Unsure if I should use my Committee Letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themightyquinn

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got an email this morning that I would be getting the 2nd highest recommendation "Strongly Recommend" for my committee letter, with the decision to not give the highest recommendation based upon my lack of credit heavy semesters. I'm a non-trad, and for various reasons (running my own business, 2-hr round trip commute to school) it was difficult to take more than 2-3 courses a semester. The committee acknowledged this in their email, but still decided they couldn't give their highest recommendation without my having taken multiple 14+ credit hour semesters during my time there. Which is fine, I understand and expected that I would have to address it during the application process. Otherwise they were very glowing in the interviews and I'm sure in the LOR.

My bachelor's was almost 20 years ago, so getting non-science LOR from that era is nigh on impossible, and I know when available the pre-med committee letter is considered more valuable than individual LOR -- which is why I decided to go that route, however I'm reconsidering now.

I realize few have a window into the world of adcoms, but given that as a non-trad student a committee letter wouldn't necessarily be expected, if two glowing science LORs and perhaps "real-world" LOR might trump a "strongly recommend" from the pre-med committee.

TL;DR I'm old with a lot of things working against me (and a good many things working for me) in applying, tell me a 4/5 from my pre-med committee is nothing to worry about. Also, will the committee address the reasoning in their letter and if not should I perhaps ask them to. While my lack of grueling semesters is a negative, it's also explainable and a question mark raised in the mind of anyone reviewing my application...

Members don't see this ad.

I got an email this morning that I would be getting the 2nd highest recommendation "Strongly Recommend" for my committee letter, with the decision to not give the highest recommendation based upon my lack of credit heavy semesters. I'm a non-trad, and for various reasons (running my own business, 2-hr round trip commute to school) it was difficult to take more than 2-3 courses a semester. The committee acknowledged this in their email, but still decided they couldn't give their highest recommendation without my having taken multiple 14+ credit hour semesters during my time there. Which is fine, I understand and expected that I would have to address it during the application process. Otherwise they were very glowing in the interviews and I'm sure in the LOR.

My bachelor's was almost 20 years ago, so getting non-science LOR from that era is nigh on impossible, and I know when available the pre-med committee letter is considered more valuable than individual LOR -- which is why I decided to go that route, however I'm reconsidering now.

I realize few have a window into the world of adcoms, but given that as a non-trad student a committee letter wouldn't necessarily be expected, if two glowing science LORs and perhaps "real-world" LOR might trump a "strongly recommend" from the pre-med committee.

TL;DR I'm old with a lot of things working against me (and a good many things working for me) in applying, tell me a 4/5 from my pre-med committee is nothing to worry about. Also, will the committee address the reasoning in their letter and if not should I perhaps ask them to. While my lack of grueling semesters is a negative, it's also explainable and a question mark raised in the mind of anyone reviewing my application...
A “strongly recommend” from the committee sounds good to me. I’m sure they can’t give the highest rank to everyone.

Reactions: 1 user
It sounds like a strong recommendation, and using a committee letter is SO much easier than using individual letters. I would probably use the committee if I had the option. But I understand the concern and would like to hear from an adcom as well.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Unless the premed committee sends a decoder ring with the letter, med schools will never even know there was something above "strongly recommend". If adcoms know your school has a premed committee and you don't use their letter, they may wonder what the committee said that you didn't like. I strongly recommend you use the committee letter.

Note to premed committees: Please send me a decoder ring. That would be awesome.

Reactions: 6 users
Unless the premed committee sends a decoder ring with the letter, med schools will never even know there was something above "strongly recommend". If adcoms know your school has a premed committee and you don't use their letter, they may wonder what the committee said that you didn't like. I strongly recommend you use the committee letter.

Note to premed committees: Please send me a decoder ring. That would be awesome.
Yet again, HS comes through!

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

“We strongly recommend this student” = “be sure to drink your ovaltine”

Reactions: 4 users
“We strongly recommend this student” = “Run. Run, and don’t look back.”

Send the letter lol.

Thanks for all the feedback. I knew I was being a bit neurotic, but that seems to be par for the course for pre-Meds --and even non-traditionals should be allowed indulge in it from time to time.
I see all these perfect GPAs and MCATs from applicants with lives and academics focused on medicine from the age of 6 and it's hard not to feel inadequate and regret my somewhat spotty early academic performance and want everything that I can control at this point to be the best it can be.

Thanks again!