• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

university to community college to university?

nikesandmeds

5+ Year Member
Sep 20, 2011
New Jersey
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey guys! I wanted some advice or info from other people on my situation. I graduated high school in 2006 and went to a state university. I didn't want to be there, I just knew i should be in college. I did terrible. I didn't do any work barely went to class my first semester. My gpa was low enough to be on academic probation. The next semester I went about half way going the same way and then i decided to drop out. I then went to a technical school to become a medical assistant and have been working as one for 4 years. During that time I found the desire to become a doctor. I really wish I had known this in the past but what are you going to do. I have currently in a local community college and my gpa is a 3.8. I am looking to transfer out with a associates in bio but i want to transfer back to my original university. Would it be best to transfer to a new school totally? Or should i try and go back to my original university? I want my gpa to be as high as it can be and I have no problem working hard because it is what i want, but if my gpa is going have to be brought up from the basement, i dont know if it can be done even if i get all A's. I need some advice!!! thanks!!!

Chip N Sawbones

Ship's Carpenter
    7+ Year Member
    Jan 19, 2011
    62 degrees North
    1. Non-Student
      As long as your first college will take you back, it shouldn't matter whether you graduate from there or a different 4-year college. Medical schools will see all of your grades and calculate your GPA from all of them, so there's no way to hide your first year of college or to create an artificially high GPA by transferring and then getting perfect grades at the new school.

As long as you do well from now on you should be in good shape. Make sure you get excellent grades in your prerequisite classes and have enough volunteering and shadowing experience.

djquickfingers

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Jan 9, 2006
      Hollywood, Florida
      1. Medical Student
        doesnt matter where you go...just go somewhere legit and do extremely well. Nail those pre-req classes and do well on the MCAT...your experience in the medical field will look great on your application, but without the grades, they will be skeptical. I was practically the same as you, but I didnt drop out. I graduated with a crappy GPA, but went to a CC and got an associates in an allied profession, then went back to my UG school and finished up some pre-reqs. I just finished my 2nd year of medical school and will be taking my Step exam soon. Its doable...work your but off starting now. Don't worry about the past, because there's nothing you can do about it now.

About the Ads
        This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
        2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
        5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
        6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
        7. This thread is locked.