University of Waterloo c/o 2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
do you have a plan B as well? :)
Well I have many little things that I would like to do but not as my main job. For example, I would like to teach but not full time or through all my career; just for a little period of time and part time (like a side job). As a "main job", pharmacy is what fits the best to my personality ... So I don't really have a plan B.... I guess I have to find one if it doesn't work out for me ....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
is there a reason you guys only applied to Uoft last year? since UofT requires the PCAT so i would've thought you'd apply to UW too since they don't need it and it's like a, why not kinda thing :p
Uoft doesn't require a reference like UW does. That's all.

is there a reason you guys only applied to Uoft last year? since UofT requires the PCAT so i would've thought you'd apply to UW too since they don't need it and it's like a, why not kinda thing :p

Well for me, coming right out of undergrad I had all the requirements for UofT finished, I just had to write the PCAT. But for Waterloo, I was missing a university level English, and I had absolutely no possible prospects to get the reference letter from. So I figured it would just be easier to apply to UofT first since the requirements were more obtainable for me at that time.

But once I didn`t get into UofT last year, I decided to wait another year and re apply to both schools. So during this past year, I took an English course and started working at a pharmacy as an assistant to get the experience, and was able to apply to Waterloo.

Members don't see this ad :)
in first year, I was confident that I will get into UW pharmacy after second year, so I spent the summer volunteering to get a reference, and did not write pcat, in second year when I did not get an interview at UW I decided to also apply to uoft, but needed thermodynamics, which I took 3rd year, and now end of 3rd year I got interview from Waterloo, so if I don't get in, I will actually write pcat, the pcat does not really seem a big deal to me, I have Dr.Collins study kit, and everything in it I have done in school in MUCH more detail so it is all basic review.

I only applied to UofT this year but I've been stalking this thread since it's also in Ontario and I definitely think the references in Waterloo are much harder to come by than the PCAT. The PCAT is a standardized test that will stress you out yes but as long as you have a solid foundation in the material your learned during undergrad getting 90th percentile or above comp will definitely be doable.

References on the other hand require you to be hard working and determined enough to snatch a job/volunteer position at a pharmacy and then work well enough to impress your supervisor to write you a good reference letter over a period of time.

im pretty much in the same spot as UWPH2015! but i got an interview after applying second year and got declined so this time i applied to UW as well as UofT and alberta and dalhousie! If i get rejected again then i think i'll look into US schools like new york bc its still close to the GTA

I'm same as you guys. Only applied to waterloo this year and it's my first attempt. Might or might not write the PCAT this year. Quite discouraging and sad to hear so many people got rejected after an interview at Waterloo in the previous years.

I'm same as you guys. Only applied to waterloo this year and it's my first attempt. Might or might not write the PCAT this year. Quite discouraging and sad to hear so many people got rejected after an interview at Waterloo in the previous years.
Don't feel discouraged! My case was similar to yours. I only applied to UW last year and it was my first time applying to Pharmacy school. I honestly believe UW takes into account every aspect of an applicant's profile when selecting their students! When I was waiting to hear back from UW after my interview, I was really worried because one of my chemistry grades was not the best, and I thought that would be a problem, but I guess the exam and other components of my application were really good. I also felt my interview went really well. In the end, everything worked out for me. Every case is different! :) Best of luck!

5 more days! Hoping and praying for a good news. I've gone through so much last year and an admission to either school will make me extremely happy.

Those of you that have written the PCAT, how long did you spend studying for it?

Members don't see this ad :)
More stressful than waiting for the interview! ahhh that's all I can think of recently

Just keep yourselves busy - work and play dragon age 3. Next thing you know, it's Wednesday already.

Ahhhh almost here!!! Hoping everyone in this thread gets good news on Wednesday! Should we post our stats if we get accepted to help out those thinking of applying in future years? I know this helps put things into perspective for some people!

^ I agree, however I don't think we are allowed/should post info about the FSA and interview, as that would be unfair advantage. Also around 48hours to go!!

^ I agree, however I don't think we are allowed/should post info about the FSA and interview, as that would be unfair advantage. Also around 48hours to go!!
Of course! Just share cGPA and experience.

Of course! Just share cGPA and experience.
As far as I know, the AIF, LOR and grades all are used to decide wether or not student receives an interview, after that the FSA and Interview determines admission.

As far as I know, the AIF, LOR and grades all are used to decide wether or not student receives an interview, after that the FSA and Interview determines admission.
So it would probably be very useful and encouraging for those who are applying to know what types of applicants the school invites for an interview. That way students who don't have 3.9 GPA's but have passions for the pharmacy profession will apply without hesitation or fear of rejection. I think CGPA and experience would be helpful to paint that picture! I'll post mine if I get accepted. :)

"Admission is granted based on a number of factors including your GPA, Admission Information Form, Letter of Reference, Interview and Reading comprehension/Writing test." I'm so thankful they consider everything.

I am saying that because I had a mock interview at waterloo, and she told me that the admissions officer, said how they have their own guidelines that they look for with AIF, LOR and grades, using those they send out interviews, she also told me that in 2014 (the year I did not get any interview) there were a couple less than 240 interview invitations sent. It is the first step to go from around 600 applicants to around 240 interviews.

Yes I called into the office bc I wasnt doing too well in one of my courses after the invitation to the interview. I spoke to Katya and she said at that point everything only depends on the FSA and interview. The AIF, gpa reference etc were only used in the first stage.

it is going to be a long day/night #sonervous
gonna be a sleepless night tonight, probably longest night ever! hopefully everyone here gets admission! As it seems like people here are all serious about pharmacy, theres a lot of people just applying but are not that serious.

less than a day!!!! good luck everyone. I hope i meet you all next winter

Reactions: 1 users
Do you know when they will send the e-mail?

The guy at the interview said last year they received them around 2 pm, but again every year is different. Best of luck everyone! Sleepless night here we come!

I think it differs since I checked last year's thread and someone said that one of their friends got the email around 11 am.

well less than 12 hrs ago, started off as 39 days!!!!

Will be on refresh mode starting at 9. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone.... my QUEST account has been updated status says admitted. Hoping to see you all January 2016!!! CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!! Just have to wait for the email to make sure I'm not dreaming!

Last edited:
CONGRATUATIONS BONGER + NISHETA! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR :D:D:D:D !!!!!! i currently attend UW so if anyone has any questions with living and what not then feel free to ask me :)

I got in!!! Didn't receive the email but I checked Quest!!! So excited!!!

has anyone's Quest account not updated yet?? I am freaking out :(

Conditional acceptance on Quest! I'm assuming it was because my transcript is just getting there. Very excited, relieved, exhausted!!

CONGRATUATIONS BONGER + NISHETA! SEE YOU NEXT YEAR :D:D:D:D !!!!!! i currently attend UW so if anyone has any questions with living and what not then feel free to ask me :)
congrats to you too!!! :D

Definitely going to take you up on that offer once I can focus again haha. I'm from Ottawa so I don't know the area that well!