Position Wanted Unmatched, No Visa Needed, Still Looking for PGY1 Psych, Family, IM, Peds, Neuro, OBGYN, Open to Locate Anywhere

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rabo2000

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unmatched IMG with US Green Card, looking for any late openings in PGY1 positions. Numbers don't always tell the complete story: In the last five years, I have single-handedly taken care of my severely ill parents in the Canadian and US systems (myocardial infarction, stroke and renal failure) while balancing my own education and career. Despite working hard to build my US Clinical experience, I seem to be unable to break through the YOG filters in the match process. My relentless efforts have resulted in observerships at Drexel and Columbia as well as a 12-month clinical externship at Brookdale Hospital in New York. Completed several observerships and multiple research projects at Columbia University, Drexel University, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Swedish Medical Center, University of Washington and Seattle Science Foundation. I have personalized and sincere LORs from top notch faculty (available via email or waived unseen via ERAS). Open to locate anywhere.

Highlights:
1. Canadian Citizen, recently became a Green Card holder
2. Currently: Clinical Extern at Brookdale Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
3. Completed mulltiple observerships at Columbia University, New York in 2019 with favorable reviews.
4. Completed an intense six-month hands-on Physician Refresher Program at Drexel University in 2018 with favorable reviews.
5. Completed a one-month observership at Einstein, Philadelphia in October 2018
6. Completed several micro-certifications through Drexel
7. Dow (Karachi, Pakistan), YOG: 2012
8. USMLE Step 1: 205, Step 2 CK: 221, Step 2 CS & Step 3: 208 in June 2018

Areas of Interest: Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
That step score of 205 is super lethal, on top of the fact you are an IMG.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for your reply. I have been battling personal challenges with both my parents falling critically ill at relatively young ages. I have been their sole care provider for the last five years, while I wrote my USMLE exams. The silver lining is, I have been able to find care services for them, so now I am fully focused on my career again. Hence the numbers only tell part of the story. I am hoping someone here can see my "message in a bottle" and give me a chance to prove myself through an interview. I see myself as a confident high quality candidate, who has just been really unlucky. I can't break through the YOG and score filters at programs.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you apply to FM residency with no scores required?

If someone here is a PD or close to the selection process: I would really really appreciate just ONE chance to share my personal story with you before the match season begins. Areas of Interest: Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology.

I'm sorry you are in this position
You seem to be doing everything you can to try to match. Hopefully you match this cycle

Please provide proof (person who made claim). The initial post has been reported.

Unmatched IMG with US Green Card, looking for any late openings in PGY1 positions. Numbers don't always tell the complete story: In the last five years, I have single-handedly taken care of my severely ill parents in the Canadian and US systems (myocardial infarction, stroke and renal failure) while balancing my own education and career. Despite working hard to build my US Clinical experience, I seem to be unable to break through the YOG filters in the match process. My relentless efforts have resulted in observerships at Drexel and Columbia as well as a 12-month clinical externship at Brookdale Hospital in New York. Completed several observerships and multiple research projects at Columbia University, Drexel University, Virginia Mason Medical Center, Swedish Medical Center, University of Washington and Seattle Science Foundation. I have personalized and sincere LORs from top notch faculty (available via email or waived unseen via ERAS). Open to locate anywhere.

Highlights:
1. Canadian Citizen, recently became a Green Card holder
2. Currently: Clinical Extern at Brookdale Hospital, Brooklyn, NY
3. Completed mulltiple observerships at Columbia University, New York in 2019 with favorable reviews.
4. Completed an intense six-month hands-on Physician Refresher Program at Drexel University in 2018 with favorable reviews.
5. Completed a one-month observership at Einstein, Philadelphia in October 2018
6. Completed several micro-certifications through Drexel
7. Dow (Karachi, Pakistan), YOG: 2012
8. USMLE Step 1: 205, Step 2 CK: 221, Step 2 CS & Step 3: 208 in June 2018

Areas of Interest: Psychiatry, Family Medicine, Internal Medicine, Neurology, Pediatrics, Obstetrics/Gynecology.

Did you match this year? seems like you have been really working hard and doing the right things

Happy to report I matched this year to my top choice program in Internal Medicine at a community hospital program. Feeling really really blessed :)

Reactions: 6 users
Please provide proof (person who made claim). The initial post has been reported.
Why the post has been reported? What did he do wrong. Is it illegal to make such request?

Prevention of false information?

Happy to report I matched this year to my top choice program in Internal Medicine at a community hospital program. Feeling really really blessed :)
Congratulations man. I am glad you made it. It is so encouraging to see imgs matching after all this effort. I am in the same position and applying next year my scores is 249 step 1 and 247 step 2, pass all exams first attempt. Graduation date 2010. Did residency back home and current doing research. No need for visa (GC holder).
Could you please share where did you match and what program. I don’t need more details or to reveal your identity but this will help me when I apply next year. Thanks

You need to read. FM residencies without scores?
That was a question someone asked, not a claim and not in the initial post. You claimed to have reported the "initial post" for "false information". It isn't my fault that you meant one thing, but wrote something completely different.

That was a question someone asked, not a claim and not in the initial post. You claimed to have reported the "initial post" for "false information". It isn't my fault that you meant one thing, but wrote something completely different.

And?

Congratulations man. I am glad you made it. It is so encouraging to see imgs matching after all this effort. I am in the same position and applying next year my scores is 249 step 1 and 247 step 2, pass all exams first attempt. Graduation date 2010. Did residency back home and current doing research. No need for visa (GC holder).
Could you please share where did you match and what program. I don’t need more details or to reveal your identity but this will help me when I apply next year. Thanks
I am an older grad, so my situation was a litte unique. I matched into a program in the South East that I had ranked high due to program reputation and a personal relationship I had forged over the years doing research and repeated interviews. However I got very strong interview interest in the NY, PA region. So if your scores are a problem, do look into those areas, especially programs that are farther away from bigger cities - although NYC is one city with a lot of IMG matches due to overwhelming work load.