University of Wisconsin c/o 2018 applicants!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lab Vet

I love regs!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another tough institution to which to gain admission as an OOS applicant. Wisconsin has a top notch program across the board- I'm giving it my all. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Best of Luck everyone!! I knew someone here in Illinois who got into WI so don't doubt yourselves!

Wish I could apply, but I have a C- in orgo :'(

Good luck everyone! I will be an IS applicant to UW in a couple of years. :thumbup: However, I work on campus with a girl from the east coast who just finished her first year of vet school here. She was waitlisted and then made it off the waitlist in late June last year.

I cannot say enough good things about Madison & the beautiful (huge!) campus here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Keep your heads up Applicants! If you look at the wait list survivor thread for 2017- Wisconsin went to about #20 on the OSS wait list. So there is Hope!!

Keep your heads up Applicants! If you look at the wait list survivor thread for 2017- Wisconsin went to about #20 on the OSS wait list. So there is Hope!!

:thumbup:

woo hoo... UW applicants. Don't be deterred as an OOS, I got in as a Georgia resident! good luck :luck:

woo hoo... UW applicants. Don't be deterred as an OOS, I got in as a Georgia resident! good luck :luck:

Congrats, tvo! The Univ. of Wisconsin is an amazing school- for Veterinary Medicine, as well as for many other disciplines. You must have been a stellar applicant to have been admitted OOS with so many applicants vying for so few slots. I'm definitely throwing my hat into the Wisconsin ring this cycle. I'd love to be admitted- we'll see :)

Best of Luck everyone!! I knew someone here in Illinois who got into WI so don't doubt yourselves!

'(

I'm an IL resident shooting for UW as well! Any idea what his or her stats looked like? And is he or she definitely attending UW instead of U of I? I feel like it would be a tough choice if I got into both.

On a different note, there's definitely no supplemental for UW due until later right? That's what the website says, but it seems weird to only do the VMCAS and nothing unique for the school until November.

GoldenGirl: Don't forget to fill out/submit the Univ. of Wisconsin's 'Required Applicant Data Form'

https://apps.vetmed.wisc.edu/radf/radf.aspx

by October 2, 2013 (1 PM CDT) along with your VMCAS. Wisconsin will then send you their Supplemental app in November.

I'm an IL resident shooting for UW as well! Any idea what his or her stats looked like? And is he or she definitely attending UW instead of U of I? I feel like it would be a tough choice if I got into both.

I'm not sure on his exact stats, but as a person he is super smart and studious. The main thing that helped him/set him apart was that he had a TON of dairy cattle experience, was in academic triathlons, studied abroad, etc. Hope that helps!

I'm not sure on his exact stats, but as a person he is super smart and studious. The main thing that helped him/set him apart was that he had a TON of dairy cattle experience, was in academic triathlons, studied abroad, etc. Hope that helps!

I'm applying to Wisconsin as an OOS applicant too. I looked at the average stats for OOS applicants and they were pretty overwhelming...particularly in the GRE category.

The guy you're talking about sounds similar to me in terms of animal and extracurricular experience. I'm kinda worried that I wouldn't be set apart from other smart, studious, extracurricular involved students

Since they don't interview, I feel like they'd be quick to write me off if they spot even one area of weakness... :( and UW is one of my top schools

Hey guys! Thought I'd pop onto this thread for a second. SDN helped me out a lot last year when I was dealing with the application process and was in the same shoes y'all are in. I'm a first year at UW this year as an OOS applicant/student. So if any of you have any questions, concerns, etc. about applying as an OOS applicant or anything at all let me know! This school is fabulous!

i want to apply as an out of state student but i honestly think i have no chance, all my GPA's are just under a 3.5 and my GRE is verbal 153 (58%) and math 152 (49%)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Thought I'd pop onto this thread for a second. SDN helped me out a lot last year when I was dealing with the application process and was in the same shoes y'all are in. I'm a first year at UW this year as an OOS applicant/student. So if any of you have any questions, concerns, etc. about applying as an OOS applicant or anything at all let me know! This school is fabulous!

