Unsure whether to apply MD/MBA with a 770 GMAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ironlionzion

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick stats: 3.9 cGPA/sGPA, 35 mcat
-PBK, Omicron Delta Epsilon, magna cum laude.
-Significant research experience
-Below average volunteering, decent clinical volunteering/shadowing

I'm applying during this upcoming cycle to medical school and but I'm unsure of my goals. My primary goal, obviously, is to be a practicing clinician. I also want research to play a small small (10-20%) in my career. However, I really enjoy economics and business analysis, and majored in it in college. I don't predict I will ever want to be a hospital CEO, administrator, or a doc in big pharma. I do see the value, however, as being an effective manager in many traditional clinical settings, from the hospital to private practice. I took the GMAT and scored a 770, which is a notch better than the top 1%. Problem is, I really want to combine medicine, research, and business training. I may see it as completely compatible, but how will adcoms view it? Research isn't about the money, and I worry involving business school training into my application will make my commitment to research sound disingenuous. Whenever I mention MD/MBA to anyone, they always say something about the money (not in a bad way or anything).

What do you guys think? Is it worth mentioning the interest in MBA school, and even applying directly to the MD/MBA? Will my high GMAT help me get in? Or should I just apply MD now, hide my intentions for the MBA, and apply to the MBA internally once I'm accepted?

Members don't see this ad.

Quick stats: 3.9 cGPA/sGPA, 35 mcat
-PBK, Omicron Delta Epsilon, magna cum laude.
-Significant research experience
-Below average volunteering, decent clinical volunteering/shadowing

I'm applying during this upcoming cycle to medical school and but I'm unsure of my goals. My primary goal, obviously, is to be a practicing clinician. I also want research to play a small small (10-20%) in my career. However, I really enjoy economics and business analysis, and majored in it in college. I don't predict I will ever want to be a hospital CEO, administrator, or a doc in big pharma. I do see the value, however, as being an effective manager in many traditional clinical settings, from the hospital to private practice. I took the GMAT and scored a 770, which is a notch better than the top 1%. Problem is, I really want to combine medicine, research, and business training. I may see it as completely compatible, but how will adcoms view it? Research isn't about the money, and I worry involving business school training into my application will make my commitment to research sound disingenuous. Whenever I mention MD/MBA to anyone, they always say something about the money (not in a bad way or anything).

What do you guys think? Is it worth mentioning the interest in MBA school, and even applying directly to the MD/MBA? Will my high GMAT help me get in? Or should I just apply MD now, hide my intentions for the MBA, and apply to the MBA internally once I'm accepted?

Awesome scores, man.

You remind me a lot of myself (in the "interests dept"). If you apply MD/MBA, obviously you will need to blatantly address/expound upon your interests in business. Spin it right and you will have no problem with admissions.

Your GMAT will not help you get a medical school acceptance, although it will certainly charm the MBA admissions process (as you know, more often than not, you have to apply "separately").

All that said, you won't have problems getting accepted into the MBA program once matriculated to your MD program of interest.

Either way works.

That is, unless you can't come up with a good pitch on "why business"... in which case prob better to keep it hush hush until after you have your foot in the door.

Last edited: