University of Waterloo c/o 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My status says, "application" and when I click on it says, "We have received your application, but no decision has been made yet"

I got an email of denial but my status is still "application"

Members don't see this ad.

what about other than pharmacy experience, like extra curriculars during university?

I got an interview but had absolutely no pharmacy experience, though I did have a reference letter from a pharmacist I know personally. I had a lot of extracurriculars during university, as I am a varsity athlete and have been involved in a lot of volunteer initiatives as well. My average is low 80s including all required courses. I just wanted to post so you guys know that pharmacy experience is likely very helpful but not absolutely necessary for an interview slot.

Members don't see this ad :)
Got an interview! May 2nd - anyone else interviewing on that day?? :)
Unexpected since I got rejected last year..... GPA close to 3.3. and overall average around 76%.... and missing just one course from prerequisites.....but i have more than a year of volunteer experience at two different pharmacies and currently working at a pharmacy from last 6 months.... may be that helped......

Do you think they'd be able to give me a reason as to why I did not receive an invitation this year, when I did last year? I had pharmacy experience, I was part of many school clubs.. idk

I think your reference plays a big role in the application process. Perhaps you chose a different person to write your reference letter?

To be honest my avg is the bare min of 75%... even my pre-req avg was around 73ish % so I wasn't expecting an interview. BUT I did volunteer at a retail pharmacy (my LOF) and the pharmacy department in a hospital and worked for Health Canada for HR last summer. That and I had a whole bunch of EC :)

I think your reference plays a big role in the application process. Perhaps you chose a different person to write your reference letter?

I actually had the same person write my reference letter- community pharmacist. I had also volunteered at a pharmacy in my local hospital. I'm just confused..

im thinking of writing an email kind of asking to what i can approve on for next year? but who should i email?

I actually had the same person write my reference letter- community pharmacist. I had also volunteered at a pharmacy in my local hospital. I'm just confused..

Did your average drop from last year? I don't see why you wouldn't get an interview if everything was virtually identical to last year's application. Unless this year's applicant pool is much more competitive than last years, but I doubt it...

I got denied, with an 86% average and 4 months of pharmacy experience with a LOR from the pharmacist, what I did not have was much extra curriculars during university

Did your average drop from last year? I don't see why you wouldn't get an interview if everything was virtually identical to last year's application. Unless this year's applicant pool is much more competitive than last years, but I doubt it...

lol, my average actually slightly increased as well.. perhaps the applicant pool is much more competitive..

Does anyone know how many applicants are invited to the interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got denied, with an 86% average and 4 months of pharmacy experience with a LOR from the pharmacist, what I did not have was much extra curriculars during university

Hey, what does your status on Quest say? Is it still Application, or Deny?

Okay that's odd, I would try to inquire about it and see what happened...

what's funny is I did try to inquire about it right now, and I got what it seems like, a very standardized response that's being sent to every student inquiring about the same thing.. UGH

what's funny is I did try to inquire about it right now, and I got what it seems like, a very standardized response that's being sent to every student inquiring about the same thing.. UGH
king james who did u send it to? i just sent an email asking how i can improve my self. but lets see if they give a standard response. maybe try calling?

What did the standardized response say?

king james who did u send it to? i just sent an email asking how i can improve my self. but lets see if they give a standard response. maybe try calling?

I had sent it to the email that sent out the invitations.

Last edited:
I wouldn't quote me on this... but from what I know about the reapplication process for UW pharmacy... if you've applied once and don't get in... your next year application has to be exponentially different. You can't apply with the same experiences as the first time around, if you get what I mean.

This is my first time around applying and all my guns were laid out on the table..

Hope this helps a little for next year.. did you try for UofT?

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't quote me on this... but from what I know about the reapplication process for UW pharmacy... if you've applied once and don't get in... your next year application has to be exponentially different. You can't apply with the same experiences as the first time around, if you get what I mean.

This is my first time around applying and all my guns were laid out on the table..

Hope this helps a little for next year.. did you try for UofT?

Hey, the thing is, i DID actually receive an invitation for an interview last year. Yes I did apply for UofT though, hopefully that went well

From what I know about UW pharmacy and the students they accept, the people must be "well rounded" individuals. So even with a high exceptionally average, if you're lacking volunteer experience or extracurriculars it works against you quite a bit.

My average is about 82-83% and I have 4 months of pharmacy experience and my LOR is from a physician I worked with during co-op. I have quite a bit of extracurriculars on top of that, but it's nothing I would consider as top tier exceptional.

