Unqualified medical school students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eheh.............

Members don't see this ad.

I think the majority of you guys are just bashing Dumpy for no good reason.

Think about it, MOST people with good stats are probably going to have "good life experiences" too - clinical and research experience, maybe experiencing and overcoming hardship too.

And not ALL people with good stats are total jerks. I think it's unfair to make this generalization since there are just as many people who don't do as well that are jerks. You just don't notice them because they are dumber than you so you don't really care. But naturally everyone will notice if someone is doing better and boasting about it (I know I do!).

It's also unfair to generalize that MOST people with moderate to low stats that get in are "GREAT" people. They could have gotten in because of Affirmative Action, Legacy, etc... There's a reason why they ask you if you're a URM or why the entire secondary consists of "Is your family faculty? Alumn? Etc..." So these people get in simply because daddy went there, or because of skin color - while a better applicant got rejected simply because he had no legacy or because he was of the "wrong race."

I think I have a somewhat decent remedy for the whole unqualified students getting through med school dilemma. They should raise the score for what's considered passing on the boards. I believe the average step 1 score is normally around 215 with a standard deviation of 20. Right now the minimum passing score is 182. There is no way that people getting more than 1.5 standard deviations below average should be passing. The boards might not be a great indicator of how effective a doctor you'll be but they definitely do test your knowledge of medicine. I know I wouldn't want a doctor who couldn't get at least a 200 on step 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. N said:
No I think Dumpy is right. Do you want to be treated by the doctor with 3.1 GPA? :scared:

I am going to get self-fullfilling as an example of how lower end scores may not always dictate future performance. I had a 3.1 undergrad GPA, but scored in the 95th percentile on the USMLE and have done well in courses. Certainly hope to be a good doctor.

I believe admissions committees are doing a decent job in selecting out a few people who might have lower end undergrad scores. :rolleyes:

I just have to say that I love the fact that Fumoffu's karma has dropped exponentially since he posted his agreement with me. All of you anonymous little positivity ****** must be quivering with joy.

You assume too much. To become a doctor a person needs to graduate from a med school, not just get in. Also, I recommend you leave the admissions criteria for those who know better than you.

Conquistador said:
You assume too much. To become a doctor a person needs to graduate from a med school, not just get in. Also, I recommend you leave the admissions criteria for those who know better than you.

Take your own advice then.