UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Furthermore, if you were able to score a 515 on the MCAT, you should definitely be able to do well in the program (granted you put in the work)!

Thanks, you did the MedSci and were successful, like a lot of others here. Everyone talks so highly of it, so I think I'm going to go with the UNT MedSci one. The Touro one is curved, which I hate. Also, it is new and not well know. I have difficulty with memorization, so that is why even now I struggle quite a bit with college courses. Thanks a lot!

Members don't see this ad.

Could someone be kind enough to update us on the Facebook group countright now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone have the UNT Med Sci Bible? I'm in for 2016-2017, and have been looking high and low for it. If you can't post it, please PM me or start a conversation with me, however it works, just joined, lol :)

Good luck to everyone else who just got in! It is going to be one hell of a year. I'm sure this will break every single one of us, but hopefully it will build us back up too. Really hope everyone is chill, not crazy high strung, hard working, not whining, and looking out for each other, not foolishly being cut-throat competitive. If we all take this on together, we'll all benefit - helping someone out in the summer, may end up helping you out in the spring, etc., and if we really have each other's backs, next year a lot more of us will be going to medical school, somewhere, and a lot less of us will feel like we got screwed over and wasted a year of our lives.

Anyone know if we can start shadowing hours now and try to get them complete before orientation/class start?

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have the UNT Med Sci Bible?

Anyone know if we can start shadowing hours now and try to get them complete before orientation/class start?

Thanks!

Not sure what you are referring to when you say MedSci Bible.

Regarding the shadowing, you can start now once you get an approved preceptor. They sent out an email about two weeks ago (with a list and forms) about it that I'm sure you'll get shortly since you were just accepted.

Not sure what you are referring to when you say MedSci Bible.

Regarding the shadowing, you can start now once you get an approved preceptor. They sent out an email about two weeks ago (with a list and forms) about it that I'm sure you'll get shortly since you were just accepted.

Awesome!

Thanks for the shadowing info, I appreciate it. As for the B-I-B-L-E, I'm referring to one admirable post from last year, (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-2016-texas-smp.1101596/page-18#post-16646502), lol. I really hope it exists and is helpful. I'd also love to hear from previous graduates too. I think the insight and advice they have could easily be the difference between going to medical school and not for some. I'm not looking for shortcuts, nor to cut my studying time in half, I'm just hoping to go in as prepared as possible and not waste any time. Work hard or work smart - I'm sure this year will require both.

Congrats on getting in!

Awesome!

Thanks for the shadowing info, I appreciate it. As for the B-I-B-L-E, I'm referring to one admirable post from last year, (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...-2016-texas-smp.1101596/page-18#post-16646502), lol. I really hope it exists and is helpful. I'd also love to hear from previous graduates too. I think the insight and advice they have could easily be the difference between going to medical school and not for some. I'm not looking for shortcuts, nor to cut my studying time in half, I'm just hoping to go in as prepared as possible and not waste any time. Work hard or work smart - I'm sure this year will require both.

Congrats on getting in!

That link is super helpful - thank you!

I'm new to this thread (just discovered it yesterday lol). I submitted my app 2/25 and it has been "complete" for some weeks now. I called today to see if my app has at least been reviewed and was told that the committee has not yet reached a decision. I'm hanging in there, but it's difficult!

I'm new to this thread (just discovered it yesterday lol). I submitted my app 2/25 and it has been "complete" for some weeks now. I called today to see if my app has at least been reviewed and was told that the committee has not yet reached a decision. I'm hanging in there, but it's difficult!

Cheer up, I think the fact that you haven't received a rejection yet is a positive thing. It seems from other posts that they accepted who they wanted to accept for sure, and rejected some applications and now are wait-listing applicants. But of course, that is just my view of things and not necessarily the case.

I've been checking in with them weekly and that's almost always their answer. But I agree with redberry123, at least we have not received a no or wait list yet. So there is still hope! They will have to get back to us soon anyways because classes start May 31st. Good luck!!!

Cheer up, I think the fact that you haven't received a rejection yet is a positive thing. It seems from other posts that they accepted who they wanted to accept for sure, and rejected some applications and now are wait-listing applicants. But of course, that is just my view of things and not necessarily the case.

Thanks! I get on here and I see folks who are really harsh under the guise as being realistic so I appreciate the kind words!

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been checking in with them weekly and that's almost always their answer. But I agree with redberry123, at least we have not received a no or wait list yet. So there is still hope! They will have to get back to us soon anyways because classes start May 31st. Good luck!!!

Thank you so much! I hope I get an update soon.

