University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
well i just realized, that my cumulative average at the end of this year will be about 75% at the highest, however, my cGPA will be higher than 3.0. My cumulative average is dropping because of my first where i did terrible, however my cGPA is much higher because this year im doing much better in my courses and im taking 1.0 credit with a really good mark in it. im wondering if anybody knows if the average is going to affect me ? also i took orgo in the summer, does anybody know if they are taken into my gpa/average ?
Hi,
They do take into account every course taken at University level to calculate your cumulative GPA, including summer courses. The minimum cumulative GPA to apply is 75% so if you do have it, go ahead and apply! You have a good chance to get an offer of admission if your application as a whole (AIF, interview, admission exam) is strong. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else excited or nervous about the interview offers? It's almost April. If anyone has any tips or advice for the interview, I would appreciate it! I don't see myself doing anything else other than pharmacy.

hey, long time lurker here!
noticed this thread was quite inactive compared to precious years so I decided to make an account. I'm getting nervous about the interview offers being sent out soon too! If anyone has any tips from previous years it'd be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey, long time lurker here!
noticed this thread was quite inactive compared to precious years so I decided to make an account. I'm getting nervous about the interview offers being sent out soon too! If anyone has any tips from previous years it'd be greatly appreciated.

let's hope that the inactivity means that not a lot of people applied this year :p

let's hope that the inactivity means that not a lot of people applied this year :p

They said over 600 people applied this year :( As all of you guys, I am very nervous since all other plans depend on this

They said over 600 people applied this year :( As all of you guys, I am very nervous since all other plans depend on this
WOW! that's way more than what I anticipated. It's become more competitive since a lot of pre-med school folks are considering pharmacy as back-up. But I sincerely hope that the deserving people get the spots.

yeah i was looking at their website and it said they usually get around 600 applicants so i hope its just average this year. 240 get and interview for 120 spots so i think our chances will be a lot better once we find out on April 9!

yeah i was looking at their website and it said they usually get around 600 applicants so i hope its just average this year. 240 get and interview for 120 spots so i think our chances will be a lot better once we find out on April 9!
don't forget about the 20 spots that the CAP students already have...

Oh yeah, I forgot about them! it's okay though around a 1/6 chance of getting admitted isn't too bad! we just have to stay positive.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhhh 2 weeks until we find out.... So nervous!

Members don't see this ad :)
haha yeah, it's all i've been thinking about lately. I have an exam on April 9th too :(
do you guys have any idea around what time they E-mail out the decisions?

haha yeah, it's all i've been thinking about lately. I have an exam on April 9th too :(
do you guys have any idea around what time they E-mail out the decisions?
Last year I received the email with the interview invitation at 2 PM :) Good luck everyone!

Hey guys!
Sorry I'm a little late to join in, but I'm a current Rx2018 student at UW! I also applied to UofT and got in as well so if any of you guys have any questions at all about either school, feel free to message me :)

One more week!! I'm so nervous I can't even focus on studying for my midterms

Hey guys!
Sorry I'm a little late to join in, but I'm a current Rx2018 student at UW! I also applied to UofT and got in as well so if any of you guys have any questions at all about either school, feel free to message me :)

Hi @Grey Arrow
What were your stats for waterloo?
I have 74 average and plenty of extra circulars and 2 years of pharmacy experience....
Thank you

Last edited:
@feraligator - I got in and I am starting next January. In my experience, the entreview pannel was very "cold". They interrupted me once for a clarification and did not talk to me afterwards except to ask me the interview questions. I think they are trying to be the least bias as possible. For my part, my presentation was more about things I did and got involved in. I didn't do anything interactive or exceptionnal and it seems it worked out just fine. My advise would be to practice your speach a couple of times before you get there and it should be just fine. :)

@feraligator May I ask what your stats were?

Hi @Grey Arrow
What were your stats for waterloo?
I have 74 average and plenty of extra circulars and 2 years of pharmacy experience....
Thank you

My average was ~75% and I had volunteered for 4 months at a community pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. I also had many EC including a few major leadership roles and also work experience, along with a pharmacist reference.

Unfortunately for Waterloo you MUST have at least 75% to be considered for an interview, no matter what else you have. So if that is your current average you likely will not receive an interview this year, but work hard to bring it up for next year and you'd have a good shot!

My average was ~75% and I had volunteered for 4 months at a community pharmacy and a hospital pharmacy. I also had many EC including a few major leadership roles and also work experience, along with a pharmacist reference.

Unfortunately for Waterloo you MUST have at least 75% to be considered for an interview, no matter what else you have. So if that is your current average you likely will not receive an interview this year, but work hard to bring it up for next year and you'd have a good shot!

do you know if they round up to a 75? if you had say a 74.5 + ?

do you know if they round up to a 75? if you had say a 74.5 + ?

from my understanding, they won't. Remember you are one of many applicants. If you don't have the min they'll just choose someone else. I know Waterloo also does applications again later on if they don't fill the spots.

