University of Wisconsin 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats Ashanti!!

When did they tell you about a second look weekend? I wasn't aware that UW had a formal second look weekend setup. I just went down there this past weekend to check things out again and to get to know the campus. After seeing it again, I can hardly wait to get started!

Members don't see this ad.

pike1 said:
Congrats Ashanti!!

When did they tell you about a second look weekend? I wasn't aware that UW had a formal second look weekend setup. I just went down there this past weekend to check things out again and to get to know the campus. After seeing it again, I can hardly wait to get started!

Thanks Pike!

I was talking to a friend of mine who goes to school there and he told me about it, however, I don't have any details or anything yet, I'll kepp yall posted!

I can't tell you how nice it feels to *not* be the newest kid on the block anymore ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone completed their FAFSA and UW student tax form yet? How are we supposed to do the student tax form when it asks for a UW student ID number? The financial aid office told me that I should have received this with my acceptance letter.

Anyone have this ID number on their acceptance letter?

Congrats Ashanti!!

And, pike, I don't have an ID number on my acceptance letter. Hmmm, I wonder if I can use my undergrad ID?? (Not that this solution would help anyone who isn't already a student here.)

That's very confusing!

TheDarkSide said:
Congrats Ashanti!!

And, pike, I don't have an ID number on my acceptance letter. Hmmm, I wonder if I can use my undergrad ID?? (Not that this solution would help anyone who isn't already a student here.)

That's very confusing!

Thanks Darkside! Hmmm, I'll have to check my letter again for this id#.

TheDarkSide said:
Congrats Ashanti!!

That's very confusing!
I was able to call financial aid back today and get my UW ID#. They used my social security number to look it up in their system. So if your paranoid like me and want to send everything in right away, just give the financial aid office a call to get your ID #.

What has everyone been doing while waiting to start med school?

Here is what I've been up to:

1. graduated from college in December (feels good to be done!)

2. Working 3rd shift at a cheese factory to save up some money before I move down to Madison (this experience has made me want to start med school ASAP!)

Come on and post your experiences, we should try to keep this thread alive. Plus, it would be cool to get to know future classmates (even if this is an anonymous internet forum :) )

Hey pike1.

I graduated May '05. Since then I have been working. It's weird to know that I'm accepted. I try not to 'wait', since I don't want to waste what precious life I have left as someone outside of medicine. Some days I doubt my decision. Other days I'm sure of it.

So yeah, Nothing too exciting. Now that I'm working I miss school, and I know that when I'm in school I'll miss working. (Especially the 'not poor' aspect. Can't wait for 4 more years of poverty.) :)

pike1 said:
What has everyone been doing while waiting to start med school?

Here is what I've been up to:

1. graduated from college in December (feels good to be done!)

2. Working 3rd shift at a cheese factory to save up some money before I move down to Madison (this experience has made me want to start med school ASAP!)

Come on and post your experiences, we should try to keep this thread alive. Plus, it would be cool to get to know future classmates (even if this is an anonymous internet forum :) )

PH7.4 said:
Hey pike1.

I graduated May '05. Since then I have been working. It's weird to know that I'm accepted. I try not to 'wait', since I don't want to waste what precious life I have left as someone outside of medicine. Some days I doubt my decision. Other days I'm sure of it.

So yeah, Nothing too exciting. Now that I'm working I miss school, and I know that when I'm in school I'll miss working. (Especially the 'not poor' aspect. Can't wait for 4 more years of poverty.) :)

Hey PH7.4-

It's nice to hear from you! What kind of work are you doing down there in Madison? Yeah, 4 more years of poverty is sort of a depressing thought, but I just think about how lucky I am to have the opportunity to pursue a medical education. The thing that I worry about most regarding my decision to go to med school is if I will be able to hack it or not. I keep having this thought in the back of my mind that makes me think that I must have somehow slipped through the cracks of the admissions committee. However, I'm sure that every soon to be med student probably has this fear. They wouldn't of let me in if they didn't think I could do it.

Also, since your down in Madison I am sure that you must know more future members of the class of 2010 then I do (I don't know of any up here in Wausau) If you do know some more future students, tell them to post on here!

