University of Washington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rx2017

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone planning to head out west!? I'm applying to this school, just waiting for PharmCAS to mail out my application now! The waiting game begins

Members don't see this ad.

I was going to send out an application to UW, but I am a little confused about their prereqs if anyone wants to clear the air for me...

I'm about to get a BS this December. I took stats in high school, which is a class my major requires, and my school (which is a public state university) gave me a stats credit since I passed my AP test in stats.

Does this really mean UW won't grant my stats credit? Are there any exceptions to the rule, or do I have to retake it?

I was going to send out an application to UW, but I am a little confused about their prereqs if anyone wants to clear the air for me...

I'm about to get a BS this December. I took stats in high school, which is a class my major requires, and my school (which is a public state university) gave me a stats credit since I passed my AP test in stats.

Does this really mean UW won't grant my stats credit? Are there any exceptions to the rule, or do I have to retake it?

The best thing to do would be to call UW and ask, I was a bit confused about their requirements for BioChem and I had to call and make sure with them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished my supplemental at the beginning of October and they sent me an email last week they were reviewing my application. But they said 3-4 weeks and they usually don't start interviews until January at the earliest. They are picky about their requirements so you have to call and make sure you took the class they wanted.

After some more research, I think UW is right at the top with UC Denver for me. I'll be working on my supplemental application for the next week or two. Too bad we have to wait until next year for possible interviews :/

I sent my supplemental out about 2 weeks ago, I'm just waiting for PharmCAS to send my application now.

UW is my #1!!! Already sent them my PharmCAS back in July, I will be sending my supplemental soon. I think they do interviews after their deadline which is in January...looking forward to that!

I received an email that they are starting to look at applications.

Am I the only one who thinks the supplemental essay question is frustrating? Its such a loaded question, i dont know how to approach it and word a response

same here.. I'm not sure how to even put them all into one smooth essay without breaking them into a paragraph for each characteristic..

Am I the only one who thinks the supplemental essay question is frustrating? Its such a loaded question, i dont know how to approach it and word a response

I have already forgotten. What do they ask?

Members don't see this ad :)
Essay 1: (REQUIRED ESSAY) To establish and foster successful patient relationships, a pharmacist must not only exercise sound professional judgment but also demonstrate personal attributes such as integrity, responsibility, initiative, leadership, and respect and compassion for others. Compose a 1 to 2 page essay, single or double spaced, 10-12 point font, in which you describe yourself with regard to these traits. Please provide examples from your personal, academic, vol-unteer or work experiences. You may use the next page if needed.

I am just about finished writing the supplemental essay after mulling over it for the past month or so. Their supplemental app. is definitely more substantial than the other schools I applied to but that might play into the fact that they are a top 10 school.

Essay 1: (REQUIRED ESSAY) To establish and foster successful patient relationships, a pharmacist must not only exercise sound professional judgment but also demonstrate personal attributes such as integrity, responsibility, initiative, leadership, and respect and compassion for others. Compose a 1 to 2 page essay, single or double spaced, 10-12 point font, in which you describe yourself with regard to these traits. Please provide examples from your personal, academic, vol-unteer or work experiences. You may use the next page if needed.

I am just about finished writing the supplemental essay after mulling over it for the past month or so. Their supplemental app. is definitely more substantial than the other schools I applied to but that might play into the fact that they are a top 10 school.

Be prepared to talk about your answer as well. I was asked how I demonstrate those qualities and provide examples during an interview at another school

I finished my supplemental at the beginning of October and they sent me an email last week they were reviewing my application. But they said 3-4 weeks and they usually don't start interviews until January at the earliest. They are picky about their requirements so you have to call and make sure you took the class they wanted.

Is that the first email you received from school?
I sent out my application about 1.5 weeks ago.. I am pretty sure it arrived to school (I'm in Seattle area) but haven't gotten any email about whether they received it or not... I sent an email few days ago but I guess they are busy at the office because still no reply :(

I have a question for you and anybody else who finished their supplemental, what approach did you take to writing the essay? Did you try to talk about all the attributes or did you just focus on the ones that are the most important to you?

Hi GrimeWiz,

I addressed each trait that they listed and used examples from my experiences to validate that I have these traits. I talked about all of them as they are all pertinent to being a successful pharmacist.

Hi GrimeWiz,

I addressed each trait that they listed and used examples from my experiences to validate that I have these traits. I talked about all of them as they are all pertinent to being a successful pharmacist.

I did the exact same thing.

I just mailed off my supplemental application and was wondering if anyone has received an interview date?

