Unsure of how to proceed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperaeroplane

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am strongly considering a future career in clinical psychology. I was considering going the PsyD route, but I am a little scared of going into that much debt. Also, I think conducting research and teaching could be a potential interest of mine. However, I am coming to the field of psychology with not too much experience. I recently graduated with a degree in History (but I almost double majored in Psychology, I took 10 classes in college). Other than being a research assistant for a psych lab study my senior year, I have no real lab or clinical experience. My question is, how should I proceed if I want to be admitted into a PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

To give you a little more info about myself, I have a 3.7 gpa from a top liberal arts school, and I have done well in all the psych classes I have taken. I have taken Intro, Stats, Social, Personality, Physio, Developmental, Rsrch methods in developmental, and a seminar in Developmental. Would it be advisable to apply to a master's in experimental psychology to take more classes and get more research experience in the lab? (I have read that PhD programs look more favorably on BA's than MA's in psychology, while PsyD's look more favorably on MA's.) Or can I get lab experience by working as a research assistant? Also, does anyone know how to go about finding research assistant positions for college graduates?-- are they really competitive to get?

First things first: If you are considering a career in research or academia, I would strongly recommend focusing on PhD programs rather than the PsyD. I would recommend you consider a PsyD program only if you are interested in a career as a practitioner.

Though you were not a psychology major your research experience and grades in psychology courses should serve you well. If you have not yet taken abnormal psych or a stand-alone research methods course you may be required to take these as a condition of admission to a PhD program.

How to proceed from here? I would find a copy of Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology (should be able to find it at a university library or Barnes & Noble, Borders, etc). Find some programs that have faculty whose research interests you, then send an email to the training director of these programs and ask them what courses or other special preparation they recommend for non-psychology majors. This will a. get your name in their heads and b. hopefully get you a few candid words on what they are looking for.

Take a good look through the beginning of the Insider's Guide, too. That book was an important part of my grad school application process (as well as many of my fellow students). Finally, keep in mind that the admissions process can often be about people. In order to leverage this element in your favor, it is helpful to seek out people who will write you great letters of recommendation and also to make a little bit of contact with faculty you might be interested in working with at programs you apply to. Best wishes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Would it be advisable to apply to a master's in experimental psychology to take more classes and get more research experience in the lab? (I have read that PhD programs look more favorably on BA's than MA's in psychology, while PsyD's look more favorably on MA's.) Or can I get lab experience by working as a research assistant?

Either of the options you present here are good ways of gaining the research experience you will need to be competitive for PhD programs. I would go with the one that gives you the most money, meaning either a paid research position or a funded masters program that pays a stipend (there are a few threads on this board with lists of the latter).

Also, the idea that PhD programs prefer candidates with only a BA/BS is a fallacy. Yes, most of those who are admitted to PhD programs do not already have a graduate degree, but these people also make up the majority of the applicant pool. They are not getting preferential treatment.

thanks for all the advice! I just emailed a professor whose research interested me because I could not find a training director...I hope that is okay....

thanks for all the advice! I just emailed a professor whose research interested me because I could not find a training director...I hope that is okay....

emailing professors is good, particuarly if you are interested in starting up a conversation about a particular area of research and/or finding out if they're taking on students in the coming year. now all you have to do is go buy that book (insider's guide)... it's worth it, for sure! good luck!