• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Well theres two Medical schools where I live obviously UNMC and Creighton Medical Center I was wondering which is better to get into. Not only on an academic level but on a student life, and general environment.

pride4jc727

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Well theres two Medical schools where I live obviously UNMC and Creighton Medical Center I was wondering which is better to get into. Not only on an academic level but on a student life, and general environment.

I have no info on UNMC since I didn't apply there, but Creighton was very nice. I liked how the med school was integrated into the University but you didn't have to interact with undergrads since the med school labs are separate from the undergrad labs. I couldn't complain while I was there. Too bad I am on the waitlist and my status won't change until either May, June, or never depending on withdrawals.

nskittles57

10+ Year Member
Dec 25, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I have friends at both schools currently...and what I have heard is as follows:

UNMC: definitely more up and coming as a school. They have the new building and if you are a state resident it will probably be cheaper. I have heard they may have better clinical years, but who really knows they are only about a mile apart so I doubt they are that different...and the current class is 70-30% guys to girls...and there seems to be more gunners who care about rankings and being the best there is.

Creighton: Plugging away doing their thing. Their attitude towards medicine seems to me to be more relaxed. The students I have spoken to says the atmosphere is more relaxed among the students and the staff is friendly. Curriculm-wise they have many classes at a time vs. the one class at UNMC which may be nice.

Personally I chose only to apply to Creighton and it is looking like that is where i am going to end up in the fall (unless I get of a certain waitlist). I like the private jesuit feel of Creighton, it just seems more friendly than a larger public institute...

You can't go wrong with either school. The friends I have at both schools both like their schools and they both produce good docs with the opportunity to get into pretty much whatever residency you want if you work hard...

Good luck in your decision, maybe I will see you in August

About the Ads

metalhead1023

High School Student
10+ Year Member
Apr 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Post Doc
Thanks for the information guys it really helps out, but how long is the waiting list for crieghton?

jlmali84

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
hc.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
i was accepted at both creighton and unmc. having attended both a jesuit high school and a jesuit college, i was complete set on going to creighton. i assumed that a degree from creighton would carry more weight than one from unmc. but since i'm a nebraska resident, i fully investigated unmc (afterall the tuition is half that of creighton).

98% of the doctors i spoke to advised me to go to unmc over creighton; the most prevelant reason being "go whereever its cheaper. the only thing that effects your career in the long run is your residency and both schools provide great opportunities". i asked my cousin who just graduated from creighton last year. he spent a long time thinking about it and finally advised me to choose UNMC over creighton. as biased as i was this endorsement still didn't win me over.

i talked to more and more med students and doctors over the next weeks (i work fulltime in the unmc ER) and slowly i became convinced. unmc has considerably more funds than creighton. they have just finished a brand new medical school building. the nebraska medical center is a transplant center and a far better hospital in comparison to creighton; as such unmc med students are exposed to a much broader range of pathology.

originally i was turned off by the z-score system @ unmc. i thought it would breed a much more competitive environment, resulting in a more stressful 4 years. the students i talked to told me that initially it was hard to get used to, but eventually you realize that the z-score is just a guide showing you how well you are doing relative to everyone else. it has very little bearing on obtaining residency (all that matters is how well you do on the usmle). the guy with the lowest z-score in the class is still called doctor after 4 years.

after hanging out w/ students from both schools, im convinced that the academic and social experience at both schools is for the most part equivollent. unmc will get me where i want to be for half the price. and fyi, i dont intend to practice rural medicine.

orange712

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
i've been accepted to both schools, and need to decide. The thing that worries me about UNMC is the way grading is done...it seems like at Creighton the students are less competitive with others and more competitive with themselves. However, I also think that UNMC may be the better school of the two. It is ranked (well...for primary care), and that is the feeling I have always gotten from being a Nebraska resident. I really like both schools, and don't have anything bad to say about either. Which school do others perceive as the "more prestigious" Nebraska school? Again, I'm not bashing on either school...I too would like any helpful input!

jlmali84

10+ Year Member
Dec 21, 2007
hc.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
most prestigious NE school..

10 years ago Creighton, today UNMC.

orange, im in the same boat as you. i think if you talk to enough people you'll find your way over to UNMC.

spospo

Going to extremes
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2006
The 'kane
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
M1 at creighton here....you can guess which way i'm going to vote. :D i totally love it here. i never feel as if i am competing with my classmates (other than when playing basketball against them). for those of you that interviewed here, that whole friendly feel you get during interview day (at least that is what i got) still holds true in real life. it isn't just a show.

yes, it is more expensive. always something to think about. BUT if you got a bad vibe from a cheaper school (no matter which, not just UNMC) i would advise against going there. you don't want 4 hard years to be made harder because of the environment.

in terms of the types of classes, we have moved into systems based now. the first semester and before spring break we take several classes, but now we are onto body systems.

let's see...what else do i really like. while it may get a little annoying, we are quizzed all the time. it really makes you keep up, which is nice when the actual exams roll around. all our tests/quizzes are on computers and are timed just like step 1. plus, we get our scores the second you hit submit. no waiting for someone to grade it.

sorry, this is getting long. one last thing. outside of the midwest, creighton is a much more recognized name (if you are into that sort of thing). no, that has nothing to do necessarily with how good the schools are, but people "know" the school. if you have any questions i am more than happy to answer them

DocNickRiviera

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Having just recently graduated from Creighton, I may be able to add something to this debate. Doing it so late my not help you guys much, but hell, I'm bored waiting for work to start so why not?

You will be an MD at either school, and as far as how well you do, that is almost entirely dependant on your effort. However, the path to get there can be more or less pleasant. I had a great time at Creighton, and met some fantastic people.

Our class had some of the highest step scores in the school's history, and I heard the class below us did even better. We were told our residency match may have been the best ever for Creighton.

That being said, I've never really heard much to disparage UNMC. We occasionally interacted with their students, and they all seemed very nice as well.

I have over 230k in debt, and it's a lot, but if I had to choose today between the two, or even between Creighton and my own state school, I would choose Creighton in a heartbeat. That's just the way my gut leads me, and I would suggest that all of you go the same route. The money will figure itself out, if you're the kind of person who's very concerned with it, maybe you'll already be gravitating towards UNMC.

As I said, either way once you're done the biggest worry you'll have is getting used to hearing yourself referred to as Doctor. In the meantime, have fun!

Dedikated2liftn

Bodybuilder
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hell, you should definitely choose Creighton...afterall, I'm going to be there. :laugh:

About the Ads
This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.