10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 18, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
This is why colleges look down on community college pre-req credit.

Hahaha, just kidding. Try contacting the dean of biological sciences or maybe the student relations office. Your class sounds like a joke but it beats the hell out of sitting in a huge lecture hall with 400 people for an hour and a half droning out about how awesome his area of interest is. Good luck.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status
Medical Student
It is a college class, but feels much like a high school class in the way everything is dumbed down. Thanks for the advice, appreciate it.
You can always be mean too and make her look silly by knowing more biology than her :D

I've actually had one class where a person in class tried to get up and correct the professor in mid lecture on the black board. Just do be like that, cuz everyone thought that guy was an ***.

Jolie South

is invoking Domo. . .
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
Status
Resident [Any Field]
do people in your class feel the same way?

if she's just doing these borderline kinda deals, it might be best to wait till the end of the semester and approach the administration at that point if you really feel it is necessary. you wouldn't want a complaint to backfire and affect your grade. if it was me, i'd just do my best to make it through. if your class has course evaluations, i'm sure a lot of this stuff will come out as well.

if you felt like she really crossed the line, then maybe sooner is better than later to
approach an advisor or administration.

however, it sounds to me like a lot of her behavior might just be misinterpreted, which goes back to the question of if your classmates have the same issues with her.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
Er, it sounds like you're the one with the problem, not her.

You reference her age (irrelevant), her lack of a PhD (largely irrelevant for an undergrad low-level class), etc. You probably went into this class with preconceived opinions about how bad she was going to be, and it sounds like you're looking for excuses for your poor performance. Her age and qualifications have nothing to do with why you're not succeeding.

I bet you're a foreign student. If so, that would explain a lot. For example:

during my presentation (on a very abuse and horrible illegal drug) she accused me of condoning the drug and said I was trying to encourage its use. I have no idea how she got this idea, the title of my pres was called "Meth the worst drug in the world". I told her that I volunteered for many summers in Appalachia and saw its impact first hand. She then repeatedly interrupted me during my pres and asked questions like: why would you want to volunteer in Appalachia?
To a foreign student (and I guess you are, since the title to your presentation reads like something a seven year old would write), it might sound like the professor was being rude and insensitive. To me, it sounds like:

- she was testing and questioning your understanding of the material by asking you to argue that you weren't condoning the use of the drug. One sign of a good professor is one who makes the student think and demonstrate their grasp of the material.
- she was asking you to explain why you went to volunteer in Appalachia. She was interested in your experiences. She wasn't insulting you.

I think you're confusing an interactive teaching experience with whatever "sit still and shut up" teaching style you are used to in your home country.

Bad professors (not that I think this woman is one - I think you're looking for excuses and not giving us the whole story) are a fact of life. Most normal students suck it up, keep a low profile in class, then learn the material from the book on their own. You should try this too. It's called "taking responsibility for your own education and success."

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status
Medical Student
Er, it sounds like you're the one with the problem, not her.

You reference her age (irrelevant), her lack of a PhD (largely irrelevant for an undergrad low-level class), etc. You probably went into this class with preconceived opinions about how bad she was going to be, and it sounds like you're looking for excuses for your poor performance. Her age and qualifications have nothing to do with why you're not succeeding.

I bet you're a foreign student. If so, that would explain a lot. For example:

To a foreign student (and I guess you are, since the title to your presentation reads like something a seven year old would write), it might sound like the professor was being rude and insensitive. To me, it sounds like:

- she was testing and questioning your understanding of the material by asking you to argue that you weren't condoning the use of the drug. One sign of a good professor is one who makes the student think and demonstrate their grasp of the material.
- she was asking you to explain why you went to volunteer in Appalachia. She was interested in your experiences. She wasn't insulting you.

I think you're confusing an interactive teaching experience with whatever "sit still and shut up" teaching style you are used to in your home country.

Bad professors (not that I think this woman is one - I think you're looking for excuses and not giving us the whole story) are a fact of life. Most normal students suck it up, keep a low profile in class, then learn the material from the book on their own. You should try this too. It's called "taking responsibility for your own education and success."

I smell a pre-psyc doc... :D

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Need help w/ a teacher I am having some problems with. To start out she teaches a BIO class. She young (about 30). She is not a PHD and has no teaching background. During this semester she has:

-repeatedly asked me and other students about extremely person questions in front of the entire class (how your mom/dad died of cancer ect). Moreover, she asks prying and personal question on the spot; people get scared and just kinda answer them..