Still have not heard anything back regarding financial aid. Submitted my FAFSA in late February. Admitted in late March. If I'm not mistaken, we were supposed to hear something back from the financial aid office in late April? Anybody else in the same boat?

Still have not heard anything back regarding financial aid. Submitted my FAFSA in late February. Admitted in late March. If I'm not mistaken, we were supposed to hear something back from the financial aid office in late April? Anybody else in the same boat?
I submitted my FAFSA April 12th and just got my award offer 2-3 days ago. From what I understand, everyone gets automatically approved for $20,500. This is the amount I was offered. Do you know how to view your award info on MyHSC? I saw that I had been approved there on Sunday or Monday and then the next day I got an automated email about it.

They sent my financial aid packet this Monday (may 2nd) and I received my acceptance last week. I also sent in my FAFSA around February.

Any new acceptances/ wailisting this week?

Nothing yet for me at least. Still waiting (im)patiently ;)

I believe this week is the last week of exams for the 2015-2016 classes, so perhaps we will a lot of movement later today/ tomorrow :thinking:

We just gotta keep the positive vibes up! :headphone:

For all the people in the program who have to retake the mcat, when are you guys retaking it? Apparently the course does not end until early August! That's super late for this application cycle!

For all the people in the program who have to retake the mcat, when are you guys retaking it? Apparently the course does not end until early August! That's super late for this application cycle!

Yes if I get, in that's when I plan on retaking it. TMDSAS says that you have to at least take it by September. So yeah technically it's late but if you improve it should be totally worth it.

Nothing yet for me at least. Still waiting (im)patiently ;)

I believe this week is the last week of exams for the 2015-2016 classes, so perhaps we will a lot of movement later today/ tomorrow :thinking:

We just gotta keep the positive vibes up! :headphone:

I hope so, there's still 20 something days left before the program starts. Iam just not sure if I should register for the June MCAT and renew my job contract for another year, or start looking for a place to live in fortworth:)

I hope so, there's still 20 something days left before the program starts. Iam just not sure if I should register for the June MCAT and renew my job contract for another year, or start looking for a place to live in fortworth:)

Yeah that's the most difficult thing. People need to plan accordingly and it doesn't help that everything is so last minute. Hoping you'll get to make a decision soon.

Yes if I get, in that's when I plan on retaking it. TMDSAS says that you have to at least take it by September. So yeah technically it's late but if you improve it should be totally worth it.
Thank you! And I wish you the best, I hope you get in!!

Sigh, well guys its been fun but I received my rejection email yesterday. :( Good luck to everyone on the waitlist! And have fun everyone who made it in!

Does anyone know what kind of computer we will be getting for the program? is it worth the $2000 price tag? Also, if the computer is an apple, would I have any difficulty if I chose to use a PC - for example, would I be able to open notes, complete and submit assignments, and etc?

Does anyone know what kind of computer we will be getting for the program? is it worth the $2000 price tag? Also, if the computer is an apple, would I have any difficulty if I chose to use a PC - for example, would I be able to open notes, complete and submit assignments, and etc?

From what I've read/understand it's a MacBook Pro and an iPad mini. I've also heard that you HAVE to use them because they're loaded with the software needed for exams. Unless if they change what they've done in the past, I would expect it to be that way.

From what I've read/understand it's a MacBook Pro and an iPad mini. I've also heard that you HAVE to use them because they're loaded with the software needed for exams. Unless if they change what they've done in the past, I would expect it to be that way.
Dang. I was hoping for a surface pro. Thanks for the info!

Word, PPt, PDF, etc. works the same across all machines. It doesn't matter if you're using mac or windows. You won't come across any compatibility issues. Once you start using your mac you won't want to switch back to using anything else. Trust me.

Does everyone basically use their iPad to take notes, or do people do the usual pen and paper? I would assume there are lots of slides/notes to be taken so maybe paper and pen would be too much? Thanks!

I got wait-listed.. and the wait continues. Any news from the applicants who were previously wait-listed yet?

Do we know any specifics for this year's technology package? Besides the fact that it is a MacBook Pro and an iPad.

Does everyone basically use their iPad to take notes, or do people do the usual pen and paper? I would assume there are lots of slides/notes to be taken so maybe paper and pen would be too much? Thanks!
Yea, this was exactly the reason why I wanted a surface pro. I can digitalize my textbooks and write note on my computer, surface pro is an absolutely amazing hand-note-taking machine, that way I will be carrying only my computer for the entire year and hopefully through my medical school. If I don't have to stick with the mac products, I am considering selling the macbook pro and ipad and getting a surface pro and financing my textbook digitalization efforts, which isn't too hard with despining at kinkos and a decent book scanner. I've done my MCAT study with just a small laptop this way - worked liked a dream and saved my back.