Hey liverotcod-

I was wondering if you would be able to tell us when we will start receiving more info from the UW? (regarding starting med school, summer anatomy option, vaccine paperwork, etc..)

Also, how is the second half of first year going?

Thanks,

pike1

When is the revisit weekend?

pike1 said:
Hey liverotcod-

I was wondering if you would be able to tell us when we will start receiving more info from the UW? (regarding starting med school, summer anatomy option, vaccine paperwork, etc..)
I remember it was pretty late. Like starting in May or so. And then a couple of mailings throughout the summer. It was a little frustrating, to say the least. You get so excited, and then wait, wait, wait. But it all works out OK. My class is working with the administration to improve the whole orientation experience, which may include earlier/more informative info packets. But I'm not personally involved in that effort, so I'm not sure.
Also, how is the second half of first year going?
January was actually quite easy, with just one physiology exam. We've been waiting for the other shoe to drop, and of course it has. We just had a neuro exam (96% for an A, ouch!) and have another physio on Monday. Etc. Etc. I'm having the time of my life, though, really :)
Thanks,

pike1
Hey, no problem at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
izibo said:
When is the revisit weekend?

Hi izibo-

I was never told that the UW was having a revisit weekend. Although, I believe it was ashanti rocks who said that her friend (who is a med student at madison) claimed that the uw did have a revisit weekend. I would be interested in going to this as well so that I could begin to meet some future classmates in person. Perhaps liverotcod knows something about a possible revisit weekend? If you are a Wisconsin resident just go down there on a Saturday and check it out again. The HSLC should be open and I believe their is free parking in one of the lots right near the school (I can't remeber the lot #, someone else on here probably knows it). In any event I hope that you will decide to join us at the UW :)

Hey liverotcod-

So they won't even send us info on summer anatomy until May? Do you think that I could perhaps call to get some more information about this a little earlier?

I also wanted to ask you about the grading system. Tell me if my interpretation is correct: the professors essentially pre-set the score cutoffs for each grade. So they might say that an 87 is a B, this would mean that anyone who can achieve at least this score would get a B? So their is not really a curve, correct?

A 96% for an A!! Where I come from a 93-92% will ussually get the A. They sure do "pre-set" the bar high don't they :laugh: What kind of score would get you an AB? Sorry about all of these questions.

Thanks

-pike1

pike1 said:
Hey liverotcod-

So they won't even send us info on summer anatomy until May? Do you think that I could perhaps call to get some more information about this a little earlier?
Yeah, I would go ahead and call. I'm sure they can help. I think summer anatomy is a great idea, by the way. The people that took it had both an academic break first semester as well as a head start on their social structure, and I envied them. But maybe that's because I was just working, not doing anything fun, last summer.
I also wanted to ask you about the grading system. Tell me if my interpretation is correct: the professors essentially pre-set the score cutoffs for each grade. So they might say that an 87 is a B, this would mean that anyone who can achieve at least this score would get a B? So their is not really a curve, correct?
Yes, the maximum cutoffs are preset. Most courses seem to be 92-3% for an A, 88-90 for an AB. The only curve would be a downward curve if everyone struggles with a particular exam or something. The actual cutoffs do vary by class, and neuro's is high, perhaps because it's so well taught that most folks score pretty high.

Hey, thanks for the help with my questions liverotcod! I would like to wish you good luck as you progress to the end of your M1 year (I am sure your doing an awesome job down there in madison :) )

I think that I will go ahead and call them to see if they would be able to give me any info pertaining to summer anatomy

Hi Everyone,
I just found out i have been accepted to UW.
Great news, loved the school and the people!
Is anyone else from California, and in particular the Bay Area? I know in Madison the leases are signed pretty early so its time to start looking for a place. I am not sure yet how to go about that since i am in San Francisco. Is anyone looking for roommates?

Hey everybody! Haven't been to this thread in a while!

I'm still not 100% sure that I'll be here this fall, but it continues to look likely.

Regardless of whether or not I will be, I just wanted to reiterate that if anybody is coming to visit Madison for a second look, apartment hunting, or whatever and doesn't want to spring for a hotel, you're welcome to crash at my pad. I'd love to meet up with fellow SDNers!

