University Of Wollongong

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Drwanabe

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys Any Comments About This Universities Medical School, I Know Its Fairly New, But It Seems Like They Have Some Hi-tech Labs And What Not, Any Canadians Attending There.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

We currenlty have 2 Canadians in second year and 8 Canadians in first year. I am the head of admissions and will be in Canada in 5 or so weeks. Let me know if you need more info

Cheers
Lyndal

Canadian citizen here, interviewing for Wollongong in Toronto in April and very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
WOOT!! Will be great to meet you!! Which city are you in?

Lyndal
------------------------------------------------------------
A/Prof Lyndal Parker-Newlyn
Associate Professor of Medical Education
Academic Leader, Admissions & Selection
University of Wollongong

Yes, I can't wait! I am currently just outside of Toronto.

I just found out I've got one too!! i'm so stoked! I think i'm going to be going to Vancouver (even though i'm from St. John's) cause i have to give my honours defense on the 23rd! Can't wait!!

Hey Jeff! Cool to see you - let me know as soon as you've decided where you want to interview so we can slot you in a place.

12 days till I fly :) Its going to be fun to meet you all!!

Cheers
Lyndal

I didnt even know about the university there, but I have three friends from Wollongong and I loved all of them so I hope you guys that might go there meet similar um...wollongongians

Last edited:
Is anybody else from this forum interviewing in Washington? I'll be there at 11... hopefully I'll see some of you there.

Canadian citizen here, interviewing for Wollongong in Toronto in April and very excited!

Also interviewing in Toronto! Congrats and good luck to all, hope to meet you in Oz!!!

wow- you guys are all here :)

Any questions for me while so many of us are in the same place??

Lyndal

Lyndal

Well, you've touched on this answer for me via email before, but I'm sure that many of the other people here are wondering the same thing:

Most of us will have a choice between UoW and many of the other schools in Australia, most of which are (a) older/more established, and (b) located in larger, more exciting metropolitan areas. Because of basic supply & demand economics, it is obvious that Wollongong must offer some other advantages just for the sake of competing. What such advantages should we consider when making our final decisions?

I also have another question which I probably haven't asked you before:
I noticed while browsing UoW's website that the university seems to have a strong program in Medical/Radiation Physics (based on the fact that you have significantly more medical physics faculty members than most US universities). I am very interested in medical physics research and, in fact, I almost decided to do a PhD in that field before I realized that medical school is a better option for my long-term goals. Is there any way for me to incorporate this sort of research into my MBBS curriculum? I'd consider such an option in any capacity, whether it is an Honors project, an MPhil degree, or a full PhD degree.
If I can't do it now, I'll probably just end up working towards a PhD part-time after I finish medical school. Of course, in the interest of saving time (and having a better CV when I'm applying for residencies), I'd rather do all of my schooling at once.

Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Lynda,

I applied via Australearn. I hope the process completes itself in time so that I'll be able to meet with you during the upcoming early Vancouver interview opportunity. Thanks!

Most of us will have a choice between UoW and many of the other schools in Australia, most of which are (a) older/more established, and (b) located in larger, more exciting metropolitan areas. Because of basic supply & demand economics, it is obvious that Wollongong must offer some other advantages just for the sake of competing. What such advantages should we consider when making our final decisions?

Hi Shan

I think there's a number of things that make Wollongong unique. The University itself has a reputation for innovation and as a brand new program within UOW, we at the Graduate School of Medicine have been able to incorporate some of the best innovative ideas in medical education into our curriculum, and are flexible and responsive to change. We have focused heavily on the quality of our education- our academic staff are not just researchers and experts in their field, they are GREAT teachers as well, which you certainly don’t find in every school.

We have a small student cohort (84 students in total - split across two campuses - 56 on Wollongong campus and only 28 on Shoalhaven campus) so you really get personal service - you will be known as an individual and supported in your studies in our program. As one of only 12 international students you know you have been hand-picked as a person, not a number, and with the majority of our international students from Canada and the US we are aware of the issues facing you if you choose to come home to practise.

One of our other areas of strength is in clinical skills - our integrated clinical skills and clinical placements occur from week one of the program and will arm you with excellent skills on graduation. As our focus is based around regional, rural and remote medicine; many of these experiences will happen outside of the metro areas – allowing you a more hands on, diverse and rewarding experience … rather than being one student in a sea of faces in the city, you may be one of only a couple of students in an entire community – an experience with responsibility and long term engagement with patients that only a handful of schools can offer.