-during my presentation (on a very abuse and horrible illegal drug) she accused me of condoning the drug and said I was trying to encourage its use. I have no idea how she got this idea, the title of my pres was called "Meth the worst drug in the world". I told her that I volunteered for many summers in Appalachia and saw its impact first hand. She then repeatedly interrupted me during my pres and asked questions like: why would you want to volunteer in Appalachia? Then during the rest of my pres she just packed up her purse and put her head down, not paying attention to anything I said

-during my pres, I had to open up my email to get me pres b/c the flash drive was not working, when I opened up my email she read some of the email titles out loud, and some of them were extremely personal

-lastly, she does not know much about BIO, she doesn't seem to appreciate certain simple bio concepts like how an enzyme is made up of proteins, and she repeatedly teaches material that is incorrect and not scientifically based

-oh yea I almost forget, she flirts with guys during class, it is really awkward...

I want to talk to someone about how unprofessional she is, but I wanted to know if you guys thought I was over reacting. If I should talk to someone who should it be?
Her age, degree, and teaching experience (everyone starts out with having no experience) are meaningless

She can ask whatever she wants.... its your personal choice whether to answer or not. My profs ask these sorts of questions sometimes, if a person wants to give their story, then they will. Others don't want to say anything, and they don't. No one is putting a gun to your head forcing you to answer...

As far as your presentation goes, she's probably trying to just facilitate a discussion and have your back up your points and claims. Sure your title may be "Meth is the worst drug etc..." but you can't just state this and have people automattically believe you. You have to explain why its the worst drug, etc.... For the whole Appalachia thing, she probably wants you to explain your experiences and tie them into your presentation.

If you open up your email in front of a class, expect people to read it... if you care about this, turn of the projector

I highly doubt she knows nothing about bio.... this is usually what people say about their professor when they are struggling themselves

I have a feeling your just exaggerating this flirting thing...

I don't really see anything too unprofessional about this whole thing.... don't blame the professor for your own failures as a student

1956Goldtop

10+ Year Member
Jan 11, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Actually, I'd have to disagree. It seems highly unprofessional to call students out during class and expect them to share very personal experiences. Yea no one has a gun to their head, but you are still putting them on the spotlight. It is one thing if the student volunteers the information on their own, or if the teacher asks them about it privately, but something completely else when she puts a student on the spot.

DoctorDreamer

In a far away land...
10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Never-Never-Land
Status
Medical Student
I think there is a chance the OP is just insecure and projecting his uncomfortableness on the teacher. BUT, if the teacher actually is doing what she's doing, she's being incredibly unprofessional, and something should be done about it.

I'd ask around in class. If numerous students are feeling the same way, you guys should do something. If it turns out to be just you, get over it.

TheRealMD

"The Mac Guy"
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 23, 2007
Houston, Texas
Status
Medical Student
Asking how your parents died from cancer is a little shady...

doomknight

Bing
10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
is she cute? if so at least you can stare at her during class, better than some 300 person lecture hall with a guy speaking really fast w/ alot of accent

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
For those of you who think I am trying to take out my failures as a student are incorrect, I have an A in the class.
So what's the problem? You are there as a student, not as a professional professor evaluator. Get over it.

NO I am not foreign to who ever said that.
Well, your command of the English language is awful! "Meth the worst drug in the world" sounds like the worst presentation ever. I would give you an F based solely on what I've seen of your work so far.

I'm sorry, but your initial post had me asking more questions about you as a student rather than her as a professor. I don't believe for one second that you're telling us the whole story. I don't believe for one second that you're not misinterpreting her motives. And I don't believe for one second that you're properly representing the interactions you've had with her so far.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
HAHAHA How are a teachers age, teaching experiences and degree meaningless???? I know I would not want a political science professor teaching a bio course, and I certiantly would not want a 22 year old TA teaching a Biochemsitry course.
Another stupid post!

The teacher's age is meaningless because she's 30 and probably has been studying biology for the past 15 years. You're in some introductory biology course. She knows more than you. She'd know more than you even if she was 22.

Her degree is meaningless because she has a masters degree in biology. No self-respecting college would allow a poli sci professor to teach biology - if that was found out, it would jeopardize the school's accreditation and reputation. As long as she understands the basic material she's teaching you (which I can assure you she does since she has a graduate degree in the subject), she's good enough for your purposes.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
To start out she teaches a BIO class. She young (about 30). She is not a PHD and has no teaching background.
Hey...its me. No wait, okay its not. But I (1) teach bio, (2) am young (about 30) and (3) don't have a PhD.

When you start out the rant like that you are clearly showing a bias against her already. Bringing up her age and degree level (for a intro bio course) as a negative is showing that you already have a prejudice against her before beginning.

Talk to the other students in your class. As previous posters stated, you may be completely blowing this out of proportion. One lone student complaining about a professor is going to get ignored by the department. The higher up faculty are (almost) always going to side with one of their own when it is a he said/she said kind of thing. So if you are the only one - just suck it up and deal. Don't take a class from her again if you don't like her teaching style.