Makaka said:
Hi Everyone,
I just found out i have been accepted to UW.
Great news, loved the school and the people!
Is anyone else from California, and in particular the Bay Area? I know in Madison the leases are signed pretty early so its time to start looking for a place. I am not sure yet how to go about that since i am in San Francisco. Is anyone looking for roommates?

Hi Makaka-

Congrats and welcome to the UW class of 2010! Right now I am still looking for a place in Madison, but I will be moving there in May in order to start summer anatomy. Will you start in May or will you wait until August?

pike1 said:
Hi Makaka-

Congrats and welcome to the UW class of 2010! Right now I am still looking for a place in Madison, but I will be moving there in May in order to start summer anatomy. Will you start in May or will you wait until August?

Thanks Pike1,

Congratulations to you as well! I am not sure if May or August is better! I have been debating the idea since finding out about the acceptance. It seems like a good idea to get started early and have a pretty chill first semester, but I don’t know if I want to part with my family and friends any sooner than I have to.
Honestly, while I cannot wait to start this incredible journey, I am scared out of my wits to be on my own for the first time and 2100 miles away from home. I pray that I will find a strong support system when I get there. This is one of the reasons that I hope to move in with other first years. Do you, or anyone else reading this, feel the same anxiety?

As for apartment hunting, do you think the closer to the med school the better, or to give yourself a bit of distance is ok?
And do you think one should have a car in Madison?

Makaka said:
Thanks Pike1,

Congratulations to you as well! I am not sure if May or August is better! I have been debating the idea since finding out about the acceptance. It seems like a good idea to get started early and have a pretty chill first semester, but I don’t know if I want to part with my family and friends any sooner than I have to.
Honestly, while I cannot wait to start this incredible journey, I am scared out of my wits to be on my own for the first time and 2100 miles away from home. I pray that I will find a strong support system when I get there. This is one of the reasons that I hope to move in with other first years. Do you, or anyone else reading this, feel the same anxiety?

As for apartment hunting, do you think the closer to the med school the better, or to give yourself a bit of distance is ok?

Hi Makaka-

I think that you will find the people in Wisconsin to be a pretty friendly bunch. When I visited UW their were a few out of state people giving us our tours/student interviews. The out of state people seemed really happy despite being far away from family. The only thing that they seemed to complain about was the winters. However, the winters here for the last several years have been very mild. There can be cold snowy days, but it's not like living in Siberia or something like that. Who knows, you may even discover that you like the winter weather.

The distance to live from the school is up to you. Some folks may prefer to live a little bit further away because it's closer to the undergrad scene. I want to live as close to the school as possible because I am sick of having a longer drive to get to school (For undergrad, I drove 40 mins one way everyday Yuck!) I just found out yesterday that I got my apartment at the UW owned Eagle Heights apts (these are really close to the med school). Also, check out the med student website on the UW med school homepage. Other med students are begining to advertise so that they can find roommates for the upcomming year. The number of folks searching for roommates will probably increase as we approach summer.

Parking in Madison sucks! I plan to leave my car parked at my apt for the majority of the time and either walk, bike, or use the shuttle system to get around. For the first two years of med school you would probably not have any problems if you did not have a car. The bus system and bike trails can take you nearly anywhere that you would need to go. However, when clinicals start you may need a car to get to the off campus sites. I believe that we are required to do at least several weeks of away rotations at other sites throughout Wisconsin. They may make exceptions to this and let you do all rotations at UW if you have some extenuating circumstances. If you don't bring a car and find that you need to use one I'll let you try your hand at driving my 96' Ford Tarus (Yeah I know, it's a pretty sweet ride :laugh: ) I think you are going to have a great time going to school here (except for maybe the huge amounts of studying that we'll have do to :) ) I think that everyone is little anxious about this whole med school deal. I am sure that you will make some great life long friends by the time med school is over. Let me know if you have any other questions, feel free to PM me as well.