@Grey Arrow Did you use the OMSAS GPA scale to convert your gpa? at my school we use letter grades and I'm a little bit confused about finding my exact gpa

@Grey Arrow Did you use the OMSAS GPA scale to convert your gpa? at my school we use letter grades and I'm a little bit confused about finding my exact gpa

My school gave out our marks in percentages, so I'm not sure how the conversion of letter grades would work. I would contact UW and ask them.

Another question for you grey arrow. On the website it says interview dates for selected candidates are May 1-3rd. Do you know if we would get an option of the date or is that just assigned? UBC interviews are May 2 and 3 so I am hoping to get my Waterloo one on the 1st (if I get contacted, that is).

@Grey Arrow Thank you! Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that sometimes if the average is a bit lower than 75 but the rest of the application makes you look well rounded, there is a chance of getting an interview. Is that correct?

Hey, my school uses a 12 point scale (they are #7 on the OMSAS conversion) so I E-mailed waterloo and asked them how they would convert my average to a percent scale. They told me that an A+ = a 95%, A = 89%, A- = 83%, B+= 78%, B=75%, B-=72%, C+=68% etc... So you can just compute your average from this scale if your school uses scale #7 on the OMSAS conversion.

Last year I received the email with the interview invitation at 2 PM :) Good luck everyone!

I received mine around 11 a.m... I guess they send them in batch.
So you can receive yours any time!

Hey, my school uses a 12 point scale (they are #7 on the OMSAS conversion) so I E-mailed waterloo and asked them how they would convert my average to a percent scale. They told me that an A+ = a 95%, A = 89%, A- = 83%, B+= 78%, B=75%, B-=72%, C+=68% etc... So you can just compute your average from this scale if your school uses scale #7 on the OMSAS conversion.

ohh awesome, thank you!!

Hey guys!

Do you by any chance know how they look at not a full course load? All the components of my application seem competitive, but i dropped courses in 2 semesters out 6 semesters, so those have 4 courses per semester in those not 5, but the rest of the semesters are full and I had good grades there. I am worried this will disqualify me... :/

Another question for you grey arrow. On the website it says interview dates for selected candidates are May 1-3rd. Do you know if we would get an option of the date or is that just assigned? UBC interviews are May 2 and 3 so I am hoping to get my Waterloo one on the 1st (if I get contacted, that is).
I think I remember UofT letting you have a preference but I don't remember UW letting you choose. I believe they just assign it to you. However if you have conflicting schedules with UBC, I believe you can contact them and they'll accommodate you somehow.

@Grey Arrow Thank you! Correct me if I am wrong, but I was told that sometimes if the average is a bit lower than 75 but the rest of the application makes you look well rounded, there is a chance of getting an interview. Is that correct?

I don't think that is correct. I believe it was regarding those who had low averages with a min of 75 since that is what I was told... If you want to confirm it'd be best to contact the school.

Do you by any chance know how they look at not a full course load? All the components of my application seem competitive, but i dropped courses in 2 semesters out 6 semesters, so those have 4 courses per semester in those not 5, but the rest of the semesters are full and I had good grades there. I am worried this will disqualify me... :/

I think you should be fine, as long as you had one year with a full course load. Again, I would send an e-mail and ask them about it because I had a full course load throughout school so I can't be entirely sure.

While we are all waiting, can I ask you guys how do you plan to pay for your studies (if accepted) ?

While we are all waiting, can I ask you guys how do you plan to pay for your studies (if accepted) ?

OSAP and try to work and save up until january.... and hopefully the COOP will help to pay it off. The tuition is ridiculously expensive in professional schools.

If we don't end up getting an interview would they let us know by email? Or would we know by the lack of an interview invitation?

I might have to borrow from a bank. OSAP might not be enough to cover the 20k/yr tuition!!!

When you get here Scotiabank will do a presentation about an offer they have for loans for pharmacy students. I'm not on it yet but mostly everyone I know is using it.

When you get here Scotiabank will do a presentation about an offer they have for loans for pharmacy students. I'm not on it yet but mostly everyone I know is using it.
I guess it's just like other bank credit line for students. With interest accumulated during our study and pay everything when we are done, right?

I guess it's just like other bank credit line for students. With interest accumulated during our study and pay everything when we are done, right?

Yeah, but you can get up to $120k with some other things. Not 100% sure of the specific details.

Interview decision was sent to me! Everyone go check :)

Yayy !! Got a interview as well !!! I am just wondering how is everyone preparing for this interview, I have exams the week of the interview which sucks . Also, the panel that interviews us, did they look at our AIF or application or they have no background knowledge?