QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hi guys,

I just graduated from an osteopathic medical school in 2019, but unfortunately, I did not get matched into a residency program this year. Any advice you can offer to improve my odds of getting in next year?

jurassicpark

Sith Overlord
2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2018
Death Star III
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hi guys,

I just graduated from an osteopathic medical school in 2019, but unfortunately, I did not get matched into a residency program this year. Any advice you can offer to improve my odds of getting in next year?

Sorry to hear that. But we would need some more information. What were you aiming for? Any red flags? Good board scores? Bad breath?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Sorry to hear that. But we would need some more information. What were you aiming for? Any red flags? Good board scores? Bad breath?

I applied to FM. Yes, I was definitely flagged for having multiple attempts on COMLEX level 2 (CE). I was under a lot of stress, and turned to video games for escape. I became addicted. I was not able to concentrate on studying for boards. I know that is not an excuse. Needless to say, I regret it immensely. It seems hopeless at this point.

Last edited:

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Very sorry to hear this.

Work closely with your Clinical deans
Set your sights low: FM/IM/PM&R/Ped/Path/DR in community programs, especially former AOA ones
Network

Any advice on where to begin to seek for networking. I applied to FM. It has always been my area of interest.

Splenda88

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Apply to 200+ FM programs. You should be ok.

One of my former classmates matched FM this year with 2 failed step1 and 1 failed CS and CK. She is yet to pass both CS and CK... We attended an MD school. Not sure how much that helps though.

• Wow

jurassicpark

Sith Overlord
2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2018
Death Star III
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I applied to FM. Yes, I was definitely flagged for having multiple attempts on step 2. I was under a lot to stress, and turned to video games for escape. I became addicted. I was not able to concentrate on studying for boards. I know that is not an excuse. Needless to say, I regret it immensely. It seems hopeless at this point.

What about the rest of your scores? I'm assuming Step 1 was good? And if you don't mind me asking, how many times did take Step 2 and what was your score on it? Also, all your other boards were passed in first attempt and good evals and LORs?

Did you apply very broadly? Even to lower-tier/rural community FP programs?

Video games are indeed addicting.

zNoodlez

Handmade Noodle
Feb 19, 2020
Chinatown - Narnia
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
I applied to FM. Yes, I was definitely flagged for having multiple attempts on step 2. I was under a lot to stress, and turned to video games for escape. I became addicted. I was not able to concentrate on studying for boards. I know that is not an excuse. Needless to say, I regret it immensely. It seems hopeless at this point.
If you don't mind me asking why did you take Step 2 as a DO student? I am under the impression that as far as primary care specialties are concerned, Step 1 would be enough on the USMLE side of things.

Sardonix

10+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

One of my former classmates matched FM this year with 2 failed step1 and 1 failed CS and CK. She is yet to pass both CS and CK... We attended an MD school. Not sure how much that helps though.

How are they matched yet have not passed both CS and CK?

Splenda88

2+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2019
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
How are they matched yet have not passed both CS and CK?
It was a mystery to me as well, but one of her good friend that is also my friend confirmed that she has not passed both CS/CK yet... She is an attractive female and have dated multiple guys while in med school. Take that for what you will...

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

BorntobeDO?

7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]

I agree with this strategy, I also suggest paying a service to massage your personal statement. I think you deal with the ugly right there in it, but then pay someone to make it sound better. Also make sure your letters are on point, get a job with at least some clinical exposure. I might even volunteer overseas where they will let you have more autonomy if that is financially available. Make sure your letters are good and try to get a new one.

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry

I did apply for many, I was told that applicants with more than 2 attempts automatically get filtered out. I passed level 3, thinking it will give me a boost on my application.

About the Ads

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
What about the rest of your scores? I'm assuming Step 1 was good? And if you don't mind me asking, how many times did take Step 2 and what was your score on it? Also, all your other boards were passed in first attempt and good evals and LORs?

Did you apply very broadly? Even to lower-tier/rural community FP programs?

Video games are indeed addicting.

this is really embarrassing, I passed on the second attempt for level 1 (483), I took level 2 (CE) five times (finally passed with 510), and (PE) passed on first attempt, level 3 passed on the first attempt (564). My LORs are solid, evaluations are fine. I literally applied everywhere, all over the country, I feel stuck, I don't know if there's still a future for me in medicine.

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
If you don't mind me asking why did you take Step 2 as a DO student? I am under the impression that as far as primary care specialties are concerned, Step 1 would be enough on the USMLE side of things.

sorry I meant to say COMLEX level 2. I did not take USMLE.

QMC

10+ Year Member
Sep 26, 2010
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
I agree with this strategy, I also suggest paying a service to massage your personal statement. I think you deal with the ugly right there in it, but then pay someone to make it sound better. Also make sure your letters are on point, get a job with at least some clinical exposure. I might even volunteer overseas where they will let you have more autonomy if that is financially available. Make sure your letters are good and try to get a new one.

Thank you for that!

jurassicpark

Sith Overlord
2+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2018
Death Star III
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
this is really embarrassing, I passed on the second attempt for level 1 (483), I took level 2 (CE) five times (finally passed with 510), and (PE) passed on first attempt, level 3 passed on the first attempt (564). My LORs are solid, evaluations are fine. I literally applied everywhere, all over the country, I feel stuck, I don't know if there's still a future for me in medicine.

