Unteachable????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grazia Lamberti

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How's this for a horrible secret: Hi, my name is Dr. Lamberti, and I'm a surgery intern who doesn't know how to suture.

I am becoming worried that I'm truly not teachable with respect to technical skills. I practice a lot (as of this week, I've started practicing daily.) But it takes me multiple tries to position the needle correctly for each bite, my needle driver is always popping open (either that or I can't open it), and the needle is constantly rotating within the grasp of the needle driver. This makes it impossible for me to control my placement as well as where the needle exits. Even when I do manage to throw a few running sub cuticular stitches in a row, the edges are usually approximated in a very jagged fashion, because I can't seem to manipulate the tissue with the pickups in a way to avoid this.

Part of the problem is that my suture kit has a bunch of 2.0 PDS and the teeniest needle driver in history. But honestly, most of the problem....is me.

I obviously can't talk to anyone in my program about this, so I was thinking of putting up a Craig's list shingles to see if some retired suture tech or something would want to make a few bucks and give me lessons. The other part of the problem is that I surely won't be able to produce results when someone is yelling in my face in the OR, if I can't even do it in the privacy of my own living room.

Thoughts? Experiences from those who struggled technically? If I truly can't do it, I'd rather find out now than chief year... Is this ever a deal-breaker? I think I'm developing a bit of a mental block about it: the more I struggle and agonize, the harder it becomes.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
How's this for a horrible secret: Hi, my name is Dr. Lamberti, and I'm a surgery intern who doesn't know how to suture.

I am becoming worried that I'm truly not teachable with respect to technical skills. I practice a lot (as of this week, I've started practicing daily.) But it takes me multiple tries to position the needle correctly for each bite, my needle driver is always popping open (either that or I can't open it), and the needle is constantly rotating within the grasp of the needle driver. This makes it impossible for me to control my placement as well as where the needle exits. Even when I do manage to throw a few running sub cuticular stitches in a row, the edges are usually approximated in a very jagged fashion, because I can't seem to manipulate the tissue with the pickups in a way to avoid this.

Part of the problem is that my suture kit has a bunch of 2.0 PDS and the teeniest needle driver in history. But honestly, most of the problem....is me.

I obviously can't talk to anyone in my program about this, so I was thinking of putting up a Craig's list shingles to see if some retired suture tech or something would want to make a few bucks and give me lessons. The other part of the problem is that I surely won't be able to produce results when someone is yelling in my face in the OR, if I can't even do it in the privacy of my own living room.

Thoughts? Experiences from those who struggled technically? If I truly can't do it, I'd rather find out now than chief year... Is this ever a deal-breaker? I think I'm developing a bit of a mental block about it: the more I struggle and agonize, the harder it becomes.

Your problem sounds like you don't ask for help and you're using ****ty instruments.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I obviously will let someone teach me, I'm just not sure who to trust yet. I need a "safe" person who can help me troubleshoot and get up to par first.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I obviously will let someone teach me, I'm just not sure who to trust yet. I need a "safe" person who can help me troubleshoot and get up to par first.

You don't have any senior residents or same-year residents you can ask? Someone you are friends with who won't hold it against you?

If your skills are as bad as you say they are, then, trust me, your faculty know. There is no shame in asking for help.

Reactions: 1 user
For clarity: I'm a brand new intern, as in freshly graduated. So, no one knows this, and I don't know anyone very well.

For clarity: I'm a brand new intern, as in freshly graduated. So, no one knows this, and I don't know anyone very well.

You're all working together at this point as part of a team, not in competition, and this idea of feeling like you can't tell anybody where you're struggling or need help because you don't want to look bad needs to stop. You should try to reach out to your cointerns; ask if anyone feels comfortable with suturing that could help out, or if anyone else wants to go to the skills lab and practice sometime. If somebody at your own level looks down on you, or talks bad about you, or tries to drop hints to the upper levels/attendings about how crappy you are, then they are the POS in the group, not you.

Ahh - I thought you were just finishing internship.

In this case, don't worry about it. You will learn.

Reactions: 1 users
You're going to laugh about this post 5 years from now when you are starting your first attending job and are an amazing suturer ;)

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah. I wouldn't worry too much about this. I have never seen a surgery resident who didn't learn to suture. Take a few deep breaths. You'll be fine -- in like 2 weeks.

Yeah, tis a silly post. Talk to any of your other residents. I'm finishing intern year and I still ask about suturing and ways to get better....it's residency...the exact reason you do residency is to learn.

Reactions: 3 users
I thought it was a troll post.

You will be just fine. Dont worry. Enjoy intern year.