UNMC SURP in Internal Medicine.... Anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

odgey27

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I was just wondering if anyone on here is going to be at UNMC for the Internal Medicine SURP. I just got the offer and I'm going to take it, but I want to get to know some people before it starts. Anyone here?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've done it the last two summers in the Transplant Surgery department. It's a great program. I didn't attend the afternoon lectures per the advice of my PI (ironically enough - he's one of the individuals in charge of the summer program).

It's a great intro to research and if you play your cards right, you can make quite a few contacts for shadowing. I was able to scrub in on a few organ procurement operations because of my contacts at UNMC. It also definitely helped me to get accepted there as an OOS student (they offered me in-state even though my residence is technically in IL).

Congrats on getting in. I'd definitely encourage others to apply there for next summer.

Awesome, I'm so much more excited now! Do you know anyone who's doing it this summer? Also, where in Illinois are you from? I'm from Davenport, IA... your story makes me feel like it's not so impossible to get accepted out of state (when we only have one med school in IA!) Thanks!!

bump (Anyone else?!?!)

Hey, I got into a similar program at Albert Einstein COM, i think i looked into the UNMC one... I'm just curious if you applied to any other programs and if you've heard anything (positive or negative) about these summer research programs.

I applied to three UNMC positions, and a position at the hospital in my hometown. After I got accepted for the Internal Medicine position at UNMC, I withdrew all of my other applications. I have an aunt that lives in Omaha, so I can live with her for free this summer instead of paying rent back here in Davenport, or living with my parents.:laugh: I know someone that participated in the Pediatrics program at UNMC last year and she loved it. She met lots of "important" people and was offered admission for Fall 2007. Otherwise, I haven't heard a lot. What's your position at Albert Einstein?

yeah, i definitely agree... it'll be better than summer school or anything else i was going to do this summer. the one at aecom is basic sciences research, but there's a little bit of emphasis on clinical research since it's a med school. it sounds like the one at unmc is way more clinical-oriented, which has its advantages (especially when you want to meet "important" doctors).

I want to apply for the pediatrics dept. I see that the deadline was March 15 but the application link is still open. I emailed them but havent gotten a response as of yet. Should I go ahead and apply anyways?

I would think they would stick to their deadline. You could always call and ask.