Unsure about how competitive I am for schools outside Virginia (GPA: 3.98, sGPA 3.96/511 full length)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studytrain

Reaction score
Major: Health Sciences
  • cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS
    • cGPA: 3.98
    • sGPA: 3.96
  • MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    • Last full length (FL1) - 511 (127/128/127/129) with one month left to study
  • State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    • Virginia
  • Ethnicity and/or race
    • White male
  • Undergraduate institution or category
    • James Madison University
  • Clinical experience (non-volunteer)
    • Gastroenterology medical assistant - 300 hours
    • Emergency department scribe - 250 hours
  • Research experience and productivity
    • Investigated education under JMU’s HHMI grant to study inclusive teaching practices and their relationship to social belonging and self-identified generalized anxiety disorder. This is in hopes of bridging the gaps in educations among URM. 2 poster presentations and one presentation that was canceled due to COVID.
  • Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    • 30 hours in gastroenterology (office and hospital)
  • Non-clinical volunteering
    • Food pantry for underserved individuals in my hometown - 300 hours
    • Safe Rides program that aids in students getting home safely on weekends - 90 hours
  • Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    • Was a teaching assistant for Organic Chemistry that held 2 lectures per week - 120 hours
    • Peer tutor for General Chemistry - 30 hours
  • Relevant honors or awards
    • Asked to carry in the banner for the college of behavioral sciences at our graduation (not sure if this is relevant)
  • LOR
    • Should be good

Current list of schools I am applying to:
1. Georgetown
2. VCU
3. EVMS
4. VCOM
5. George Washington University
6. Temple
7. UVA (stretch)
8. MUSC
9. University of Maryland (stretch)

Note: This do not include the hours that I intend to complete ~100 hours of shadowing and 1000+ hours of paid clinical work.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: