1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

"University of Wisconsin - Madison"

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Pharm.D - Badger, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Just because this is my #1 choice of schools that I'm applying to, I thought I'd make a thread for applicants applying to the University of Wisconsin - Madison for Fall 2015!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cgriff20

What kind of stats do you have? They are my first choice as well! 3.81 gpa and 94 pcat, I've worked in a pharmacy for 2 years and I'm doing research with a professor, but I don't have a lot of volunteering hours, so I'm not really sure what to expect

4. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    My overall application:
    cGPA: 3.53
    sGPA: 3.89
    PCAT: 70 with a 98 in Chemistry, 85 in Math, 80 in Bio (That Darn RC brought me down, same with verbal). The director of Admissions, Jeremy advised for me not to retake my PCAT.
    -Associates Degree in Chemistry
    -BS/ Candidate in Biochemistry
    -Drastic upward grade trend.
    -A's all in pre-reqs except Calc.--> B
    -Was Student Government Treasurer: 1 year and 1/2
    -Was Volunteer Coordinator for Pre-Pharm Org
    -Now President of a Pre-Pharm Org
    -730+ hours of volunteer in an Emergency Room at a huge Trauma Hospital and Free Medical Health Clinic.
    -Aced Orgo whom Professor is writing me a LOR, Pharmacy Manager LOR, Clinic Director RN LOR
    -3+ years as a Certified Pharmacy Tech.
    -Shadowed 11 specialties from MD's
    -Shadowed 2 Podiatrists
    -Shadowed 5 Pharmacy Hospital Specialties
    -Medical Mission work in Africa with the College of Nursing from the University I attend.
    -Organic Chemistry Tutor
    -Seriously when I say this, excellent Personal Statement (I was a foster child taking away from my parents).

#3 Pharm.D - Badger, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  5. jarab012

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm applying here as well! Good luck!

6. jarab012

Pre-Pharmacy
    Do we need to turn in the supplemental app and PharmCAS at the same time in order to be interviewed?

7. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    It doesn't matter when you submit your supplemental application, as long as, it's before the deadline of November 3rd. No applicants will be reviewed for an interview until after that date. Selected applicants will receive an interview invite early december through middle of december. The two interview dates will be January 8th & 9th, 2015.

8. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Are you a Wisconsin resident?

9. jarab012

Pre-Pharmacy
    No, I'm from Michigan. Wisconsin is a top choice next to U of M and my school Wayne State. I like the midwest so I don't think I would move any further lol.

10. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Awesome! I can't wait to be a badger! I definitely feel the same about the Midwest!

11. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Why do they have a traditional application cycle? ):

12. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Interview scheduled for Thursday, January 8th, 2015 for the AM session between 8am to 12pm. It pays to get to know the Director of Admissions to find these things out early! :)

13. cgriff20

Did you get an email or did you contact them?

14. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I have been working with Jeremy for a little over two years now, and so I always talk to him. He told me at the open house last week Saturday that I WILL be receiving an interview, but I sent him a follow-up email after the open house telling him what day and session I want to interview on, so he put me down on the schedule, so it's official now!!!

#13 Pharm.D - Badger, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
    SlithyTove and 87asu like this.
  15. jarab012

Pre-Pharmacy
    I got an unofficial interview invite last night!

16. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Woot woot! I just want the official invite. I guess we have to wait until Friday the 12th! ):

17. Kaz02

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello everyone,

I got invited to interview this upcoming January. I have no prior experience with pharmacy school interviews and Madison was the only school I applied to. Reason being, Madison is the only place I want to go and if I don't get in, I'd rather finish up the ~25 credits for my bachelors. I'm sure I'll find out the specifics later this week in the formal email, but I am just way too curious and have a couple questions. Does anyone know:

How many people I will be interviewing in front of?

If there are any specific questions that are uniquely asked by Madison that come up year after year? With the exception of why Madison, etc.

This may be a stupid question, but remember this is going to be my first pharmacy interview. Do you get asked to elaborate on past experiences from volunteering, working, doing undergraduate research, etc.? If this is the case the interview will fly by and be nothing to sweat!

Anyone have any past interview experiences they would like to share?

Thanks in advanced for the input

18. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The Director of Admissions, Jeremy Altschafl, said approximately 290 students will be invited to interview. They have two sessions per day (AM and PM session), and are on Thursday, January 8th and Friday, January 9th. My interview date is scheduled for Thursday, January 8th, for the AM session. There will be approximately 72 students per session. Some will be doing a writing session, while others are interviewing, while others are touring the school. Far as questions go, just look on SDN forums to get a general idea for questions they might ask for which, your not 100% sure until you get to the interview. I got accepted to every school I applied to this cycle (first time applying). I got accepted to the #3 school in the country for Pharmacy, the University of Minnesota - Twin Cities. They are not bad at all. After my first interview, I was like I had nothing to worry about. Are you a Wisconsin resident?

19. Kaz02

Pre-Pharmacy
    Thanks for the feedback. Is the writing session just questions the university will use to get to know you better or is it yet another essay similar to that of the pharmCAS application essay and personal statement? My residency status is uncertain at this point. I claimed permanent residency in Wisconsin about a year and a half ago.

20. Kaz02

Pre-Pharmacy

21. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Accepted!!!!!!! :) Received an email today from Jeremy stating that I was accepted for admission for Fall 2015! It was an informal email, but said my Official Letter of Acceptance will be updated via the supplemental soon! So excited and I'm looking forward to seeing you all in the fall! Good Luck! :)

Hubb and spierini like this.
  22. Hubb

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congrats! I was also accepted! I flipped my lid when I read the email.

Pharm.D - Badger and spierini like this.
  23. spierini

Pre-Pharmacy
    Congrats to both of you! I also recieved the email for my acceptance and could not be more excited! Ready to be a Badger! Do either of you know if there is some way to confirm that we have satisfy all of the pre req coursework? I just want to make sure I'm safe with all my classes.

Hubb and Pharm.D - Badger like this.
  24. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I loved that part of the email! What do you think? Are you ready to become a badger?!? YES! Can not even wait! I would just make sure your supplemental is all updated with the final coursework transcript sent in! If you want to make sure, email Jeremy for a confirmation! Are you both from Wisconsin?

25. spierini

Pre-Pharmacy
    I am not from Wisconsin, I am from California. It's going to be a big change for me but I couldn't be more excited. Definitely became my top choice after I visited for my interview. Are you from Wisconsin?

26. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Awesome! Yeah it most definitely will be a change! I am! I'm from Milwaukee, Wisconsin! What part of California are you from?

spierini likes this.
  27. Canadian012

Pre-Pharmacy
    Hello all, I received my acceptance a few days ago and I am so excited to be a badger! Congrats to all of you as well!

Pharm.D - Badger likes this.
  28. Hubb

Pre-Pharmacy
    Sorry I'm responding so late but I'm also not from Wisconsin. I'm from Tennessee

29. Pharm.D - Badger

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Nice! Well, I can't wait to finish this last semester and begin Pharmacy School. My name is Matt, it's nice to meet you guys!

30. spierini

Pre-Pharmacy
    I'm from South Lake Tahoe. Its northern California. But good to hear from some people who are also admitted and can't wait to meet everyone in person! Good luck the rest of your semester.

Pharm.D - Badger likes this.