University Student Summer Jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SC1026

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm about to finish my first year of university and I need to find a job for the summer. I'd like a job that will give me good experience and will act as a nice resume booster for applying to graduate school. I'm really unsure of whether I should just stick to the typical college student job (waiting tables, God-forbid retail, etc.) or try to find a more medically-inclined job (i.e. lab work, working in a doctor/dentist's office). My question is.. how do I go about getting that kind of a job? I've read posts from people who basically just did grunt work in a dentist's office but got some great experience out of it, and I'm sure it'd look great when applying to dental school. (Also, nice pay, i.e. $10/hour or more would be great, but that's probably asking for a lot.) Should I just look up random dentists over the internet and just send out dozens of cover letters/resumes saying that I'm interested in dental school and would love an opportunity to work in their office/gain some experience? Or should I stick to looking at labs or retail/restaurant jobs and just do some shadowing on the side?

I'm still unsure of whether or not I want to steer myself towards dental or medical school, but I've been leaning in the direction of dentistry. The job seems to fit me better, the hours and stress level are likely not as bad (compared to most physicians), and the friends that I've talked to about it have said they can see me as a dentist (for whatever that's worth! haha).

Members don't see this ad.

You can always get a job in retail or waiting tables. Find some dental labs that you could work in. Most medical establishments are not looking to hire someone just for a few months in the summer. I worked in a dental lab making models for 6 months last year. If its just for the summer, it will be grunt work. Always good to have experience and shadowing in a potential field. Just look around, stop by places, ask if they have work for you. In the meantime, you could work in a restaurant or something. It wont be easy finding a summer job in medical or dental field.

What does work in a dental lab entail? There are a couple relatively close to me - how do I go about getting just a summer job at them as a college student? I don't know much about dental labs so any information would be helpful.

Should I just send out resumes and cover letters to dental offices and dental labs around and hope to hear back? Or should I stick to waiting tables?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just stop by any dental lab in your area with your resume. Tell them your status; college student, predental student, etc. Ask if they could use some help for the summer etc etc. Meanwhile get a job in a restaurant or whatever. If you got a lab job, you'd be working M-F and off weekends anyway, so work the other job on weekends. If you dont get a lab job, work the other job all summer!

hey iceman, how many times are you going to reapply? you're too stupid to get into dental school and too stupid to give up. so sad.

hey iceman, how many times are you going to reapply? you're too stupid to get into dental school and too stupid to give up. so sad.

Are you going on a rampage?

Moving on.. :laugh:

What do you generally do in a dental lab (as a college student summer worker)? I really know nothing about them, but I found about 5 that are pretty near me. I think I'm just going to get a blah retail job until I find a more science/dentally inclined one and then for on the weekends as you said!

Moving on.. :laugh:

What do you generally do in a dental lab (as a college student summer worker)? I really know nothing about them, but I found about 5 that are pretty near me. I think I'm just going to get a blah retail job until I find a more science/dentally inclined one and then for on the weekends as you said!

what I did in the lab is make dental models. I poured impressions with stone, trimmed them, and mounted them for crown/bridge, etc fabrication. I made models for almost everything: crown, bridge, denture, implant, etc. Its not an easy job to get for a summer but maybe you'll get lucky.

Thanks for the info - I'll start calling dentist offices and dental labs next week and just keep my fingers crossed.