Makaka said:
Thanks Pike1,

You'll be OK first semester without taking summer anatomy. The primary advantage, I think, is getting a head start on your social life. A majority (or nearly) of students here went to UW Madison undergrad and already know each other, which puts the rest at a slight disadvantage.
Honestly, while I cannot wait to start this incredible journey, I am scared out of my wits to be on my own for the first time and 2100 miles away from home. I pray that I will find a strong support system when I get there. This is one of the reasons that I hope to move in with other first years.
Good idea, but also consider upperclassmen, who can help you both with classes and with acclimatization.
Do you, or anyone else reading this, feel the same anxiety?
I feel quite certain that *everyone* does. Don't worry, by September you'll be fully in the swing of things.
You will need a car third year for your non-Madison rotations. Living close by seems pretty convenient for most people. I live in Middleton, five or so miles from school, and take the bus when it's cold, bike when it's warm. I preferred the Middleton schools for my 5 year old, and kinda like being able to get away.

CONGRATULATIONS to all of you, i wish you all the best of luck...

can any of you tell us prospective students, who WISH to be in your shoes next year, what your mcat and gpa's were when you applied???

thanks,
schooler.

Yah, 2.95 and 39. I think the mean for my class was something like 3.8 and 33, a little higher than previous years.

schooler said:

can any of you tell us prospective students, who WISH to be in your shoes next year, what your mcat and gpa's were when you applied???

thanks,
schooler.

schooler said:

thanks,
schooler.

schooler-

check out my MD applicants profile, it's #04700

Hey Makaka! I am a fellow Californian who has been admitted and is seriously considering U of W. I loved the school, but I too am nervous about being away from my famiily and friends. Are you going to the second look weekend? I think I am. Email me if you have any questions.

Hey guys I have a couple of questions.

1) To any current students, do you know anything about scholarships the med school offers, how many they offer, when you find out?

2) Did anyone thats been accepted get a letter from the dean talking about how your outstanding qualifications would make you an excellent fit for the school and that he urged you to attend madison? I know a couple of people that have and am wondering if this may mean scholarship $$$??

Congrats to everyone in so far, I love madison and the new med school is awesome. Hope to see everyone next year!

owenmichael said:
Hey guys I have a couple of questions.

1) To any current students, do you know anything about scholarships the med school offers, how many they offer, when you find out?
Last year, a letter concerning merit scholarships was distributed April 13. Your mileage may vary.
As for needs-based, that was considerably later, after financial aid was squared away.

rcmustang65 said:
Hey Makaka! I am a fellow Californian who has been admitted and is seriously considering U of W. I loved the school, but I too am nervous about being away from my famiily and friends. Are you going to the second look weekend? I think I am. Email me if you have any questions.

Hey RCMUSTANG,
I am so glad to hear that you might be there next year! Where did you go for undergrad? When did you interview?
I have not heard anything about second look weekend. Actually, i have not heard anything from UW since the acceptance letter, and the initial email to accepted applicants. When is second look weekend?
I hope you choose UW! Its absolutely amazing.

Also, do any of yall residing in Madison know about University Heights Apartments? If so, what do you think?

Hi all,

Just officially introducing myself as a UW-Mad 2010 class member. Actually, I'm having some last minute difficulties deciding between MCW (milwaukee) and Madison. Any advice out there? How many of the rotations are you outside of Madison, esp. if you aren't married/no kids/etc? Do you think a school like MCW might make you a bit more disadvantaged when it comes to residencies, compared to Madison? Comments would be much appreciated...

Anyways, good chance I'll be staying at UW. Any tennis players out there? There are tons of good indoor courts at Nielson (cheap too!).

-joe zechlinski
UW-Madison, Biomedical Engineering

Makaka said:
Hey RCMUSTANG,
I am so glad to hear that you might be there next year! Where did you go for undergrad? When did you interview?
I have not heard anything about second look weekend. Actually, i have not heard anything from UW since the acceptance letter, and the initial email to accepted applicants. When is second look weekend?
I hope you choose UW! Its absolutely amazing.

Also, do any of yall residing in Madison know about University Heights Apartments? If so, what do you think?