Lets be honest, I’m biased J I am passionate about this program and I believe it is one of the best medical curricula around. We are already developing a reputation nationally and internationally for our program.. and that will continue to grow. Hope that answers your question in some way !

I am very interested in medical physics research and, in fact, I almost decided to do a PhD in that field before I realized that medical school is a better option for my long-term goals. Is there any way for me to incorporate this sort of research into my MBBS curriculum? I'd consider such an option in any capacity, whether it is an Honors project, an MPhil degree, or a full PhD degree.

Interesting question…. At this stage we do not offer combined degrees, basically due to the workload of the MBBS program. The Wollongong curriculum is highly demanding, due to the focus on traditional sciences (such as biochemistry, dissection anatomy etc ), behavioural sciences and communication skills, high level clinical skills and long term clinical placements, some of which are out of the local area. The course requires a lot of group work and self directed learning, all of which are time consuming. To be honest, I doubt you would have time to complete any meaningful research in the time you are studying in the MBBS program. There have been several students ask the same question before entering the program, and all have been very pleased we discouraged them when they realise how much they underestimated the workload. I really don’t think it’s a sustainable option to do simultaneously.

I applied via Australearn. I hope the process completes itself in time so that I'll be able to meet with you during the upcoming early Vancouver interview opportunity. Thanks!

Excellent stuff liquid krystale!! Now I know you have applied I will keep an eye out for your application. I leave for the USA next week, but will continue to assess applications as they come in, so watch your email fingers crossed

Cheers all
Lyndal

I've been able to get the date of my honours defense changed so I'm gonna be able to make it to the TO interview! Looking forward to meeting you giantaxon. Interestingly enough i'm giving a presentation on a paper using the giant axon model tomorrow. maybe its a sign? haha!

this is good news because i have to be in ottawa for a board meeting on the 19th and 20th! so i'll only be a quick jump away for the interview.

See you guys in TO!

J

Lyndal

I just thought of another one that the rest of the people might also like to see.

If I decide I like Australia and I manage to get permanent residency during my tenure at UoW, would it be possible for me to switch to a Commonwealth-supported place? Or would I have to take a domestic full fee-paying place?

Last edited:
I just thought of another one that the rest of the people might also like to see.

If I decide I like Australia and I manage to get permanent residency during my tenure at UoW, would it be possible for me to switch to a Commonwealth-supported place? Or would I have to take a domestic full fee-paying place?

I was wondering the same thing. Melbourne and Syndey have official protocols they follow if you obtain PR during your med degree. Apparently they place you in a commonwealth full fee paying spot (if available) but switch you over to a supported spot if available (most ideal situation). However, some on this forum have said that they've heard of people being kicked out. I'm not sure what differences in circumstance seperated those who were expelled from those who were allowed to stay, but I would appreciate further clarification on this issue from those currently studying in Australia and University recruiters.

Also, if you are let go from one school, can't you just apply to transfer to another and continue your medical education, since your expulsion was not for academic misconduct but based on bureaucratic reasons?

Please advise...
Thanks a ton!

This is a challenging problem. Lets start from a general sense : The short answer is that applying for PR while you are enrolled as an international student is risky ++++ and I would strongly advise against it at any school. If a school has a domestic FFP (full fee paying) place to offer you then you could be offered one, but if not, you could be in trouble as they would need to have a free Commonwealth supported place which is much less likely.

The extra complication is, with a change of government, there is talk of domestic FFP places being decreased or phased out altogether, which limits the options significantly.

So, lets discuss from a Wollongong point of view....

UOW does not offer domestic FFP in medicine at all - all of our students are Commonwealth supported or rural bonded / scholarship places only. The University senate doesnt believe in domestic places being fee paying (Can discuss that philosophical viewpoint if anyone's interested ) If you obtain PR during the course the most likely result is that you could be excluded from the program. The University's only option would be allow you to continue for free - which economically would be very unlikely.

Transfer is possible - but as many programs in Australia are quite different, transfer is not simple and certainly happens very rarely. If you are considering staying in Australia I would strongly recommend you do not apply for PR until after you graduate.

Does that all make sense?

Last edited:
hey u guys!

I was wondering if there's ne one else waiting to hear from UOW and is from canada. I just recently applied and i'm hoping to get interviewed at the end of this month.. i haven't heard anything yet .. i wonder if my application was too late.

