Unsure of What to Do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Discipulus vita

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, people. First, some background on me.
Cellular and Molecular Biology Major and Chemistry Mino
3.4 undergraduate cGPA
3.3 undergraduate sGPA
worked for 3 years at a hospital as a CNA and patient sitter
definitely need to retake the MCAT - only hit the 30th percentile

Now. Here's the issue. I am finishing up my bachelor's degree this December. Should I get a master's degree starting in Fall 2018 or take a semester to study for the MCAT, take it again early next year, and apply to medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

3.4 undergraduate cGPA
3.3 undergraduate sGPA

Now. Here's the issue. I am finishing up my bachelor's degree this December. Should I get a master's degree starting in Fall 2018 or take a semester to study for the MCAT, take it again early next year, and apply to medical school?

I vouch for a retake.

Reactions: 1 user
3.4 undergraduate cGPA
3.3 undergraduate sGPA

Nail the MCAT and have some great shadowing/volunteer clinical experiences (preferably in an underserved area). My cGPA is 3.45 and my sGPA is 3.35. Right now I have 4 interviews. I think your GPAs are fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
yea just focus on MCAT! Only go to grad school if you want to, not to enhance your GPAs (which are OK for DO)

Retake MCAT! Youre good elsewhere. Only do a masters if you are bored or really want to.

MCAT...MCAT....MCAT!!!!

Why did you do so poorly?
First time taking it while working a 12hr shift job most of the week and didn't study properly. Any recommendations on how to study for it though would be helpful!

Mcat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

First time taking it while working a 12hr shift job most of the week and didn't study properly. Any recommendations on how to study for it though would be helpful!
Check out the MCAT forum for advice.

The MCAT is a high-stakes career deciding exam. Do not take it until you are 100% ready!

Check out the MCAT forum for advice.

The MCAT is a high-stakes career deciding exam. Do not take it until you are 100% ready!

Seconded.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

I hear you. I worked 3 x 12s or 4 x 10s a week while studying for the MCAT. I used the self study Kaplan course, Khan Academy, and the official practice tests. it took me ~5 months to feel "good" about taking it. You can do it.