1. SDN Mobile is now free on iTunes and on the Google Play Store. Enjoy!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

UNLV (IS) vs. Dalhousie

Discussion in 'Help me Decide: X vs Y Dental School' started by therealgenden, Jan 11, 2019 at 5:40 AM.

?

UNLV Vs. Dalhousie

1. UNLV

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. Dalhousie

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    On December 3rd, I was fortunate to receive a handful of offers and decided to put down a deposit at UNLV because it is my state school. I recently interviewed and was accepted at Dalhousie as well and I am having a hard time deciding what to do.

I'm interested in Periodontics and OMFS if that makes a difference. If you know anything about these schools let me know.

UNLV
    Pros: Close to family(pro and con), large patient pool, connections, and In-State tuition all four years(220k).
    I was mostly unimpressed by the school. It seemed older and disorganized, but maybe I'm wrong.

DALHOUSIE(Canada)
    Pros: Small class size, relatively inexpensive(same cost as UNLV), new facilities, and has perio and omfs. I worry about having to move internationally.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. zToothinator

zToothinator SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Where do you want to practice dentistry after you graduate?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. OP
    OP
    therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Somewhere in the Western United States. Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, Montana, Oregon ect.

4. zToothinator

zToothinator SDN Bronze Donor
    Bronze Donor Verified Account 2+ Year Member

Then go to UNLV. I'm starting in the fall so I'm not too sure of this, but from a brief Google search, if you train internationally, you'll have more hoops to jump through if you want to come back to the US to practice.

macsak likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for the advice! Much appreciated.

6. BasicG

Dalhousie might be cheaper since 1 Canadian dollar is currently equivalent to $0.75 USD. Just something to think about

7. OP
    OP
    therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    The tuition and fees for Dal when converted to USD is nearly the exact same as unlv. Tuition/fees at unlv for first year for me is roughly 60k USD. For Dal it’s roughly 80k CAD. Those amounts are almost the same.

8. BasicG

Gotchya, didn’t know if you accounted for conversion or not

9. OP
    OP
    therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you for the help though. Do you know anything about either of the schools that would help my decision?

10. BasicG

Nope, but I would say UNLV just because it would be easier for you to move your things, network, and get licensed. Good luck!

11. OP
    OP
    therealgenden

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Thank you!

12. MG14

If it's possible, find a few graduates from each school to chat with and see how pleased they were with their education. I have found very helpful information this way.