UNLV questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

baracuda

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got an interview invite from UNLV. Has anyone been to an interview there? I've already been accepted to a few schools that I like but I'm kinda curious about what they have. Is it worth going to the interview? I live in cali and its only a few hours of driving, plus it gives me a good excuse to go over and gamble a little!!

If anyone has interviewed there, can you tell me your impressions of their program and what the interview day is like. Have they even made the dental building yet?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

baracuda,

I'm probably not much help in this area, although UNLV is one of the schools that I'll be applying to next year.

One of my neighbors interviewed at UNLV two weeks ago, and found out yesterday that he has been accepted (13 days after the interview). I would say that is generally good news in that if you are accepted you will find out soon after the interview!

My neighbor said that the new building isn't done -- it won't be up and running until the 2003 class. Dental students this coming year will have class in the undergraduate buildings. He didn't tell me anything about the interview, but he seemed to enjoy it, overall. I'll see if I can get more info from him.

One possible downside is the cost of tuition. He said it's roughly $15,000 a trimester. There are 11 trimesters before graduation (you do the math!). That does *not* include books, tools, etc.

On the positive side, if you can pass the Nevada licensing exam, it is a great place to practice. Doctor/patient ratio is one of the lowest in the country, and in general you can expect to earn $10-20k more a year, than a dentist in a similar situation elsewhere in the country.

I'll post again when I have more info on the interview process. Good luck!

Baracuda,

If I were you I would go to check it out. You are not losing anything. If another school invites me for an interview within driving distance I will be sure to go just to see what else is out there. Go with a few of your friends and just hang out...IT'S SIN CITY!! lol Have fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinc,

Thanks for the info. 15G's/trimester? Are you sure about that? seems awfully high.

UofM01,

How is it going buddy? Its funny we were planning on going to vegas in a few weeks anyways, now I have a more legitimate excuse for us to go up there. It'll be fun.

baracuda,

Yep, 15k a trimester is what it stands at. Remember, it is a public school.

Like UofM01 said, go and check the school out. The way they are running things, you should hear back in 2-3 weeks as to whether or not you've been accepted. Perhaps the school, faculty, living conditions, etc. will outweigh the tuition costs.

UNLV is a public school. The interviews are held after lunch. When you first arrive, there is a talk about the accrediation issues and the financial aid/curriculum. Then you have lunch and have the tour of the school. There is no dental school building yet, and it will not be on the main campus. The building has been purchased, but the final floor plans have not been finalized. There are 2 interviews, both of which are really laid-back. Dr. Carr is super-nice (if you get to chat with him).

good luck and have fun in las vegas!
ricegirl