• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

cemented

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
South Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Why is the Mass action law not affected by catalysts?

say you have a reaction
aA+bB---->cC=dD and the mass action law is C^c x D^d/ A^a x B^b. If the reaction is depended upon an enzyme that shifts the reaction to the right, if it where removed, why would the mass action number be the same considering the concentrations for C and D have decreased? Am I a ***** for not getting this?
HELP!!!!!

acurax

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I think its because catalysts don't shift the equilibrium one way or the other, they simply lower the energy of activation (for both the forward and reverse reactions).

dr.kicia

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2003
where the heart is***
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I think its because catalysts don't shift the equilibrium one way or the other, they simply lower the energy of activation (for both the forward and reverse reactions).

that and also enzymes (or catalysts) are not products or reactants so you do not incorporate them into the law. They are not reacting with the substrates, rather just 'help' them react faster (by for instance orienting them in space so they can better collide etc.).

cemented

10+ Year Member
Dec 6, 2006
South Florida
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Thanks Girls, I apperciate (sp?) all of your finely stated answers and GujuDoc thanks for the additional comment.
I am also taking my MCAT april 16th and it was the same date that I took it 2 years ago also. I keep having nightmares about a repeat expierence.:(
Best of luck to all of you

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.