University of Wisconsin Vs Medical College of Wisconsin

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uwguy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What have you guys heard about the differnces between the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the Medical College of Wisconsin. I'm trying to decided between the two as a Wisconsin resident.

Members don't see this ad.

I go here (UW) and I got accepted to MCW. I didn't apply to UW, cuz I'm not a resident (i'm from MN). I have worked over at the med school, and I'm currently taking some classes there. I think that MCW's basic science facilities are much nicer than UW's. I don't know about UW's clinical facilities, but I have heard they are better than MCW's (as is UW's reputation). I don't know about you, but I like Madison much better as a city (not to mention how much cooler it is to have a University full of people to chill with). I think both schools have their pro's and con's, but they're pretty comparable with regard to overall quality. For WI residents there isn't even too much of a tuition discrepancy, so it kind of comes down to what kind of environment you're looking for. Hope this helps.

Hey uwguy,
I go to UW, too, and have interviewed and been waitlisted here. I have an MCW interview over winter break. I know that it will be a really hard decision for me to make. I absolutely LOVE Madison, and I'm not even too worried about the basic science facilities since the new medical school will be built by the time we're MS2s, and it looks possibly even nicer than MCW from the plans. However, I have heard almost only good things about MCW, and the students seem EXTREMELY happy. If it comes down to having a choice between the two, it will eb quite difficult for me!!

Good Luck, Shannon

Members don't see this ad :)
you've heard 'almost all good things about mcw'. What are the not so good things you've heard about both schools?

What have people heard about the differences between the clinical progams the two schools?

What about differences in the basic sciences years?

One of the differences that I have heard in basic science years is the way they take exams - MCW in "blocks", UW spread out over a few weeks. Also, have heard that MCW has a more clinical focua than UW's academic focus, but the bigger name instructors are at UW (possibly important for residency recommendations, if you need prestige.) Also, UW rotates you through a few different facilities throughout the state during clinical year,s but MCW has access to many more hospitals in the city than there are in Madison.
That's about all I know for differences, and it jsut depends on how you value them.

I will be able to tell you more about MCW after Jan. 11, as I have an interview then.

Are you applying this year?

Shannon

don't let this thread die ...I need some info..please help..thanks

go to interviewfeedback.com and look on there..that should give you some useful info

Not many guys have added much to UW's or MCW's interviewfeedback.com let's add some!

Well, if you're at all interested in research, then there's really no comparison...UW is by far the superior school. With that said, there a couple of odd things in the UW curriculum, like the fact that you have take a biochemistry lab during your first year. Apparently, it's pretty much a waste of time. That was one thing I didn't like.

There's my $.02

Adam

I would like to disagree with UW being the superior school with respect to research. This may have been true, and I don't know the exact numbers, but MCWs research has increased immensely over the past 10 years so that it is comparable to any major medical center. The only reason people assume UW has better research is because MCW does not have an attached undergraduate school and a very small graduate program. Otherwise, clinical research and bench research at MCW is amazing (there is a biannual functional MRI course at MCW because it is one of the pioneers in this field).

Originally posted by Whisker Barrell Cortex:
•I would like to disagree with UW being the superior school with respect to research. This may have been true, and I don't know the exact numbers, but MCWs research has increased immensely over the past 10 years so that it is comparable to any major medical center. The only reason people assume UW has better research is because MCW does not have an attached undergraduate school and a very small graduate program. Otherwise, clinical research and bench research at MCW is amazing (there is a biannual functional MRI course at MCW because it is one of the pioneers in this field).•••

I'd sort of like to disagree with your disagreement. When I said that UW was better in research, I didn't mean that there wasn't any at MCW. It's just that UW is basically a research juggernaught (sp?). They have the second largest graduate program in the country (second to UT Austin, I think) and graduate ~1800 PhD's a year. There is just no way that MCW could generate a similar amount of research output or could offer the unbeleivable variety or research opportunities. So, I think that if research is important to you, the choice is clear. That's not to say though, that there wouldn't be any opportunities at MCW.

Just more of my opinions though :)

Adam

Other people have hit on probably to more important aspects to the differences between the two, but I have one glaring one that I noticed. After interviewing and dealing with both places, I have realized that Madison (UW) is very, very disorganized. Their handling of applications has been an awful mess. Out of the schools I applied to, the only school about as disorganized as Madison was Northwestern (which many have complained about on this board). MCW is way more on top of things. I have heard that UW disorganization is not localized to just its application process.

After visiting both places, I also found I liked MCW much more. The buildings at MCW are much nicer, there is better parking (!), the students seem happier, the atmosphere is more friendly. The students I talked to at UW were not enthusiastic, and one told me that she felt the class was overly competitive (another student then got upset with her because she was saying negative things to interviewees). Also, MCW has the added bonus of having a mix of students--half Wisconsin, half not. And depending on what you are looking for, I would rather live in Milwaukee than Madison. I am kinda sick of the whole undergrad thing, so I would rather go to MCW.

So basically, I have nothing but ill-feelings towards UW, and think MCW is pretty ok. I doubt I will go to school at either of them (Go CWRU!), but when the whole money-thing sets in I might go to MCW. Thats just my thoughts.

Oh yeah, and though it is just rumours, I heard that although Madison claims the new building will be ready for the 2003-2004 school year, it is rather doubtful.

Any word on the UW cutting the number of WI residents admitted in the future classes? I heard a rumor to that affect on an earlier thread. Also, anyone know FOR SURE when the new medical building will be done?

Go PACKERS!

I thought the thread was not about cutting Wisconsin residents, but rather cutting the amount of people the attended the UW-Madison as an undergrad.

I've heard the building will be finishied in Late 2003. So at least by the start of the second semester of the 2003/2004 school year. I've walked down there recently and there is a lot of dirt moving going on!