Unprofessional teacher

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
gotta love the "you guys will make horrible doctors..." argument.

It's true. I don't know if people have a facade when they post online but from what I have seen A LOT of SND posters respond to others in rude and belittling ways which is not necessary. Maybe they are bitter because their grades/MCAT suck or they got rejected, I don't know. As if they have any authority for being a pre-med. :laugh: Some of the dumbest people in my school are pre-med and think they will be surgeons because they like Grey's Anatomy. It means nothing.

Members don't see this ad.

You're absolutely correct. If everything the OP is telling you is true. Which it almost certainly isn't. Crazy students are plentiful. Crazy professors aren't. I think we're dealing with the former rather than the latter.

Why bring up crazy students and crazy professors? OP was asking about an unprofessional professor. I could definitely see a relatively young and inexperienced teacher ignorantly asking personal questions. If that were the case, she would be unprofessional.

Regardless of whether the professor is professional or not, don't know why you're so harsh to the OP.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Why bring up crazy students and crazy professors? OP was asking about an unprofessional professor. I could definitely see a relatively young and inexperienced teacher ignorantly asking personal questions. If that were the case, she would be unprofessional.

Regardless of whether the professor is professional or not, don't know why you're so harsh to the OP.

Because the OP's post is damn similar to the rantings of "crazy student who thinks everyone is out to get him". It's nuts.

I'm sorry, but the OP is clearly pissed that he has a teacher with - gasp - no PhD. He is mad that she's "young". He went into that class thinking she was going to be useless, and he's extrapolating everything she does into the realm of craziness.

I'm just not buying it, that's all.

If anything, the younger professors are the more restrained in class. They aren't tenured and they didn't grow up in an age where the behavior the OP describes was acceptable. 99.9% of younger professors are desperate for tenure, and they don't ruin their careers by acting like the OP claims.

(Plus the OP - not to be rude, but it's kinda obvious - isn't the smartest person to grace these boards. It wouldn't surprise me if he was completely misinterpreting the teacher's actions.)

it seems rather sad that people on sdn are actually BLAMING the OP.

No. Just suggesting that he's not interpreting the situation properly.

The professor is a dick

No. The OP says the professor is a dick. Common sense says that we should take the OP's crazy talk with a pinch of salt.

1) yes it is relevant that she has no PhD

Please explain.

2) her flirting with guys (although i wouldn't mind if she's hot) is unacceptable
Not just unacceptable, but just a ridiculous claim. No female professor has ever flirted with male students in class. Ever. In private, perhaps. But the OP's claim is just ridiculous.

3) asking about how someone's parents died of cancer...IN FRONT OF THE CLASS...that is disgusting...

I'm not sure the OP is relaying the line of questioning correctly.

OP: if i were you, I would take a recorder into class a couple times, get a petition going (outside of class) and send this idiot "professor" to your university's administration.[/quote]

No. Just suggesting that he's not interpreting the situation properly.

No. The OP says the professor is a dick. Common sense says that we should take the OP's crazy talk with a pinch of salt.

Please explain.

Not just unacceptable, but just a ridiculous claim. No female professor has ever flirted with male students in class. Ever. In private, perhaps. But the OP's claim is just ridiculous.

I'm not sure the OP is relaying the line of questioning correctly.

OP: if i were you, I would take a recorder into class a couple times, get a petition going (outside of class) and send this idiot "professor" to your university's administration.
[/quote]

wow....you're taking all this so personally. Are you SURE you're not that prof the OP complained about?

wow....you're taking all this so personally. Are you SURE you're not that prof the OP complained about?

Just calling it like I see it, that's all. Sometimes, the stupidity half the premeds here makes me wonder if the next generation of doctors will even have eyes that point in the same direction.

How come no one has aked how did the Prof. know that a student's parent died of cancer? Is she psychic? The student must have mentioned it. Not that I condone her asking that type of question.

It's hard to make this call since none of us posters are actually in your class to decide for ourselves. To a certain extent, professionalism is subjective. Also if she really is blatantly crass, she's probably totally unaware of how she is acting.

She may feel she has a good relationship with your class and therefore everyone would feel comfortable sharing their personal info like cancer. She may have been trying to be funny (in an awkward way) by reading your email subjects. She probably thinks she is being friendly to the guys, but you may deem it flirting.

All of this is speculation on my part, but if you really feel uncomfortable in the class, then why not just talk to her? She probably hasn't even thought twice about her behavior.

That's my 2 cents.