Unsure of how to proceed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

YankeesfanZF5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As of now, I am planning to take the mcat the summer I graduate. So I will have a year until I can apply. I will have 2 years before hopeful entry into school. Not worred because no debt but I was wondering what be more beneficial for medical school. Either going another year of school taking various courses or go get an EMT/medically related job and take a class to keep my mind in Academia. Should I continue with more academia or get out and work while applying to medical school. So I am wondering if going a 5th year to take some fun classes and keep my grades in 3.9 area or work and do other things with life. Also, I like school and get along with many professors, it is a small school. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

After you graduate, look at your app and see what would benefit most from this extra time. If your GPA is on the lower end, classes. If you have few clinical/volunteering hours, that. The way ADCOMs will judge your extra/gap years is if you fix a perceived 'deficit.' When the time comes, look at what is most needed and go from there. Reflection and determining your deficits is an important skill for doctors.

Reactions: 1 user
After you graduate, look at your app and see what would benefit most from this extra time. If your GPA is on the lower end, classes. If you have few clinical/volunteering hours, that. The way ADCOMs will judge your extra/gap years is if you fix a perceived 'deficit.' When the time comes, look at what is most needed and go from there. Reflection and determining your deficits is an important skill for doctors.
Thanks and grades are not the problem! I do need more experience in the medical field. As long as I am working towards improving myself and trying to build a better application for med school I feel like those gap years are not a big deal.

Reflection is key! I will start looking at where I lack as of now thanks again!