Unpopular opinion: NYU gets singled out too much for its tuition cost

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I find these sentences ironic.

this thread is not a personal attack on you. every single person has to live with their decisions and I'm sure you have calculated the risk and cost of your education. What I do hope to do is educate the other pre-dental students who may reading these threads and make sure they understand the risk they are undertaking by taking out this level of debt and that is not specific to NYU. My personal view and that of probably 99% of dentists just like @Big Time Hoosier is that these schools (any that are 400k+) are not worth taking the cost in student loans for the vast majority of students and will lead a person to lifelong servitude simply trying to get out of debt.

I am not commenting on the quality of education as I don't believe that there is much of a difference in most schools, and learning depends on the student not the school. The fact that a certain percentage can afford to pay cash is irrelevant as that is not the discussion here. We are specifically referring to students who are taking out loans for this degree and stating it is not an opportunity worth pursuing for most.
Like I have been saying for almost every post. I agree with that. I have literally added to every post, don't go to NYU if it doesn't make financial sense. However, for me, it wasn't as bad as you're all making it sound because for ME, the calculations work out. Like I said, even going to a state school like Buffalo would have ran me over 400k. Even for students coming from OOS, buffalo would cost close to 450 due to OOS tuition for 1st year, even if they take IS tuition for the subsequent years. The point of this thread is to usher the idea that there are TONS of misconceptions on NYU and that ya'll place an unfair emphasis on it.

Also, you say that you are just trying to educate other pre-dent students. That is fine with me, like I said, don't go to NYU if it costs you over 500k, However, your words "every student from NYU grad is unrealistic future financial planner" or whatever it is you said in a prior post does exactly opposite of what you are trying to achieve: educate. It is perpetuating a myth that just because you go to NYU under any circumstance, you are financially irresponsible. While it may not be an attack, it is insulting and doing everything that you are intending to prevent.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user