However, if a group of students all go and complain, that is something that would cause a dept. chair to take notice. Find out if other students agree with you. If they don't, you are probably taking way too much out of context. If they do, then you may well have a case against her. Go to her supervisor (in some cases it is a senior faculty member, other cases it may be the chair of the dept.) and state your case. Be sure to give solid examples that can be verified. "Packing up her purse" is not a valid complaint, but "teaching incorrect information" is. Do you have lecture recordings or powerpoints with incorrect info? That would be something you could take to the dept.

bioteach

MSIV
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 9, 2007
Status
Medical Student
She does not have a masters in bio.
What degree does she have? I have never heard of ANYONE teaching biology at a community college or higher without a master's degree or other advanced degree. I have taught at a number of schools and they ALL require at least a master's to apply. What type of college do you go to?

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
HAHAHA How are a teachers age, teaching experiences and degree meaningless???? I know I would not want a political science professor teaching a bio course, and I certiantly would not want a 22 year old TA teaching a Biochemsitry course.
She's 30... That seems old enough. In this situation, her age is meaningless, I fail to see why you brought it up...

I'm sure she has some sort of qualifying degree. Nevertheless, you certainly don't need to have a PhD in biololgy to teach a basic intro bio class.

I have a feeling you're the problem here, not your "young", "inexperienced", "flirtatious" bio teacher

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
your "young", "inexperienced", "flirtatious" bio teacher
I think that's the dream teacher for most guys in college. Perhaps the OP could add "hot", "scantily-dressed" and "dirty" to her list of so-called bad qualities?

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
I think that's the dream teacher for most guys in college. Perhaps the OP could add "hot", "scantily-dressed" and "dirty" to her list of so-called bad qualities?
Haha, seriously. I would love to have a young, hot professor instead of some old, balding, fat guy. I'm sure the guys in her class have no problem with her

Wylde

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 23, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
Who cares if the OP showed bias by using her age and education against her, everyone is a little bias.

But things like:

Asking personal questions
Reading e-mail titles
etc.

Are completely unacceptable imo.

Danbo1957

10+ Year Member
Feb 18, 2008
Austin, Texas
Status
Attending Physician
Take your A and move on. Really. And, you can learn from this and remember to use Adds & Drops next time you get such an instructor.

EpiPEN

Aegis of Immortality
10+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2008
La Jolla
Status
Medical Student
Well, your command of the English language is awful! "Meth the worst drug in the world" sounds like the worst presentation ever. I would give you an F based solely on what I've seen of your work so far.
eesh, thank god you aren't my professor. Talk about judging a book by its cover. I sorted agreed with what you said about the OP before you started making the same illogical assumptions that he might be making.

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
eesh, thank god you aren't my professor. Talk about judging a book by its cover. I sorted agreed with what you said about the OP before you started making the same illogical assumptions that he might be making.
Yeah, you wouldn't want a professor who cared about stuff like spelling, grammar and even writing a title that makes sense.

Oh look. I found a copy of the presentation on my desk.

iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Yeah, you wouldn't want a professor who cared about stuff like spelling, grammar and even writing a title that makes sense.

:laugh:

MDHopeful08

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2007
neverland
Status
Pre-Medical
Need help w/ a teacher I am having some problems with. To start out she teaches a BIO class. She young (about 30). She is not a PHD and has no teaching background. During this semester she has:

-repeatedly asked me and other students about extremely person questions in front of the entire class (how your mom/dad died of cancer ect). Moreover, she asks prying and personal question on the spot; people get scared and just kinda answer them..

-during my presentation (on a very abuse and horrible illegal drug) she accused me of condoning the drug and said I was trying to encourage its use. I have no idea how she got this idea, the title of my pres was called "Meth the worst drug in the world". I told her that I volunteered for many summers in Appalachia and saw its impact first hand. She then repeatedly interrupted me during my pres and asked questions like: why would you want to volunteer in Appalachia? Then during the rest of my pres she just packed up her purse and put her head down, not paying attention to anything I said

-during my pres, I had to open up my email to get me pres b/c the flash drive was not working, when I opened up my email she read some of the email titles out loud, and some of them were extremely personal

-lastly, she does not know much about BIO, she doesn't seem to appreciate certain simple bio concepts like how an enzyme is made up of proteins, and she repeatedly teaches material that is incorrect and not scientifically based

-oh yea I almost forget, she flirts with guys during class, it is really awkward...

I want to talk to someone about how unprofessional she is, but I wanted to know if you guys thought I was over reacting. If I should talk to someone who should it be?

How can any of you guys say that its the OP's fault? At the University I go to, its illegal (against the univ. code of conduct) for any professor to refer to a student by name in class, let alone call them out on personal topics that are not their business. They won't even let you pick up your assignments from a pile, the prof MUST hand you back your own paper personally, b/c god forbid you see someone else's grade (strict privacy policies). Plus putting her head down during the rest of the presentation...what is this prof, like 3 years old? Totally immature in my opinion. I open up my emails during my presentations all the time, no one reads it out loud.