There's a brand new post-bacc program opening up in Texas. Looks like it's being hosted by The University of Incarnate Word, which is expecting to fire up it's D.O. program in 2017. Looks like it could be a pretty good... but the price tag for their post-bacc program. Nearly $36k. Ouch.

http://www.uiw.edu/mbs/

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...rnate-word-uiw-m-b-s-texas-2016-2017.1177997/

It looks like I will be going to UIW instead of UNT. The thread for UIW has been somewhat silent so I'm curious if anyone else here applied to UIW as well

It looks like I will be going to UIW instead of UNT. The thread for UIW has been somewhat silent so I'm curious if anyone else here applied to UIW as well

I got accepted to UIW as well, but I've been advised by many professors to not go there. What's your reasoning for going there instead of UNT? For me... it'll be easier just to stay in San Antonio.

I got accepted to UIW as well, but I've been advised by many professors to not go there. What's your reasoning for going there instead of UNT? For me... it'll be easier just to stay in San Antonio.
Why have you been advised not to go? I know it's a brand new program but I think UIW is a great school with a good reputation.
The program is much smaller (50) than UNT and supposed to be more hands on. I was ask told that the program is a pipeline to the new DO program.
Also I'm just curious did you have to interview?

Why have you been advised not to go? I know it's a brand new program but I think UIW is a great school with a good reputation.
The program is much smaller (50) than UNT and supposed to be more hands on. I was ask told that the program is a pipeline to the new DO program.
Also I'm just curious did you have to interview?

From the academic professors standpoint, UIW is very pricey for an average education. My mom, who is an RN, has nursing students from the surrounding schools shadow her and she told me that every time she gets a UIW student, they are the least knowledgeable and ready. Also, there's a lot of risks with starting in a new program whereas UNT has a great reputation and established rapport with the Texas medical schools.

I went to the UIW orientation awhile back, and they stated they weren't sure what the contingencies were going to be for matriculation into their DO school. I've emailed them and called this past week and have yet to hear back from them. So I'm a bit weary on their matriculation...

I didn't have an interview, just the essays and application.

Could someone update us on the Facebook group count right now please? I am really wondering how many spots are left?

Could someone update us on the Facebook group count right now please? I am really wondering how many spots are left?
Hi there redberry, there are currently 209 members in the group

Can anyone give me some information on the preceptorship? I asked one of the people but they said they will not send out information before orientation this year...

Just withdrew my MedSci acceptance due to my acceptance into med school. I hope one of you on the waitlist gets in! :)

Is it true that the top 10% in the program are almost guaranteed admission into UNT-HSC DO school? Thank you so much

Is it true that the top 10% in the program are almost guaranteed admission into UNT-HSC DO school? Thank you so much
No. Sure, perhaps it's very likely that the top 10% may receive an offer from TCOM, but there is no "almost guarantee."

Hello, everyone.
I have a few questions regarding admissions especially since my qualifications have changed after a few retakes...
This spring semester I dedicated myself to a "Semester of RETAKES" and I was able to salvage my 2.8gpa to a 3.2. I currently have a science GPA of 3.5, my last 60 hours a 3.6 GPA, and My MCAT score is a 518.
I was wondering If in you all's opinion if this would be enough to at least help me redeem myself for my mediocre cGPA?

Hearing everyone's success stories have been an awesome motivator and have helped to keep my hopes up.
- Thanks

Former med sci student here.... there is a good chance, but I would not say "almost guaranteed"

Hello, everyone.
I have a few questions regarding admissions especially since my qualifications have changed after a few retakes...
This spring semester I dedicated myself to a "Semester of RETAKES" and I was able to salvage my 2.8gpa to a 3.2. I currently have a science GPA of 3.5, my last 60 hours a 3.6 GPA, and My MCAT score is a 518.
I was wondering If in you all's opinion if this would be enough to at least help me redeem myself for my mediocre cGPA?

Hearing everyone's success stories have been an awesome motivator and have helped to keep my hopes up.
- Thanks

You have a 518 MCAT? That's equivalent to a 38 on the old MCAT. Have you considered applying with your current stats? A 3.5 sGPA with a 518 MCAT is pretty damn competitive for Texas medical schools!

Does the M.S. program accept grade replacement? I would like to go to UNTHSC/TCOM but currently do not have the grades. I know they do not accept grade replacement but did not know if the M.S. program did. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile