if you need more info.
I am trying to do post bacc at UW as well. I'm taking Org I in the summer and trying to get post bacc status for the winter and just hoping to get into biochem as non matric for fall. Fortunately I don't have that much left to take except OrgI, II, and III but I do want to take some upper level stuff if possible. I did get admitted as post bacc at Seattle U but as you all probably know, it is super expen$ive!! It is probably easier to get classes and easier to get to know the profs however. We'll see how UW pans out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone taking prereqs at the University of Washington through non-degree enrollment? If so, how easy has it been to get into the classes you need?
Do you have to take all of the pre reqs or have you already done some? From what i'm told, it's pretty difficult to get admitted as a post bacc and it is also very difficult to get lots of classes as a non matric. At any rate, good luck, maybe i'll see ya there.

Thanks, DrMidlife and beephlatPT. That's what I was afraid. Oh well.