Hey Makaka-

The UW owns two apartment complexes: Harvey street apartments and Eagle Heights apartments. I will be moving into my 1 bdrm Eagle Heights apt in May so that I will be ready to start summer anatomy. Below is some info about each one:

Harvey street apts: Mostly 1bdrm fully furnished apts located on Harvey street (duh :) ) Harvey street is just on the other side of University ave. close to the med school. You would have to cross university ave to get to the school (university ave is a very busy street, it may be a pain.) There are about 40 units located at Harvey st. I believe rent was about $500, although I don't have the exact figure for Harvey st. Also they charge an additional $15 dollars a month for parking.

Eagle Heights: Mostly 1 and 2 bdrm, not fully furnished (laundry, fridge, and oven is provided). Eagle Heights has close to 1,000 units and is located very close to the med school on the free shuttle service route. The area around Eagle heights is nice, quiet, and even a little woodsy with a large community garden located nearby. No busy street to cross in order to get to the med school. Even grocery stores are very close by. You could easily walk or ride your bike everyday to get to the med school. The rent is $585 dollars a month with everything except electricity included. Parking is also included at no additional charge. There are alot of grad/professional students who are married with kids living at Eagle Heights.

If you are considering living in these apts then you should fill out an application ASAP. That way you will be towards the top of the wait list (if you did not fill out an app until august you might have a very difficult time getting into these apts). The application and more info can be found at:

www.housing.wisc.edu/universityapartments/ Or you can call them at 1-608-262-3407. I hope this helps!

jjzechlinski said:
Hi all,

Just officially introducing myself as a UW-Mad 2010 class member. Actually, I'm having some last minute difficulties deciding between MCW (milwaukee) and Madison. Any advice out there? How many of the rotations are you outside of Madison, esp. if you aren't married/no kids/etc? Do you think a school like MCW might make you a bit more disadvantaged when it comes to residencies, compared to Madison? Comments would be much appreciated...

Anyways, good chance I'll be staying at UW. Any tennis players out there? There are tons of good indoor courts at Nielson (cheap too!).

-joe zechlinski

Hi Joe-

Congrats on becoming a member of the UW class of 2010! I really suck at tennis, but I still enjoy playing when I get the chance (I am ashamed to be admitting this, but a couple of girls have destroyed me in a tennis game!). Perhaps you could help me to bring my game up to a respectable level.

As far as the whole UW vs MCW thing is concerned, I don't think you can make wrong choice either way. I was very impressed with MCW and I do not think that it will put you at any disadvantage when comes time to apply to a residency. My friend is a student there right now and he is really enjoying it. UW vs MCW is a tough choice to make because I feel they are both really great schools. Go with what you feel is the best for you!

Hi all,

adding myself to the list. just curious if you guys have or will pick U Wisconsin Madison over other schools and which.

I got accepted to U Wisc and I found out only 2 days ago!!

Im a Southern Californian and really excited about UW

A lot of people have asked about the second look weekend. Does anyone know anything for sure??'

liverotcod, did you go to the second look weekend?

hooray for the class of 2010. :thumbup: :thumbup:

jjzechlinski said:
Hi all,

-joe zechlinski

What's up fellow PLT'er? Congratulations on getting into UW! Professor Strang would be proud.

DrZee said:
I got accepted to U Wisc and I found out only 2 days ago!!
Congrats!
Im a Southern Californian and really excited about UW
I'm wondering if you are the person that stayed in a particular Middleton basement when you interviewed. My basement, that is.
A lot of people have asked about the second look weekend. Does anyone know anything for sure??'

liverotcod, did you go to the second look weekend?
No, although I did take my family exploring in Madison while we were trying to decide between UM and UW. Hard to say whether it's worth flying in from LA for it. If you have any questions about UW or living in Madison that I might be able to answer, please let me know.

liverotcod said:
Congrats!.
Thanks!!

liverotcod said:
I'm wondering if you are the person that stayed in a particular Middleton basement when you interviewed. My basement, that is
Indeed, I am the same lucky girl who stayed on the new air mattress in the particular basement in middleton...remember the Chinese fortune cookie I opened the night before the interview, it said something like: " you will achieve what your heart desires" and we all laughed about the implications :p well it came true!! :) ;)
Say hi to your family for me

liverotcod said:
No, although I did take my family exploring in Madison while we were trying to decide between UM and UW. Hard to say whether it's worth flying in from LA for it. If you have any questions about UW or living in Madison that I might be able to answer, please let me know.