Thanks for posting! I think a lot of us are fearful applying as OOS applicants, but I've heard really great things about UW. Based on my impression from the website, it seems like because there's such a small class size, admissions is really focused on the numbers (i.e. GPA and GRE scores). Is this accurate, or is it a more multi-dimensional app process?

Thanks for posting! I think a lot of us are fearful applying as OOS applicants, but I've heard really great things about UW. Based on my impression from the website, it seems like because there's such a small class size, admissions is really focused on the numbers (i.e. GPA and GRE scores). Is this accurate, or is it a more multi-dimensional app process?

Totally understandable to be fearful considering they only accept 27 OOS applicants out of the hundreds that apply (at least they increased the numbers by 7!). When I first applied, I thought UW was very focused on GPA and GRE scores so I was skeptical at best about even being considered (my cum GPA was at around 3.6 and GRE was in the 150s for both quant and verbal). I can't say anything about how the admissions committee makes their decisions, but I do know that they are very considerate when looking at the level of experience you have, both veterinary and animal-related. I think I had around 2500 vet experience and 1000 animal-only experience hours when I applied which I think got me through the admissions process. So I'd like to say the process is more multi-dimensional. They strive to have a lot of diversity in their classes from what I've noticed of my own class and the classes above mine. It seems they also look at your personal statement more heavily than other schools (i.e. CSU I know for sure doesn't seem to care too much about it) so I would focus on making your personal statement as strong as possible... Hope that helped a little!

Reactions: 1 user
Totally understandable to be fearful considering they only accept 27 OOS applicants out of the hundreds that apply (at least they increased the numbers by 7!). When I first applied, I thought UW was very focused on GPA and GRE scores so I was skeptical at best about even being considered (my cum GPA was at around 3.6 and GRE was in the 150s for both quant and verbal). I can't say anything about how the admissions committee makes their decisions, but I do know that they are very considerate when looking at the level of experience you have, both veterinary and animal-related. I think I had around 2500 vet experience and 1000 animal-only experience hours when I applied which I think got me through the admissions process. So I'd like to say the process is more multi-dimensional. They strive to have a lot of diversity in their classes from what I've noticed of my own class and the classes above mine. It seems they also look at your personal statement more heavily than other schools (i.e. CSU I know for sure doesn't seem to care too much about it) so I would focus on making your personal statement as strong as possible... Hope that helped a little!

That actually helps a lot! Makes me a little bit less nervous. I'm hoping that diversity, my personal statement, animal / veterinary experience, recommendations, and GPA can play to my advantage, cause my GRE scores aren't super impressive in my opinion...I already did the required background form, but what's the supplemental application like? Sorry for all the questions...haha

That actually helps a lot! Makes me a little bit less nervous. I'm hoping that diversity, my personal statement, animal / veterinary experience, recommendations, and GPA can play to my advantage, cause my GRE scores aren't super impressive in my opinion...I already did the required background form, but what's the supplemental application like? Sorry for all the questions...haha

No worries for the questions I like them :) Yes to be honest my GPA wasn't the typical "OOS Average GPA." It was around a 3.6. And they'll send you the supplemental application via e-mail some time in the fall... I can't remember if it was late October or November. I don't remember anything about the supplemental application to be honest (I applied to a good number of schools so they all blend together, haha) but I think they asked about any new experiences you had accumulated since you finished your application. I ended up saying N/A for a lot of the questions. I don't remember any essay being a part of it, unlike Illinois and Cornell, though... so if there is an essay I don't think it's too bad.

I submitted! I really like Wisconsin, but I know it is hard as crap to get into (though really, what school isn't?). I don't feel that I have anything that "stands out" though; no triathalons, or genius scores on the GRE, or winning the Miss America pageant. Just a plain old liberal arts educated country girl who only has 600 hrs of vet experience and heads a small pre-vet club. They have to have average students to balance out the exceptional ones- right?

Also, thanks for mentioning the required applicant data form... I hadn't seen that before and I would have been SOL!

I'm also in the process of applying to Wisconsin! I'm hoping my GREs make up a little bit for my lackluster GPA haha

Such a long wait for the Wisconsin supplemental. The RDAF was a piece of cake. Wonder what it will be like??

Such a long wait for the Wisconsin supplemental. The RDAF was a piece of cake. Wonder what it will be like??

It's been a few years since I applied, but I remember Wisconsin's being pretty painless. Less expensive and less difficult than other schools' supplementals. I think there was a series of very short essays.

It's been a few years since I applied, but I remember Wisconsin's being pretty painless. Less expensive and less difficult than other schools' supplementals. I think there was a series of very short essays.

:thumbup: Doesn't sound too bad. Thanks, Variegata :)

I just submitted my RADF for Wisconsin and I was kinda curious about the self-reported GPA's section. Do they trust all of own calculations or do they re-calculate themselves? And if they end up calculating it themselves anyway, why make us figure them all out? It also seems like there are several ways to calculate the required coursework GPA (when multiple classes count for a given requirement, for example) and I'm worried that if they calculate it they'll come up with something different than I did. Would they change my reported GPA's, if that happened?

Anyone else wonder about all of this, or any current UW students want to chime in with their experience? Sorry for being obsessive haha :)

I just submitted my RADF for Wisconsin and I was kinda curious about the self-reported GPA's section. Do they trust all of own calculations or do they re-calculate themselves? And if they end up calculating it themselves anyway, why make us figure them all out? It also seems like there are several ways to calculate the required coursework GPA (when multiple classes count for a given requirement, for example) and I'm worried that if they calculate it they'll come up with something different than I did. Would they change my reported GPA's, if that happened?

Anyone else wonder about all of this, or any current UW students want to chime in with their experience? Sorry for being obsessive haha :)

Hi GoldenGirl:

I had questions about the 'Last 30 Credit' GPA for Wisconsin, so gave the school a call. I spoke with Carmen in admissions and she actually went through the calculation with me over the phone (I sent her PDFs of my transcripts ahead of time, so she would have them in front of her when I called). My situation is somewhat complicated, as I had a ton of graduate research credit, which was not to be included in the Wisconsin 'Last 30 Credit' calculation. I also wanted to know whether Wisconsin wanted undergraduate research credit excluded from the calculation, as this was not explicitly stated (turns out that the school does want undergraduate research credit excluded, for those of you with such credit listed on your transcript). I asked Carmen if I was the only one having 'challenges' with the 'Last 30' calculation. She laughed and promptly told me that she had to run through the same exercise at least 75 times per application cycle ;)

As for multiple classes fulfilling the same requirement, I wouldn't worry about this. My guess is that the school would assume an applicant would choose classes with the highest grade for any given category. As for whether or not Wisconsin 'checks' the calculations. I'm not sure- it may be worth giving the admissions office a call. I'd be curious myself. They're super nice over there. Nice to have you as a fellow applicant at a few of my schools. You have good taste ;)

Has anyone gotten the supplemental yet? Or heard anything at all from UW? I haven't even gotten a single email from them since the automated "we-got-your-radf" email. Has anyone else?

Has anyone gotten the supplemental yet? Or heard anything at all from UW? I haven't even gotten a single email from them since the automated "we-got-your-radf" email. Has anyone else?

I sent an "update email" to Ms. Fahey last week and she said it should be available in the next week or two.

Reactions: 1 users
^Ditto. I sent an email on Friday and she said the supplemental would be available "in the very near future."

Email just came through with a link for the supplememtal app!! Here we go!!

IT'S FINALLY HERE, WOOO!!!:claps:

now it's not loading, noooooo +pissed+ is this happening to anyone else?? im so sad!

now it's not loading, noooooo +pissed+ is this happening to anyone else?? im so sad!