To the OP, just get your A and get out, chances are this weird a** prof won't be around for very long. :thumbup:

butiwuvu

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Apr 17, 2008
Status
How can any of you guys say that its the OP's fault? At the University I go to, its illegal (against the univ. code of conduct) for any professor to refer to a student by name in class, let alone call them out on personal topics that are not their business. They won't even let you pick up your assignments from a pile, the prof MUST hand you back your own paper personally, b/c god forbid you see someone else's grade (strict privacy policies). Plus putting her head down during the rest of the presentation...what is this prof, like 3 years old? Totally immature in my opinion. I open up my emails during my presentations all the time, no one reads it out loud.

To the OP, just get your A and get out, chances are this weird a** prof won't be around for very long. :thumbup:
You're absolutely correct. If everything the OP is telling you is true. Which it almost certainly isn't. Crazy students are plentiful. Crazy professors aren't. I think we're dealing with the former rather than the latter.

xrevision

Senior Procrastinator
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 12, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

That sucks, I go to a small liberal arts school and all of my profs know me by name. Anyways back to the OP, is she a graduate student? Or is she just teaching the class with a BS? If your university/college allows that, then why in the world are you paying 9 grand/semester to go there? Are you sure you're not at a cc?

[pj]

10+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2006
Status
Medical Student
This is hilarious. Everyone knows that posts in a different font are (usually) crazy!

crazy4clana

10+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2007
Status
Pre-Dental
You should contact the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences or whoever is the head of the department. Especially if she is new, she will be heavily critiqued. Lots of schools have no tolerance of this type of behavior and for sure it will be kept confidential!

Just because you guys don't believe it, you don't think what the OP says is true? That's sad, is this how you will treat your future patients? You'll think their crazy if they have strange symptoms/conditions?

SaveThisLabRat

$700 Billion Dollar Woman
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
California *\o/*
Status
Pre-Pharmacy

-dead- lol!

Zakaqel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
I wish I was in your class...

SaveThisLabRat

$700 Billion Dollar Woman
10+ Year Member
Mar 27, 2007
California *\o/*
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
I have met a few "unprofessional" teachers. They were male, though. One in particular was this extremely old man who "taught" human psychology. By taught I mean ramble on about how good butt sex is with your girlfriend. People would pay him for grades - buy him gift cards, porn, liquor. At the end of the semester his office was filled with crap.

Personally? I just went with the flow. He would make sexually suggestive comments towards me. I had my gifts in hand at the end of the semester. Got my A. Many people had complained about him, but he was tenured, so they bothered to do nothing.

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2007
Status
You should contact the Dean of College of Arts and Sciences or whoever is the head of the department. Especially if she is new, she will be heavily critiqued. Lots of schools have no tolerance of this type of behavior and for sure it will be kept confidential!

Just because you guys don't believe it, you don't think what the OP says is true? That's sad, is this how you will treat your future patients? You'll think their crazy if they have strange symptoms/conditions?
gotta love the "you guys will make horrible doctors..." argument.

Zakaqel

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
I have met a few "unprofessional" teachers. They were male, though. One in particular was this extremely old man who "taught" human psychology. By taught I mean ramble on about how good butt sex is with your girlfriend. People would pay him for grades - buy him gift cards, porn, liquor. At the end of the semester his office was filled with crap.

Personally? I just went with the flow. He would make sexually suggestive comments towards me. I had my gifts in hand at the end of the semester. Got my A. Many people had complained about him, but he was tenured, so they bothered to do nothing.

Wow! I want to be just like him(when I grow up)....

digitlnoize

Rock God
10+ Year Member
Feb 21, 2007
Status
Fellow [Any Field]

One of my professors this semester spanked a female student in his office a few years ago. She pressed criminal charges and he got convicted of assault and spent a day in jail with a year suspended. He's still teaching and is the worst teacher I have ever had. Ever. But, he's been published in Science (once, 30 years ago) and has a PhD. Does this make him a good teacher?

On the other hand, one of the best teachers at my school only has her Master's in Biology and is relatively young. She an excellent teacher.

Age and Degree Level (BS, MS, PHD) has little to do with the quality of the teacher.

paranoid_eyes

10+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
it seems rather sad that people on sdn are actually BLAMING the OP. The professor is a dick, and thank god ive never experienced anything close to that kind of behavior.

1) yes it is relevant that she has no PhD
2) her flirting with guys (although i wouldn't mind if she's hot) is unacceptable
3) asking about how someone's parents died of cancer...IN FRONT OF THE CLASS...that is disgusting...

OP: if i were you, I would take a recorder into class a couple times, get a petition going (outside of class) and send this idiot "professor" to your university's administration.