UNLV (IS) vs. Columbia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tyson_Brown

Reaction score
I'm a Nevada resident and most likely looking to specialize. a classic in-state vs. Ivy decision uncertainty

UNLV (IS)
Pros:
1. Lower in-state cost (~390k which is a rough total COA for an instate student (not living at home))
2. Lots of clinical/hands-on experience across all specialities
3. Weather

Cons:
1. A more competitive/stressful student atmosphere
2. Prefer NYC over LV

Columbia
Pros:
1. P/F grading
2. High specialization match rates
3. pretty fond of NYC
4. Strong didactic curriculum to prepare for specialty

Cons:
1. Cost (~511k which is a rough total COA)
(also disregard added interest over time in terms of repaying a loan. My family and I have come to an agreement that since they have the funds, that they can pay for the COA, but once I graduate, I will have to begin to pay them monthly payments to repay the amount given to me w/o interest)

Summary: the P/F grading, specialization match rates, and NYC are all very appealing to me, but I really can't tell if it's worth the extra ~120k. I do want to specialize, but not for a residency length like OMFS, six year of residency is not in my plan of action. More on the side of considering endo or anesth, but I'm sure more decisions/pros/cons will become apparent to me with the diff specialities as I progress through dental school. Just looking for some words of advice/what you might do? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
$390k in- state is pretty expensive. Are you sure both estimates include accurate cost of living? For $100k difference at that price range the P/F system and match rates might be worth it IF you’re certain you’re gonna specialize.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users