I was thinking of coming for the second look to arrange my future living arrangements and sign a housing contract and figure out what Ill need to bring with me come time to start school.

Hi DrZee,

Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm also from California, and I am glad there will be a few of us out there.

I don't know if you have looked on the medical student web site, but that's how I found my place.
http://www.uwmedstudents.com/
You can ask the tenants or your future housemate to send you some pictures and maybe a floor plan. Also, I signed my lease by fax, and that was pretty painless. So maybe you don't even have to fly out to get a place, unless you want to.
What sux about many places in Madison is that the lease starts August 15th..and our classes start the 16th. At least that’s what ended up happening in my case.

So, are you thinking of driving to Wisconsin?
ROAD TRIP!

DrZee said:
Thanks!!

I was thinking of coming for the second look to arrange my future living arrangements and sign a housing contract and figure out what Ill need to bring with me come time to start school.

Glad to see so many responses but I know there are more of you out there! Only 5 months until Orientation!

Makaka said:
Hi DrZee,

Congratulations on the acceptance! I'm also from California, and I am glad there will be a few of us out there.

I don't know if you have looked on the medical student web site, but that's how I found my place.
http://www.uwmedstudents.com/
You can ask the tenants or your future housemate to send you some pictures and maybe a floor plan. Also, I signed my lease by fax, and that was pretty painless. So maybe you don't even have to fly out to get a place, unless you want to.
What sux about many places in Madison is that the lease starts August 15th..and our classes start the 16th. At least that’s what ended up happening in my case.

So, are you thinking of driving to Wisconsin?
ROAD TRIP!
Hi Makaka,
Sorry I responded so late, I was out of town for a while. I actually didnt remember to check the med student website so my first assignment is to check that out and see whats up for rent. Thanks for posting the link.
Now that Im thinking, I prolly dont need to come up to madison until August.

I have no idea how to carry my bed and desk....are you going to drive all the way with your stuff???? :confused: Im considering buying a new set of furniture instead. Do they have an IKEA in Madison? :D

MollyMalone said:
Sadly, no. :( The closest one is in Schaumberg, IL, about 100 miles away.
Oh :oops:

I guess I dont need much stuff anyways... just a bed, some clothing and maybe a desk....I can fashion the furniture out of empty cardboard boxes and spend the money on textbooks instead :laugh:

DrZee said:

I guess I dont need much stuff anyways... just a bed, some clothing and maybe a desk....I can fashion the furniture out of empty cardboard boxes and spend the money on textbooks instead :laugh:
Actually, I find myself spending considerably under-budget on textbooks, since the course packets are pretty inclusive and cheap, and copies of the optional texts are in the library or available used from upperclassmen. I just got a pretty decent deal on a futon frame and mattress from a discounter here in Madison; worth considering especially if you have a small apartment.

DrZee said:

You can make just about any furniture item you might possibly need from cinder blocks and boards. :) We do have Home Depot.

(Ok, so I'm sort of kidding, but you really can do an impressive variety of things. My friend upgraded to glass block and, with some paint for the boards, actually made a totally kickass entertainment center/bookshelf/desk combination. I myself am not quite that creative.)

OK, who's taking summer anatomy? Just got the e-mail and it looks good to me.

Summer Anatomy looks good to me as well but I am suddenly unsure about what to do with waitlists at other places. Does taking summer anatomy mean that you are technically and irrevocably enrolled for ever?? I guess it does.

:oops:

PH7.4 said:
OK, who's taking summer anatomy? Just got the e-mail and it looks good to me.

Count me in for summer anatomy! I signed up yesterday.

PH7.4, are you taking summer anatomy for sure then, or are you still deciding?

DrZee said:
Summer Anatomy looks good to me as well but I am suddenly unsure about what to do with waitlists at other places. Does taking summer anatomy mean that you are technically and irrevocably enrolled for ever?? I guess it does.

:oops:
I should think so. Most people don't do summer anatomy and do just fine, of course. So if you have waitlists you want to sweat out, I wouldn't let summer anatomy influence that.