Hi lynda,

I was checking out the Canadian student loans website and noticed (with dismay) that the University of Wollongong wasn't on their list of approved international schools. Do you know whether any of your past Canadian students have successfully taken out loans with the Canadian government?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi lynda,

I was checking out the Canadian student loans website and noticed (with dismay) that the University of Wollongong wasn't on their list of approved international schools. Do you know whether any of your past Canadian students have successfully taken out loans with the Canadian government?

Thanks a bunch!

Yes, Im 99% sure they have, but I'll check. Leave it with me and I'll get back to you

Lyndal

Hi lynda,

Thanks a bunch!

Hey Lyndal and Liquid Krystale ,

I don't know if this is helpful but I did a quick search on the provincial aspects of financial assistance. This was what I dug up with google.

- Ontario Student Assistance Program approves
Source: https://osap.gov.on.ca

- Alberta Student Assistance programs approves

- Manitoba Student Financial Assistance Program approves

- Province of British Columbia Canada Student Loans Program approves

source: http://www.uow.edu.au/prospective/studyabroad/financial/index.html

I didn't check the other provinces but going on the trend it looks like the provinces are fine with UOW. Please also note that the UOW web site link is not a complete list as Ontario is not listed but most definitely recognizes UOW.

I would assume this would allow one to receive assistance from other sources such as the popular Royal Bank plan and it makes me confident that the 99% yes figure is likely 100%. :)

I noticed on the US Department of Education's FAFSA website that the University of Wollongong is approved for federal Stafford loans, but does that include the Graduate School of Medicine? Thanks.

Website to verify that a school is approved for US federal Stafford loans:

http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/FOTWWebApp/FSLookupServlet

Federal school code:

UNIVERSITY OF WOLLONGONG
NORTHFIELDS AVENUE
WOLLONGONG
Federal School Code: G30914

Thanks guys! My understanding is that Canada is no problem, they recognsie Australian schools from opening for federal loans. The US is a different story - as I understand it they will not recognise any medical schools for Stafford loans until they have had 2 graduating years (their logic is that the schools may go belly-up before they graduate students- this is unheard of in Australia, but US govt uses the same rules for the entire world).

I would suggest that if you need more detail you check with Australearn as their team does all the financial advising for our students - they know all the local details for you. Toll free numbers are:

American students 1800 080 0033

Canadian students 1888 637 4412

Cheers from Toronto, ON

Lyndal

Hi! I am holding an information session at the Sheraton Centre Toronto, 123 Queen Street West regarding the UOW MBBS programme tomorrow Sunday 20th April. Just roll up between 1.00-2.00pm, I will be in the Oxford Room on the GM (mezzanine level) and can answer all your questions.

Alternatively, if you woud like to meet with me indivually to discuss your options, Sarah Nightengale from Australearn is making appointments for me to meet students in Toronto and Vancouver - just call Sarah on 1888 637 4412 or email [email protected]

Of course, you cand rop em an email or PM anytime :)

Cheers from beautiful sunny Toronto

Lyndal

Sunny Toronto???!!! Are you kidding?

It is beautiful today- llike 22 degrees C or something! today it is definitely sunny Toronto

How shocking that Toronto is experiencing such fantastic weather when just yesterday Vancouver received approx. 2 inches of snow in a matter of a couple of hours.
Oh well...nature is unpredictable, almost as unpredictable as getting acceptance into med school.

Last edited:
Thanks Giantaxon.... we aim to provide a personal experience as much as we can..I'm glad you feel we have achieved that for you. Congrats on your offer!!

By the way, you better update your signature line... (does it feel real yet?)

Hey all,

I was just accepted to the University of Wollongong med program! I am extremely super pumped and will be counting down the days till I start!

For future prospective students, if you are interested in Wollongong I just want to tell you I have had a very positive experience with this school. I applaud their efforts to meet with students online and offline. I certainly think that if you are considering studying in Australia this is a program worth looking into.

Cheers,

Giant Axon

Congradulations Giant Axon!

I agree about your comment regarding the positive experience and helpfulness of the ad com (lynda and victoria) in answering all of my questions and concerns.

Good luck to all the other candidates who applied to and interviewed with Wollongong.

Last edited:
Sig change done! Thanks liquid krystale!

The whole thing is still sinking in. It is very surreal after imagining it for so long. I think it will really hit home once I get that physical acceptance package in the mail. ;)

How is it in Wollongong as a med students.
I think it has been almost a year (8months) since you got in.
Was it like what you had expected? Or more exciting?
Could you give us some feedback how was your actual experience in Wollongong med school?
(Any good/bad/ must know's..?)

Thanks in advance :)

giantaxon actually got into U of Toronto so I believe that is where he ended up.