Next year if you choose to apply again, focus on volunteering and extracurriculars and you'll surely get a shot at an interview! Just my two cents. =]

Hey, the thing is, i DID actually receive an invitation for an interview last year. Yes I did apply for UofT though, hopefully that went well

Right! So you did receive an invitation last year, but didn't get accepted. So I guess what I'm saying is that if your application is virtually identical from your last app, they would frown upon that. Even though you're competing for a spot with other people, during your second time around, you're also competing with your past self. They are looking for different experiences and improvements. They will look at your differently than the first time applicant.

UofT is less likely to do that though. I hope you did well on your interview at UofT. Mine is coming up in May. So nervous for that.

Right! So you did receive an invitation last year, but didn't get accepted. So I guess what I'm saying is that if your application is virtually identical from your last app, they would frown upon that. Even though you're competing for a spot with other people, during your second time around, you're also competing with your past self. They are looking for different experiences and improvements. They will look at your differently than the first time applicant.

UofT is less likely to do that though. I hope you did well on your interview at UofT. Mine is coming up in May. So nervous for that.

Thanks, I hope my UofT interview went well as well. Goodluck on yours!

I was wondering if anyone knew anything about schedules. More specifically, if there are any breaks/vacations between academic semesters and/or co-op semesters. Or is it just 4 years straight of studying/working? If anyone has any info please share, thanks!

does anybody know, how many seats, waterloo save for students who apply in sept 2014 for jan 2015?

anyone else worried about the 5-10min presentation part of our interview? i'm having a hard time thinking of what to talk about that will take over 5 mins OTL

anyone else worried about the 5-10min presentation part of our interview? i'm having a hard time thinking of what to talk about that will take over 5 mins OTL

I definitely am. I'm kind of confused too actually, like we have to talk about ourselves for 5-10 minutes and then we'll be asked further interview questions? And how are you guys preparing for the FSA?

I'm probably gonna be reading scientific articles to prepare for the FSA. The math section is new this year! :S
and I believe you can do your 5-10min presentation however you want. You can make it formal or have it interactive. Then you'll be asked questions afterwards

I'm probably gonna be reading scientific articles to prepare for the FSA. The math section is new this year! :S
and I believe you can do your 5-10min presentation however you want. You can make it formal or have it interactive. Then you'll be asked questions afterwards

Have you interviewed with waterloo last year? Yeah I guess you just need basic math skills. Not sure what else we could be asked

Nope. I'm currently in my second year :) But I did have a CAP interview before (thought it's much less work to prepare for haha). I asked the Tatham centre advisors about the interview process.

Nope. I'm currently in my second year :) But I did have a CAP interview before (thought it's much less work to prepare for haha). I asked the Tatham centre advisors about the interview process.

Oh okay! So how did they say to prepare for the FSA? Just read scientific journals?

they didn't necessarily give me direct advise. but they told me what kind of questions the FSA had.
there was a scientific article you had to analyze. Most important aspect she emphasized was time management. the articles usually aren't difficult, but you're under a lot of time pressure to complete it. another section tested your writing ability by giving you a few topics to choose from and write about. then there's the math section :)

Oh okay! Awesome, thanks for your help :) when's your interview?

May 2! :D yours? I'm so nervous just thinking about it! Can't focus on studying haha OTL

Last edited:
May 2! :D yours? I'm so nervous just thinking about it! Can't focus on studying haha OTL

I know that feel...I still have two more exams and I have to prepare for the U of T interview too...:/

Pretty much the most stressful month of my life, lol.

Hey guys, where did you get information about the FSA? Were we supposed to get other emails aside from the original email inviting us for the interview?
Thanks!

if you browse the old UW pharmacy threads, you'll find a lot of useful info :) I don't believe they sent a second email after the invitation email

if you browse the old UW pharmacy threads, you'll find a lot of useful info :) I don't believe they sent a second email after the invitation email
I received a second email today confirming my interview. It does not have a lot of extra info but they do confirm they received our confirmation of attendance.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it's a blind interview. So the examiners don't have your information when interviewing?

Hi everyone. Does anyone know if it's a blind interview. So the examiners don't have your information when interviewing?
Yes, its a blind/blank slate interview. They have no background information on you when you come in for the interview :)

they didn't necessarily give me direct advise. but they told me what kind of questions the FSA had.
there was a scientific article you had to analyze. Most important aspect she emphasized was time management. the articles usually aren't difficult, but you're under a lot of time pressure to complete it. another section tested your writing ability by giving you a few topics to choose from and write about. then there's the math section :)

Thanks for sharing :)!!