Unsure about Verbal Scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schadenfreude

T or F: You can get mono from riding the monorail.
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm scheduled to take the MCAT tomorrow (Oct 25). I've taken all the AAMC FLs. On the earlier ones, I was consistently scoring a 9 for VR, but on 9-11, I got 8 for all three. My goal initially was a 10, but at this stage, I would happy with a 9.

My worry is that, with an 8 in the practice VRs, I feel that I am cutting it close in terms of potentially having to retake the exam, especially if I end up with a lower VR score. Although I am not entirely sure, I have heard on here that a subscore of 7 means a retake and an 8 would be iffy.

What do you guys think would be the best thing to do? Give it my all and hope for the best or void and retake after significantly practicing more verbal?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on how you actually do. If you go into the real test and like do worse than you usually do (e.g., if you never panic and run out of time but do so on the real thing), then consider voiding.

It depends on how you actually do. If you go into the real test and like do worse than you usually do (e.g., if you never panic and run out of time but do so on the real thing), then consider voiding.

Yeah, I agree with this. The best thing you can do is not panic. When I first took the MCAT, I was averaging 10's on the AAMC's. But on the real thing, I was so shaken by the a difficult PS section that my concentration during the Verbal section really took a hit (the headache and hunger that came from having a test that was delayed by two hours didn't help). I ended up with an eight, but my PS scores were bad enough that my score really tanked. The thing about Verbal is that it's the one that can most easily fluctuate based on how you're feeling at the time, so if you can really steel yourself and stay calm during your Verbal, I'd like to think you'll be alright.

Also, even though I've studied a lot more this time around, I wouldn't say my Verbal skills have gotten any better. I think you should try to be confident and give it your all!