Don't worry, it did this to me too, but it is working now! Just give it a little time, as ChittyBang said there probably was a large number of people trying to reach the supplemental all at once.

I'm excited to finally get this supplemental, though I'm not sure if I'm excited to write the diversity essay... I hope inspiration hits before the due date...

Well, the supplemental is out right at the end of the quarter (during week 8 of 10 for me). I wish this one was available earlier! I'm also not looking forward to writing more essays. :dead:

I have to wait until I get home to check it out. We have three weeks to create magnificence, people! :D

Well, I for one am screwed for these essays. I had heart surgery in September and just got cleared for excess physical activity last week. So in other words, I don't really have any additional experience and I look like a bum :yuck:

Well, I for one am screwed for these essays. I had heart surgery in September and just got cleared for excess physical activity last week. So in other words, I don't really have any additional experience and I look like a bum :yuck:

I don't have any additional experience and I didn't have heart surgery, so you're better off than me, hah. :rolleyes:

Well this makes me feel a bit better. At least I'm not alone! I've just been staring at the essay questions blankly instead of writing anything...

I believe I left that part blank on Wisconsin's supplemental...and I still got in :) They just want to give you the opportunity to add anything you've done recently to your app. I think I put something like "continued as a vet tech at such and such for an additional X hours"

me too. i don't have any additional experience. went to China.. for 3 weeks.. and then since then.... haven't done anything... just stayed at home (i'm not even in school anymore).

Same here (minus the China part). I've been bumming out at home since mid-September.

Diversity statement is finally done. Phew! I'm thinking I'll submit tonight after American Horror Story. How's everyone else coming along?

Diversity statement is finally done. Phew! I'm thinking I'll submit tonight after American Horror Story. How's everyone else coming along?

I love American horror story! Every time I watch I always end up asking "What the hell am I watching!?", haha. I submitted mine on Thanksgiving I believe. At some odd hour in the wee morning. I don't think I have a chance, but I figure what's the harm in trying? Haha :)

I finished writing the diversity statement the weekend before Thanksgiving but then I completely forgot about editing/submitting it, what with Thanksgiving (and CHRISTMAS!). GAH! I'm so ready for Christmas!

Yeah, Thanksgiving was my excuse for procrastinating. I cooked everything, including the desserts...It took me a few days to recover!

And it is worth a shot! The chance may be slim, but I'll take it :)

I've been putting off this supplemental because I've been doing finals... and I just realized that there is a 4000 character limit! Are you guys discuss multiple things that make you diverse or just focusing on one thing? I didn't realize the character limit was so big and I assumed it was going to be one of those "essays" that I would have to cram into four sentences... guess I was wrong! :)

I've been putting off this supplemental because I've been doing finals... and I just realized that there is a 4000 character limit! Are you guys discuss multiple things that make you diverse or just focusing on one thing? I didn't realize the character limit was so big and I assumed it was going to be one of those "essays" that I would have to cram into four sentences... guess I was wrong! :)

I feel like I gave my entire life story hoping that something in it would make me diverse lol :rolleyes:

I know a lot of people who are vet students at UW and honestly most of the people I know did not write anywhere close to the character limit in any of the essays. I think the adcom would rather see a succinct, to-the-point essay than read a long rambling essay.

I feel like I gave my entire life story hoping that something in it would make me diverse lol :rolleyes:

That's exactly what I did.

I know a lot of people who are vet students at UW and honestly most of the people I know did not write anywhere close to the character limit in any of the essays. I think the adcom would rather see a succinct, to-the-point essay than read a long rambling essay.

Oh crud. Well I hope what I wrote was succinct enough even though it's right under the char limit.

Last edited:
Haha I didn't mean to worry you cadisestrama! I think as long as you wrote meaningful essays you should be in good shape. I guess I should rephrase my previous post: Don't feel the need to fill the character limit just for the purpose of filling it :)