Unsure about future plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DuckterDuck

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm a bit concerned about my lack of ECs and I was hoping to get some advice on my application.

I'm a senior in college right now with plans to apply this upcoming cycle and while I have a pretty solid GPA and MCAT (3.9 and 521), I'm worried that my lack of shadowing due to Covid-19 along with my fairly weak extracurriculars might be a red flag on my application. I have about 600 hours doing research with no pubs, 300 hours volunteered in a hospital with patient interaction, and 200 hours volunteered in a soup kitchen. I have a job working in a private doctor's office starting after graduation, but my clinical hours by the start of the next cycle is fairly low. I also haven't been able to find shadowing and I may have to eventually look for virtual shadowing programs.

What are your thoughts on my application? Should I try to apply this upcoming cycle or just not bother? Also, how important is shadowing and can I get away with virtual shadowing hours?

Members don't see this ad.

All applying is a crap-shoot regardless of stats. With yours, you will get in somewhere barring red flags. Everyone gets that it's been a pandemic and clinical/volunteer opportunities have been challenging to come by. Keep pursuing them because having more to update adcoms with will be useful. That said, no reason not to apply. Plenty will submit worse applications and use the same excuse.

Stats are important but you need to show LONG TERM commitments through ECs............................Also, start racking those virtual shadowing hours NOW. I've been slacking but got about 40+ hours from virtual alone. There are a few websites currently running since mid-2020 and it will surely show the admins your continued interests in medicine even in the worst of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
While the lack of shadowing will hurt you, it does look like your stats and the rest of your app will make you a very competitive applicant.

Reactions: 1 user
I suspect that is enough to receive multiple interview invites with a well written personal statement and secondary essays. I would make sure to apply to a spectrum of schools with plenty of mid-tier and lower-tier backups including all your state schools and low yield schools. Don’t apply anywhere you wouldn’t attend if it was your only acceptance though.

Maybe try to start the clinical job before you graduate to get a few more hours in. Probably be good with just 40 hours shadowing if you can get started on that soon.

Hi guys, I'm a bit concerned about my lack of ECs and I was hoping to get some advice on my application.

I'm a senior in college right now with plans to apply this upcoming cycle and while I have a pretty solid GPA and MCAT (3.9 and 521), I'm worried that my lack of shadowing due to Covid-19 along with my fairly weak extracurriculars might be a red flag on my application. I have about 600 hours doing research with no pubs, 300 hours volunteered in a hospital with patient interaction, and 200 hours volunteered in a soup kitchen. I have a job working in a private doctor's office starting after graduation, but my clinical hours by the start of the next cycle is fairly low. I also haven't been able to find shadowing and I may have to eventually look for virtual shadowing programs.

What are your thoughts on my application? Should I try to apply this upcoming cycle or just not bother? Also, how important is shadowing and can I get away with virtual shadowing hours?
Apply realistically, but if you think you're ready, apply. I think it's gong to be the insight you bring to the hours and your reflections on those experience that will make the difference. Yes apply to a range of schools. Let anyone that asks what you'll be doing next year know that you'll be working in a physician's office.

In short, go for it.

Reactions: 1 user