1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Unsure of field

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by iheartpandp, Dec 8, 2005.

1. iheartpandp

iheartpandp Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

I am interested in working in a lab and analyzing samples or something like that. Diagnostics sort of. Is there some sort of medical field or degree that I might want to look into. Basically, I am interested in looking at all the information and coming to a conclusion. If I am not if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully someine can help me.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. olomide

olomide Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    you can do that with a BS in chemistry, biochem, bio, or medical technology

4. gujuDoc

10+ Year Member

Medical Student, Resident [Any Field]
    I think medical technology is one of the most common routes of doing this sort of stuff. But as the above poster pointed out, you could pretty much do that with a microbio degree or other scientific degrees.

5. sscooterguy

sscooterguy Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You can also do this type of lab work in Pathology. Pathology as a field is comprised of surgical pathology (looking at tissue slides) as well as clinical pathology (hematology, blood bank, lab testing, etc). Pathologist also do autopsies if you are interested in that field, but most choose not to. Pathologists not only work in hospitals and labs, but they are heavily recruited to work for pharmaceutical, biomedical, and chemical industries, and they make BANK ranging from $165-200K in academic centers to $200-500K for private practice/lab practice. If you ONLY want to work in a lab setting, maybe a PHD is better. If you are open to getting your butt rocked by medical school and residency, then an MD and pathology residency may be the best thing.

sscooterguy

6. Its_MurDAH

Its_MurDAH The DaVinci Savant
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I concur.

This is good advice, I am sure the OP will appreciate it.