University of Wisconsin Madison Undergrad Premed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Centridot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with UW-M undergrad premed? I'm leaning heavily toward attending UW-M for premed rather than University of Washington in Seattle.

How competitive is UW-M premed?
How hard is it to get a research position?
Whats the atmosphere like for premeds?
Any other comments?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this topic :(

thanks a bunch guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I go here right now

about 50 % of premeds get into somwhere from our school
It's very Easy to get research position... they hand it to you
Everyone's pretty relaxed and some do study very hard
Some sciences classes are tough to get A's in because they grade very harshly on labs and on tests. For example I got point off because I put mol-rxn rather than just mol. I was like WTF and had to ask for points back

Reactions: 1 user
Madison is great. PM me any questions that you might have. P.S. UW-M is usually used to refer to Milwaukee. Madison is typically just called Wisc.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm glad you're considering UW for undergrad!

Very few people actually go through with being pre med after their freshmen year and an even smaller number (1/4-1/5) people are still pre-med by the time they reach senior year and apply. That's just reality at every school. People come in thinking they'll ace gen chem and can't handle chem 103/104, let alone those who suffer through 109. It is very hard to get A's in the large science prerequisite classes here. In any given science class, about 10-20% of the class get's an A so you have to be one of the top student consistently in genchem, ochem, physics, bio, plus upper level bio classes.

It is very easy to get research positions here. There's the Undergraduate Research Scholars Program, contacting professors on your own, or the student job center website.

Most pre-meds here are very friendly. We have about 6 large premed/pre-health organizations so you'll always have pre-med friends. Most pre-meds here aren't gunners but a few I know are cocky as hell. The professors here won't get to know you unless you make the effort first.

Madison has so much to do, from research, student orgs, campus & residence hall events and activities..you name it and you can do it!! There's no shortage of volunteer opportunities at UW and the Morgridge Center for Public Service does a great job too. If you need more help in deciding or if you end up coming here, PM me for more guidance!

P.S. I'm heading to UW's med school in the fall so I know what I'm talking about.

I can't recommend Chem 115. I was told when I was registering at UW that it is "invitation-only." There is no doubt it is a very challenging class, and is proof-based.

UW is definitely very competitive, and definitely weeds out most of the pre-meds. There are LOTS of pre-med gunners. You have to hard-working and intelligent to get those A's. The prior post about only 10-20% of students getting A's is correct for most of the pre-req classes. If you want to coast into med school after getting an easy 3.8, it is not the right place to be. But, if you want to be really well-prepared and want an excellent education from great professors, by all means go.

Even though my grades at UW were not stellar, I was very well prepared for med school and have consistently scored near the top of my class.The research opportunities are really outstanding, and it is a really cool city. I would definitely recommend it!