Unpopular opinion: NYU gets singled out too much for its tuition cost

Jun 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Yep. Every NYU grad will become the next Michael Apa.

Great to aspire to, but completely unrealistic when making future plans.
Like Jack said, a lot of students are not even taking out loans for NYU. We had a big discussion about why they keep getting emails to fill out some loan forms, and it turns out it only appears for students who don’t need loans. Those students will be fine and actually will be better off than you. This Im better than thou mentality is getting ridiculous.

Big Time Hoosier

Man. Myth. Legend.
5+ Year Member
Jan 26, 2015
Murica
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
a lot of students are not even taking out loans for NYU

Those students will be fine and actually will be better off than you.
8A2CEAD7-A32A-4D48-83E2-BEA6B43E8220.gif

I am so happy for these people!

But, for those of us who have to make it on our own in this world, NYU, USC, and all the other ridiculously expensive schools are debt traps that should absolutely be avoided. Maybe you’re okay with dental schools becoming exclusively for the rich and elite?

Big Hoss

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
About the Ads

PerioDont

5+ Year Member
Jun 7, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Like Jack said, a lot of students are not even taking out loans for NYU. We had a big discussion about why they keep getting emails to fill out some loan forms, and it turns out it only appears for students who don’t need loans. Those students will be fine and actually will be better off than you. This Im better than thou mentality is getting ridiculous.
I find these sentences ironic.

this thread is not a personal attack on you. every single person has to live with their decisions and I'm sure you have calculated the risk and cost of your education. What I do hope to do is educate the other pre-dental students who may reading these threads and make sure they understand the risk they are undertaking by taking out this level of debt and that is not specific to NYU. My personal view and that of probably 99% of dentists just like @Big Time Hoosier is that these schools (any that are 400k+) are not worth taking the cost in student loans for the vast majority of students and will lead a person to lifelong servitude simply trying to get out of debt.

I am not commenting on the quality of education as I don't believe that there is much of a difference in most schools, and learning depends on the student not the school. The fact that a certain percentage can afford to pay cash is irrelevant as that is not the discussion here. We are specifically referring to students who are taking out loans for this degree and stating it is not an opportunity worth pursuing for most.

Reactions: 2 users

TanMan

15+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2004
:corny: This is funny to watch. Y'all know my stance on this.

To sum it up, here's a decision tree:
1. Did I get into a cheaper school? (YES - Go there, NO - See 2) Reason: Dental school tuition is admission fee for the not very exclusive club known as dentistry. Of course, there are other factors such as ease of program and are there other things intrinsic to the predoc program that could prevent me from graduating ?
2. If this is the only school you got into, then you need to think of the following:
2a. Do I really want to be a dentist at this cost?
Addendum to 2a: If money doesn't matter because you or your family have lots of it, WTF are you doing dentistry... unless you really love dentistry? Take your money and run. If this is just a means to an end and you have the means already, there's easier ways to make more money when you're starting with lots of money.
2b. If you really want to be a dentist at this cost, there's financial consequences. A higher debt load means less potential to invest more money for long term investments. Unfortunately, a DDS is a DDS, and the school doesn't matter. Now, if this is the only school that took you, then you don't really have much choice in getting in dentistry, and I don't believe wasting a year in non-productivity is any better since that one year of life in your prime is something you'll never get back.
2c. Am I in this for the lifestyle? (YES - You need a plan to make lots of money and get out of the debt trap. If you are just going to be another Generic_Dentist_001 making 120k a year forever, choose another profession that doesn't have relatively high entry costs. NO - How much of your lifestyle are you willing to sacrifice if you're not willing to go beyond mediocre dentist income?)

Now, here's a generic plan:
1. Get into dental school (reduce admission fee as much as possible)
2. Get your degree, get licensed.
3. Defer everything temporarily (prevent drain on cash flows) + work as much as you can to save up money so that you don't have to borrow any money for a year. I'd prefer to get paid as a 1099 so I can avoid withholding and deduct as much equipment/supplies as I can on that 1099. Objective: Build a CHEAP office. Ownership is way more lucrative than associateship. Even if you were making at least 30k/month, that's still going to take forever to save a reasonable amount of money to pay off your loans, get your McMansion/apartment suite, have 2.5 kids, or whatever people are going for these days. Practice ownership gives you the opportunity to get into 100k+ territory (not production, but actual takehome).
4. Practice ownership - ramp up, heavy reinvestment into operations to increase efficiency, make tons of money, payoff loans in a year or so.
5. $$$
6. Make enough money to the point where you can walk away from it all and not give a sh!t, even if you can't sell your practice or hire associates.

Reactions: 4 users
Jun 17, 2020
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I find these sentences ironic.

this thread is not a personal attack on you. every single person has to live with their decisions and I'm sure you have calculated the risk and cost of your education. What I do hope to do is educate the other pre-dental students who may reading these threads and make sure they understand the risk they are undertaking by taking out this level of debt and that is not specific to NYU. My personal view and that of probably 99% of dentists just like @Big Time Hoosier is that these schools (any that are 400k+) are not worth taking the cost in student loans for the vast majority of students and will lead a person to lifelong servitude simply trying to get out of debt.

I am not commenting on the quality of education as I don't believe that there is much of a difference in most schools, and learning depends on the student not the school. The fact that a certain percentage can afford to pay cash is irrelevant as that is not the discussion here. We are specifically referring to students who are taking out loans for this degree and stating it is not an opportunity worth pursuing for most.
Like I have been saying for almost every post. I agree with that. I have literally added to every post, don't go to NYU if it doesn't make financial sense. However, for me, it wasn't as bad as you're all making it sound because for ME, the calculations work out. Like I said, even going to a state school like Buffalo would have ran me over 400k. Even for students coming from OOS, buffalo would cost close to 450 due to OOS tuition for 1st year, even if they take IS tuition for the subsequent years. The point of this thread is to usher the idea that there are TONS of misconceptions on NYU and that ya'll place an unfair emphasis on it.

Also, you say that you are just trying to educate other pre-dent students. That is fine with me, like I said, don't go to NYU if it costs you over 500k, However, your words "every student from NYU grad is unrealistic future financial planner" or whatever it is you said in a prior post does exactly opposite of what you are trying to achieve: educate. It is perpetuating a myth that just because you go to NYU under any circumstance, you are financially irresponsible. While it may not be an attack, it is insulting and doing everything that you are intending to prevent.

Reactions: 1 user
About the Ads

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.