Unmatched Internship Applicants (Present & Past)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kitka

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did not match to an internship site in February and will be going through the application process a second time in the fall. I am wondering how those of you in the same boat (or those who have been through this in the past) are spending your time these days. My plan was to get a paying job that would contribute to my professional development, but this has been a surprisingly elusive goal. I have finished my dissertation and am not in the financial position to continue in my program another year (PsyD student, need I say more?) in order to access practicum training or additional coursework. I need an income. Given the difficulty I am having finding work (stressful enough on its own), I am now obsessing over every day that goes by without adding to my clinical experience. When I interview for internship this year I would like to be able to say that I am spending my time productively.

Members don't see this ad.

I did not match to an internship site in February and will be going through the application process a second time in the fall. I am wondering how those of you in the same boat (or those who have been through this in the past) are spending your time these days. My plan was to get a paying job that would contribute to my professional development, but this has been a surprisingly elusive goal. I have finished my dissertation and am not in the financial position to continue in my program another year (PsyD student, need I say more?) in order to access practicum training or additional coursework. I need an income. Given the difficulty I am having finding work (stressful enough on its own), I am now obsessing over every day that goes by without adding to my clinical experience. When I interview for internship this year I would like to be able to say that I am spending my time productively.

What happened with the Clearinghouse? Do they still have that?

I didn't match either. Ended up getting a great site through the Clearinghouse.

would engaging in research or program evaluation be an option?

Members don't see this ad :)
You got the bad end of a really imperfect system. I hope you find a way forward.

I'm also sorry this happened. The system is seriously flawed. I think it's great that you have finished your dissertation already. That is one thing definitely off of your plate, and a plus for internship sites considering you this next time around.

If you cannot find a full-time paid position doing something related to psychology, could you do a combo of paid work to live on (eg, waitress, clerical temp work, whatever) and unpaid practica/clinical work? Or are there assessment opportunites? I worked for a while doing testing for a grant-funded study at my university. The hours varied, but the money was not that bad, and it was related to psychology.

Best of luck to you. I hope it all works out.:luck:

The clearinghouse was not helpful for me, although I did give it a shot. I only applied to APA-approved sites in the match and the clearinghouse because I do not want to limit my career options. Unfortunately, this makes an already competitive process even more of a nightmare!

I have applied for employment as a psychometrist, psychology technician (VA), research assistant... The problem I keep running into is that I cannot make more than a one year commitment. It appears that if you are willing to work for free (i.e., practicum) organizations are more than happy to hire you on a temporary basis, but no so when there is money involved. Gotta love this field :(