Unsure of how to personally attack Verbal...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicalAuthor

Class of Twenty Seventeen
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on Day 4 of the SN2ed 3-month plan. I took one of the verbal tests in ExamKrackers today to see what my baseline is, and I scored 44/60 and it took me 83 minutes to get though the 9 passages. According to the back of the book, that's a 9 (and one away from a 10!). I'm shooting for 12 and 13's in each section for the actual MCAT.

Currently, I have no 'strategy.' I read through the passages and try to mentally acknowledge the key points/what each sentence is saying as I go along. It takes me about 2 minutes to read the passage. Then I'd say I have to go back for about 1/4 - 1/3 of the questions. Sometimes it's just a quick glance, other times I re-read a few sentences to a paragraph.

My question is, should I adopt a 'strategy'? I've seen mention os various ones on this site/by different MCAT prep companies. I'm thinking that either I could experiment with different strategies and see how they work or I could stick with what I'm doing now and, with 3-months of practice, gradually bring my score up. I'm conflicted because I don't want to waste time either way: I don't want to spend a month or so trying to figure out what strategy is best and then trying to get comfortable with it, but at the same time, even though I didn't score too bad for a 'cold-run,' I don't know if I'm bound to be limited by my current 'strategy' or if I will inevitably get better with practice.

I must include a sidenote: I'm really wary of 'strategies.' In other words, for example, reading the first paragraph and then the last and skimming in between would make me anxious, I think, because it seems like a gambling strategy. But, at the same time, I'm willing to do what is needed.

So wanted to get perspectives o people who have been through this stage.

Members don't see this ad.

With me, I started out with a 10 on EK verbal and as I practiced more with additional AAMCs and tpr verbal workbook I came to anticipate the type of big idea questions that would be asked. I never adopted a mapping strategies just read not for detail but for big picture type of thing. This post probably isn't much help but what I and alot of others will tell you is just to practice practice practice for verbal. I got a 12 on test day for VR if that means anything. Best of luck to you in your studies.

Get the EK verbal/math strategy book. Its got some good tips on using natural intuition that really work.

I'm like you. I read the passage and make mental notes of what I think is important and will be asked about in the questions. These notes include anything from some quick math about dates to locations of unfamiliar words or interesting points made within the passage. I typically take about 3 minutes to read the passage and very rarely look back at it when answering questions.

I started out in TPRH VW getting about 4/7 on average. I think that comes out to be about a 7-8 on the MCAT. The past two days I've done practice tests (TPRH) and gotten two 12's and a 13.

I don't think you need to have a strategy, per se, but it is important to familiarize yourself with how the passages work, what kinds of questions you will see, and how to identify the right answers. There is certainly a pattern to VR. I can't tell you what it is, because I can't really identify it myself, but I often can pick out what is going to be asked about as I read the passage. I can also often identify the wrong answers pretty easily because they are either too broad, too specific, or are true based on background knowledge, but not mentioned anywhere in the passage.

VR is all about practice imo. Get used to the fatigue factor of reading 6-9 passages without a break.

I'm like you. I read the passage and make mental notes of what I think is important and will be asked about in the questions. These notes include anything from some quick math about dates to locations of unfamiliar words or interesting points made within the passage. I typically take about 3 minutes to read the passage and very rarely look back at it when answering questions.

I started out in TPRH VW getting about 4/7 on average. I think that comes out to be about a 7-8 on the MCAT. The past two days I've done practice tests (TPRH) and gotten two 12's and a 13.

I don't think you need to have a strategy, per se, but it is important to familiarize yourself with how the passages work, what kinds of questions you will see, and how to identify the right answers. There is certainly a pattern to VR. I can't tell you what it is, because I can't really identify it myself, but I often can pick out what is going to be asked about as I read the passage. I can also often identify the wrong answers pretty easily because they are either too broad, too specific, or are true based on background knowledge, but not mentioned anywhere in the passage.

VR is all about practice imo. Get used to the fatigue factor of reading 6-9 passages without a break.

Hey MedPR. Reading your post on how you improved your verbal is really inspiring. How are you currently doing in the Verbal?