Unsure of field

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartpandp

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am interested in working in a lab and analyzing samples or something like that. Diagnostics sort of. Is there some sort of medical field or degree that I might want to look into. Basically, I am interested in looking at all the information and coming to a conclusion. If I am not if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someine can help me.

Members don't see this ad.

iheartpandp said:
I am interested in working in a lab and analyzing samples or something like that. Diagnostics sort of. Is there some sort of medical field or degree that I might want to look into. Basically, I am interested in looking at all the information and coming to a conclusion. If I am not if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someine can help me.

you can do that with a BS in chemistry, biochem, bio, or medical technology

I think medical technology is one of the most common routes of doing this sort of stuff. But as the above poster pointed out, you could pretty much do that with a microbio degree or other scientific degrees.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can also do this type of lab work in Pathology. Pathology as a field is comprised of surgical pathology (looking at tissue slides) as well as clinical pathology (hematology, blood bank, lab testing, etc). Pathologist also do autopsies if you are interested in that field, but most choose not to. Pathologists not only work in hospitals and labs, but they are heavily recruited to work for pharmaceutical, biomedical, and chemical industries, and they make BANK ranging from $165-200K in academic centers to $200-500K for private practice/lab practice. If you ONLY want to work in a lab setting, maybe a PHD is better. If you are open to getting your butt rocked by medical school and residency, then an MD and pathology residency may be the best thing.

sscooterguy

sscooterguy said:
You can also do this type of lab work in Pathology. Pathology as a field is comprised of surgical pathology (looking at tissue slides) as well as clinical pathology (hematology, blood bank, lab testing, etc). Pathologist also do autopsies if you are interested in that field, but most choose not to. Pathologists not only work in hospitals and labs, but they are heavily recruited to work for pharmaceutical, biomedical, and chemical industries, and they make BANK ranging from $165-200K in academic centers to $200-500K for private practice/lab practice. If you ONLY want to work in a lab setting, maybe a PHD is better. If you are open to getting your butt rocked by medical school and residency, then an MD and pathology residency may be the best thing.

sscooterguy

I concur.

This is good advice, I am sure the OP will appreciate it.