I just mailed off my supplemental application and was wondering if anyone has received an interview date?

Not I. They do interviews much later than some of the other schools I believe.

Does anyone know whether UW review all PCAT scores or just the most recent one?

Hey guys I am a p1 student at uw. Feel free to ask any questions. I'll check once in a while to answer them as much as I can. Also interviews don't go out until January and it doesn't really matter when you sent your application in. I sent mine the day it was due and got interviewed during like the 2nd day.

Currently studying at UW-Madison; getting B.S. in genetics in spring

GPA: 3.72
PCAT: composite: 89

3 years research exp in genetics lab
3.5 years ESL tutoring
2nd year as RA in residence hall
1 year volunteering in UW Hospital Pharmacy

I emailed the admissions office, because I don't think/don't know if they will take the econ class I listed on my supplemental, and I am taking a specific microecon in spring, but I can't update Pharmcas until Dec 28 at the earliest... I haven't heard back about that specific email, but I got the general "we have your materials" emails

Just wondering if I should call regarding that specifically? or Letter of interest necessary?
and wondering if you have any perception as to whether or not I will be offered an interview?

I applied to UW, UW-Madison, USC, U of I at Chicago, and Concordia Univ. in WI;
I already have interviews at UW-Madison and Concordia.

Any tips or feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks everyone

finally got an interview invite! anyone else going on Thursday the 31st?

I just received an invitation (via email) to interview on either the 29th or 31st. Hopefully i get the 29th.

To the P1 student, is it fairly easy to get involved in research?

I don't know anyone in our class right now who is participating in research. We're quite busy with just school work. Majority of people are doing internships or holding office for a pharmacy club.

Sorry, can't answer your question much. You should def ask. Also, since UW is such a known school for their research, I'm sure there will be many opportunities later on.

Congrats! I am still waiting for my invite. How are you preparing for the interview?

Thanks Go4RX,

The way I am preparing is by reviewing my application and looking over the common interview questions posted for UW on this site. When did you submit your application?

I sent my application in on the 2nd and I'm waiting to hear for an interview. I got into CU but I think UW is my top pick!

Submitted application (supplemental) 12/19/12, pharmCAS 11/11/12

Interview: 1/29/13

Stats:
92 Comp PCATs
Science (UW undergrad): 3.87
Nonscience (UW undergrad): 3.84
Bachelors in Chemistry and Biochemistry
2 years Orgo-chem lab experience, still on-going
Job shadowed a pharmacist, youth tutor, etc. etc. clubs, activities, etc.
Graduating Spring 2013

Hope that helps! Luck to everyone for the interview.

I need some advice. My PharmCAS just sent my app to UW last week (I had some trouble getting a transcript from a college in the high school thing - so I submitted late Dec.). So, I'm not really expecting an interview invite anytime soon. However, I am feeling fairly confident that I will get an invite (good GPA, very good PCAT, pharm experience).

Here's my debacle. I work for the Red Cross and they asked if I wanted to go to New Jersey to help out with people that are still displaced from their homes from Superstorm Sandy. I really want to go, but I would leave at some point next week, and would not return until Feb. 10. If I left early, I would have to pay for my own flight back, which I DO NOT have the money to do. I'm currently live in Seattle, so I haven't really been planning on flying to UW to interview haha.

Is it too presumptuous of me to email admissions and ask them not to interview me until after Feb. 10 when I haven't even received an interview invite yet? Even though I don't think it will happen, I'm a little worried I'll get an interview date before then. Does anybody know if UW is fairly lenient about rescheduling interviews? Or should I just go?

THANKS!

Last edited:
I need some advice. My PharmCAS just sent my app to UW last week (I had some trouble getting a transcript from a college in the high school thing - so I submitted late Dec.). So, I'm not really expecting an interview invite anytime soon. However, I am feeling fairly confident that I will get an invite (good GPA, very good PCAT, pharm experience).

Here's my debacle. I work for the Red Cross and they asked if I wanted to go to New Jersey to help out with people that are still displaced from their homes from Superstorm Sandy. I really want to go, but I would leave at some point next week, and would not return until Feb. 10. If I left early, I would have to pay for my own flight back, which I DO NOT have the money to do. I'm currently live in Seattle, so I haven't really been planning on flying to UW to interview haha.

Is it too presumptuous of me to email admissions and ask them not to interview me until after Feb. 10 when I haven't even received an interview invite yet? Even though I don't think it will happen, I'm a little worried I'll get an interview date before then. Does anybody know if UW is fairly lenient about rescheduling interviews? Or should I just go?

