unsure where to post this,

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cemented

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why is the Mass action law not affected by catalysts?

say you have a reaction
aA+bB---->cC=dD and the mass action law is C^c x D^d/ A^a x B^b. If the reaction is depended upon an enzyme that shifts the reaction to the right, if it where removed, why would the mass action number be the same considering the concentrations for C and D have decreased? Am I a ***** for not getting this?
HELP!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think its because catalysts don't shift the equilibrium one way or the other, they simply lower the energy of activation (for both the forward and reverse reactions).

I think its because catalysts don't shift the equilibrium one way or the other, they simply lower the energy of activation (for both the forward and reverse reactions).

that and also enzymes (or catalysts) are not products or reactants so you do not incorporate them into the law. They are not reacting with the substrates, rather just 'help' them react faster (by for instance orienting them in space so they can better collide etc.).

Thanks Girls, I apperciate (sp?) all of your finely stated answers and GujuDoc thanks for the additional comment.
I am also taking my MCAT april 16th and it was the same date that I took it 2 years ago also. I keep having nightmares about a repeat expierence.:(
Best of luck to all of you