UNMC --- the clinical years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JS-UNMC

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any UNMC students would be able to help me out in telling me how you would rank UNMC's clinical (3rd and 4th year) education. I have only heard good things thus far, but any info would help. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I like it so far! Surgery was good, esp. plastics (at least for me). Peds is very well organized and the faculty actually care that you learn something. You have to do family practice at a rural location, which was a good experience. That's all I've had so far...

Do you have any say in whom you get to rotate with? In other words, if I really want to do my peds at Childrens Hospital, will the school make sure that I get over there?

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way... who did you do your plastics with?
Do you also have opportunities to do some stuff over at Creighton (Not that everyone wants too, just curious).

You can't do peds at Childrens your 3rd year. For pediatrics, you have to choose either community (rural) or UNMC. Childrens is not an option. Personally, I think you get more diverse exposure to stuff at UNMC, but if you really want to do general peds, then the rural option is not bad. I think you can do a subinternship at Childrens as an M4, but I'm not sure. I believe only Creighton M3s get to do Peds at Childrens. I don't know of any UNMC students going over to St. Joe's for training, but I do know that some Creighton students can come to UNMC for fourth year electives (infectious disease, transplant, etc...) Re: plastics, I did that at UNMC with the two faculty there. Very enjoyable. Excellent surgeons and teachers.

*************, do you know of anyone doing research electives their 3rd or 4th year at UNMC? Are they worth doing? I am looking at competetive residencies for the future and the last research project that I did was a two year project that ended more than two years ago.... not sure how much research I should do. Also, how competetive is the general surg program to get into at UNMC (if you know)?