THANKS!
Email the UW about your situation, but be careful about how you word it. Dont say something like, "dont interview me until I come back", say something like, "I will be unavailable until Feb. 10th because I am with the Red Cross in New Jersey, if I am given the opportunity to interview could you please schedule it after Feb 12?" Or something like that. But the UW wont start reviewing your application until the end of this month. I called them today asking about when my application would be reviewed, my PharmCAS and supplemental got to the UW mid December, and they told me they're still matching PharmCAS applications with supplemental and they wont start reviewing until all thats done. So you probably wont get an interview before Feb. 10th anyways, but email them and let them know about your situation.

Last edited:
Email the UW about your situation, but be careful about how you word it. Dont say something like, "dont interview me until I come back", say something like, "I will be unavailable until Feb. 10th because I am with the Red Cross in New Jersey, if I am given the opportunity to interview could you please schedule it after Feb 12?" Or something like that. But the UW wont start reviewing your application until the end of this month. I called them today asking about when my application would be reviewed, my PharmCAS and supplemental got to the UW mid December, and they told me they're still matching PharmCAS applications with supplemental and they wont start reviewing until all thats done. So you probably wont get an interview before Feb. 10th anyways, but email them and let them know about your situation.
Thanks for the advice! I just emailed them. I figured the chances of an interview before then are pretty slim - it's just so easy to worry about the little things! Although it's probably frustrating to everyone else to have to wait, I'm somewhat relieved they are still matching up applications!

Thanks for the advice! I just emailed them. I figured the chances of an interview before then are pretty slim - it's just so easy to worry about the little things! Although it's probably frustrating to everyone else to have to wait, I'm somewhat relieved they are still matching up applications!
I think you will be fine. I sent my PharmCAS in July and they received my supplemental on 1/4/13. I got an interview invite a few days ago and the only available dates were 1/31 and 2/4. So you should be fine if you want anything after 2/12.

Turns out I'll be coming back from helping out the Red Cross in New Jersey on the 8th, which is perfect because I just got an invite and I was able to schedule an interview for Feb. 11th! They also offered me Jan. 31 and Feb. 4th.

Turns out I'll be coming back from helping out the Red Cross in New Jersey on the 8th, which is perfect because I just got an invite and I was able to schedule an interview for Feb. 11th! They also offered me Jan. 31 and Feb. 4th.
Awesome! Glad it worked out well for ya!

Hey guys, if any of you are interviewing on 2/4 in the morning, please let me know. I will be there and I'm staying at City Hostel, so I'd love to arrange transportation with my fellow interviewees from the hostel to UW on 2/4. Please PM me! :)

Me too! :) Feb. 11th! The other dates didn't work for me as well. But I'm super excited for UW, its definitely my top picks! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon??

If anyone is interviewing at UW on the 31st, I will be the P1 student giving a tour for the afternoon interviews. Say hi!

-Jen

Me too! :) Feb. 11th! The other dates didn't work for me as well. But I'm super excited for UW, its definitely my top picks! Are you interviewing in the morning or afternoon??
I'm in the morning session. I didn't want to wait until the afternoon haha. UW is definitely my top choice!

Hi to those who went to interview at WU,
I just got an invitation for the interview at WU. Can any one who has been through the process share their experience and the nature of the interview? Does it include the writing portion in addition to the oral interview? How should I prepare for it?
I would really appreciate if someone can give me some insight about it.
Thanks,
Ayae

UW is so beautiful! Loved Seattle and the school as well! Can't wait to hear back from them :) The interview is very conversational; there is no writing portion. Check out the interview feedback questions for UW and that is enough to get you ready for the interview. Make sure you know your essays that you submitted bc they definitely take great care in reviewing those.

UW is so beautiful! Loved Seattle and the school as well! Can't wait to hear back from them :) The interview is very conversational; there is no writing portion. Check out the interview feedback questions for UW and that is enough to get you ready for the interview. Make sure you know your essays that you submitted bc they definitely take great care in reviewing those.
I just received word that UWSoP is reviewing my application. I have been reviewing my application but I am having trouble locating the interview feedback questions that you speak of. Could you help me find them? Thanks!

I just received word that UWSoP is reviewing my application. I have been reviewing my application but I am having trouble locating the interview feedback questions that you speak of. Could you help me find them? Thanks!

Here is the link to the interview feedback section. Towards the bottom of the page you'll see a drop down labeled questions where you can click and see the questions that people were asked. Hope this helps.

http://studentdoctor.net/schools/school/uw-pharm/survey/26