Unlv

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

merger007

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone attending UNLV? How is the program?

Members don't see this ad.

dont' know, but I'm applying there this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently a 2nd year dental student at UNLV.

The program is a bit different than the usual curriculum, since we are the, so called pioneers, they have established a student council that makes more changes than a normal school. Keep in mind that these changes are subtle and don't interfere with our common lay-out of education, just rules and regulations.

To make a long story short, our school is very laid back.

b-hahn (or anybody else who knows)

Can you please discribe the facilities situation with all of us prospective students. I saw somewhere that classrooms are non-existant. Also, does UNLV have in-house instructors, or do they bring people in from out of state?

What do you mean by the school is laid back??

If any UNLV dental students could add to this thread, it would be greatly appreciated to those considering it as their school of choice. :cool:

b-hahn what do you mean by laid-back. how many hours a day are classes at unlv.how is it laid back cause it sounds like the place for me then

bump......any UNLV students out there? Please help us out with some info...

Thanks

Bump... I am desperate for info about this school.

Doesn't anyone on this forum go there, or any undergrads that are strongly considering it as a school they wish to attend have any info they can share with us?

Thanks

Well, since everybody is deathly quiet about the school, I share what I know. Like I said, I have 9 friends there who are DS2s, so they were the inaugural class.

Here was the status when I went to my interview last year:

The class was split evenly in half, and were meeting in two different rooms in the custodial building on the UNLV campus. The "rooms" were comprised of partitions to separate a larger area. This was NOT and is NOT a permanent situation.

The dental school purchased a large building that they are refurbishing and the school will be moved to that. I recall them saying that the building, which will house the classrooms and clinics, etc., would be finished by late this year or early next year.
Perhaps somebody from the school could comment on the current status of the building.

They were using a very innovative curriculum, but last I heard it didn't work too well. The current info I have is that they are using the curriculum that we invented, and will start it next year. Our school is planning on trading professors and curriculum pieces with UNLV.

Many of the faculty were from Northwestern, intially. I believe that this also included the interm dean.

The new dean, who has been in position for over a year now, is an awesome guy and really motivated. He's a good friend of my dean, so they talk on a weekly basis.

I've heard through the grapevine, but from very reliable sources, that there are some funding issues involved with UNLV, but it isn't anything they shouldn't be able to overcome.

An interesting note is that the current dean of the school is the #2 highest paid government employee in the state. Take from that what you may.

Perhaps some peeps who have interviewed there this year (mine was October 2002) could comment.

I'll hit my DS2 friends up for some info.