No need to be embarrassed, some people have trouble with standardized test-taking but it is not a reflection on them as a physician. My best bud since college had to take his Steps (1 and 2) multiple times, but is loved by patients and colleagues alike.

I think it's very important that you need to develop connections. Those who took multiple attempts at boards, at least from those I know personally matched because they knew and wowed the right people. Case in point, my best bud did such a great job during his rotations, the PD carried his application through. If the places you rotated for FP or IM have residency programs and they thought highly of you, you may want to reach out to them.

Others who didn't match I know did research jobs with people connected to residency programs. It took some years to get in, but they kept at it.

Also, make sure you applied literally everywhere, like those small rural programs that are pretty much FMG programs as well.

Most importantly, know yourself. You need to be able to address everything that went wrong, why and how you fixed it especially since you took Level 3 and passed it the first time.

Wishing you the very best of luck, keep your chin up doctor!

Doggeronie

2+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I applied to FM. Yes, I was definitely flagged for having multiple attempts on COMLEX level 2 (CE). I was under a lot of stress, and turned to video games for escape. I became addicted. I was not able to concentrate on studying for boards. I know that is not an excuse. Needless to say, I regret it immensely. It seems hopeless at this point.
As someone who has long struggled with maintaining responsible use of electronics, this is a problem you need to address as soon as possible. I've lost so much of my potential to misuse of electronics, but I was fortunately able to correct my trajectory for the most part.

You need to remove video games from your house. You need to block all nonproductive apps and websites on your phone and computer.
You need to limit your electronic use to only what is necessary.
Try to think of electronics as nothing but a tool, like a wrench or a hammer. You don't get addicted to swinging a hammer all day.

Electronics can be just as addicting as any drug. They are often designed to be addicting. It's not your fault.
But it is up to you to correct your habits. Try and get yourself on track while you still can.

Are you able to take the USMLE? I wonder if you can take Step 1 and 2, and report those scores on ERAS rather than your COMLEX scores. However, I'm not sure how this works.

I wish you the best of luck.

Dr. Rafiki

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
May 22, 2016
Land of the mandrills, Equatorial Guinea
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
No offense intended, but I was thinking of DO-friendly specialties.
None taken, but I think that's very bad advice. DR, while being DO friendly, is still very competitive. Like 600/240+ competitive. Telling someone with 5 board failures to shoot for DR is like telling a 5'8 skinny white kid from the suburbs to shoot for the NBA. It ain't happening.

BlueBleck

5+ Year Member
May 12, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Like 600/240+ competitive. Telling someone with 5 board failures to shoot for DR is like telling a 5'8 skinny white kid from the suburbs to shoot for the NBA. It ain't happening.

It's two tiered. University programs are 600/240+, but community programs that operate like sweatshops are decently non-competitive. Charting outcomes shows a 89% match rate (n=18) among 210-220 DO applicants. I'm assuming former AOA programs and a broad application.

Though I mostly agree that it's not great advice, I wouldn't say it's NBA level impossible depending on this guy's numbers, which he hasn't listed.

Reactions: 1 users

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I passed on the second attempt for level 1 (483), I took level 2 (CE) five times (finally passed with 510), and (PE) passed on first attempt, level 3 passed on the first attempt (564)
It's two tiered. University programs are 600/240+, but community programs that operate like sweatshops are decently non-competitive. Charting outcomes shows a 89% match rate (n=18) among 210-220 DO applicants. I'm assuming former AOA programs and a broad application.

Though I mostly agree that it's not great advice, I wouldn't say it's NBA level impossible depending on this guy's numbers, which he hasn't listed.
See quote from OP above

Reactions: 3 users

MusicDOc124

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Oct 27, 2013
I took level 2 (CE) five times

@ciestar beat me to it. Many states limit the number of attempts you can have on any single exam, and some limit the total number of attempts - for instance I know a state that limits total takes for all exams of a given entity (ie. USMLE or COMLEX) of 10 (2 attempts on level 1, +1 for PE, +5 for CE, +1 for level 3 = 9 in this case). I've often seen 6-7 attempts limited to receive a license. 3 is often the number of times a school will allow to still confer a degree. This was the case for where I attended. Your school must not have the same policy.

The link provided by said poster gives all of that info. I'm re-providing it here as well.

Review all of the state requirements and figure out what states you're ineligible for and write them off immediately. One issue potentially may have been where you were applying.

You mentioned you graduated in 2019, and thus 2 cycles of passed since your 4th year now. Did you apply in both? Was it FM in both? Did you get any interviews in either? How many? Where?

samac

5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
just to reiterate you're probably not getting a lot of traction because you can't be licensed in some states. Just at a glance, you will never be able to practice in Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennesse, Texas, Utah, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming (the list isn't all-inclusive, just the obvious ones). Don't apply to programs there, that's a waste of time. Apply to every low tier community family med program in the remaining states.

In the meantime, you need to keep clinical skills as sharp as possible, find a job associated with patient care. If you're up for a different career path you can look at other opportunities like teaching.

Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.